Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Getting a refund from HEX, do they ever respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:02 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I purchased an advance ticket online for the Hex, not realizing that an earlier online purchased ticket (which I had already used) would still be in their system. So when I got to Paddington, I had assumed that the credit card alone would be sufficient to retrieve it. It wasn't, it asked me which confirmation number I wanted to use and didn't show the two choices to choose between.

I had a few minutes (but not longer) and went to the ticket line, where the clerk told me that she couldn't retrieve it either. Her advice: buy a new ticket and email for a refund, which given the lack of time before my plane left, is what I did. Of course, this new ticket cost more than my earlier purchase.

I have emailed twice now, a week apart, asking for a refund of this ticket and received no reply at all other than the autoreply saying "we have received your email." My next step will naturally be to challenge the charge through Amex, but I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Never mind HEX... almost every rail ticket has to be manually researched, looked into and processed even in the 21st Century. Well, only particularly in England where the rail network is in such a Third World state that it is funny when compared to the rest of Europe.

You would have to call or write them a letter. Nobody knows how to use the email... nor it seems the refund processing system.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
I'm having the same problem, so would appreciate any helpful suggestions (...perhaps based on previous experience rather than an antiquated view of the British railway system )

In my situation I bought a ticket online, turned up to retrieve the booking, and the system couldn't find it. Apparently, although it deducts the fare from your credit card instanteously, the system requires more than a couple of hours to actually upload your ticket

In addition, I missed a train while the ticket office was searching for the booking - in vain. So, double refund required as I needed to buy a new ticket, and it promises to get you there with no more than a 15 minute delay

There is never any response the customer service Hex email address, and the refund-specific email address listed on the Hex wesite is undeliverable and your email bounces back. Very irritating. Dare I say it, the response for a refund from London Underground is actually faster and more efficient...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:43 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Never mind HEX... almost every rail ticket has to be manually researched, looked into and processed even in the 21st Century. Well, only particularly in England where the rail network is in such a Third World state that it is funny when compared to the rest of Europe.
What utter nonsense. The railways here have their failings, but the vast majority of tickets are bought online or at machines.

There is an issue with the 'FastTicket' retrieval software that you have to input the booking code when there are multiple bookings against your card. Annoying, yes.

You would have to call or write them a letter. Nobody knows how to use the email... nor it seems the refund processing system.
No, they're just hopeless at customer service.

They are bound by the terms of their franchise to provide a timely response to such queries. Email them again and copy London TravelWatch and you'll get a response. They and Passenger Focus (for outside London) are very helpful when it comes to getting the TOCs to do what they should (and the more complaints they receive, the more chance of improving the service level).
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:15 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
It took me a week to get my refund - well, free ticket because of a different problem regarding a discount. I chased them up after a week and received a reply by email the day after. If you need the email address of one of their refunds personnel then just ask me but I'm sure they will respond back in due course.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:58 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In fact they did just respond, and asked for credit card info (which I didn't include in the initial email, stupid me) to refund the ticket. Will report here if it happens, thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.