2.5+ hour wait at LHR Customs today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by alanR
Thought Silverjet flew into Luton
Indeed they do.

You can also fly to BRU and get the Eurostar, if you so desire. You could even fly CO or HY (now, there's a treat) to BHX - the train from the airport to London Euston is rather speedy, if a little expensive for walk-ups.

Occasionally, too, we do get visitors from places other than the US, and they have lots of choices to all of these airports, too.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: DSM, USDM, BAEC, AAAdvan
I've found that 2+ hours to clear immigration when entering the UK at LHR or LGW is pretty much the norm for non EU citizens, unless you can afford 6-10x the price of coach to fly first class which gets you the special reserved line. I have entered the UK a few times with London as the starting point, I have vowed never again.

From now on, I'm flying into EDI. You can clear that airport in less than 30 minutes. Besides, I prefer Scotland anyway, and even in August when the festival and the Tattoo are going on, it's still far easier to drive in Edinburgh than London.

Last edited by ExitRowOrElse; Sep 25, 2007 at 4:58 pm
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ok, I stand corrected on the other airlines flying into S&L

And re: the irritated thing, it's more along the lines of when someone says they're going to such & such (whether airport or hotel) & asks for input re: said airport or hotel, and folk respond telling them they should be going to others etc when they've already booked it, instead of providing info on the specific airport/hotel asked about. I've seen that happen in both Euro & US forums; doesn't help the OP in that case, although it might for future or for others.

Good to know re: the 1-eye IRIS thing! Given it took 20 minutes to get the original registration to work, I was a bit concerned about trying to use it, it not getting a lock, and then having to head back over to the queue thereby defeating the purpose of having it.

I typically fly into LHR 4x/year, & have never had a 2.5hour immigration clear time. More like 5-15 minutes (exception being transiting from T3 to T1, which is usually 45 minutes total). Probably helps that I use the fast track when LHR is destination. Also don't make any acid comments Having said all that, am looking at European alternatives for 4Q mileage runs due to the $/GBP exchange rate.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:54 pm

Sprint

My solution for LHR immigration: sprint from plane to immigration hall. Learned lesson the hard way a couple of years ago when I got stuck behind incoming flight from Africa. It took two hours to get through. My mistake: a brief bathroom stop. Now I plan accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.