2.5+ hour wait at LHR Customs today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2.5+ hour wait at LHR Customs today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:03 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huge lines at T3 yesterday morning at 7am arrival time. Didn't check which lines it was for as I had the good fortune to be able to go straight to IRIS and was through in a flash!
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I'm going to look into this IRIS. I haven't had occasion to travel to the UK very often but this may be changing soon.

I would assume it's like CLEAR in the U.S., where you pregister with all your relevant info (identity documents and whatnot)...I know someone posted a link above, will read it when I have a bit more time (am running out the door to AMS airport soon...)
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:46 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
I'm going to look into this IRIS. I haven't had occasion to travel to the UK very often but this may be changing soon.

I would assume it's like CLEAR in the U.S., where you pregister with all your relevant info (identity documents and whatnot)...I know someone posted a link above, will read it when I have a bit more time (am running out the door to AMS airport soon...)
Couldn't see the link above. So here it is, lots of additional links on the sidebar, particularly on the in-airport offices where you have t register. Be aware though iif there are staffing issues, the IRIS offices are the first to suffer so there is no 100% guarantee they will be open when stated.

You are right it's a pre-registration service, with Iris scanning at entry.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:27 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess this is a stupid question but I haven't seen it answered elsewhere and am unfamiliar with arrivals at LHR (only ever departed from there).

Upon arrival from an international flight (I believe it arrives at T3), can I enroll in IRIS, or must I clear immigration and customs and hence no longer have access to the airside part of the terminal?

It would be convenient to enroll right after arrival, but if that won't work, I've got a flight out three days later and can do so then.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Sean
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:55 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by vysean
It would be convenient to enroll right after arrival, but if that won't work, I've got a flight out three days later and can do so then.
No. All the registration offices are airside in departures, that can only be accessed by departing pax.

You should be able to register as you leave, although the offices are sometimes closed due to "operational reasons"

IRIS - Registration Offices & Times
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by kt74
^ Here here. As a regular foreign traveller into both the US and UK, LHR is relatively benign, even on a bad day. Your alternatives are STN, LTN and LCY, which have relatively few non-EU travellers (e.g. at its most extreme, arriving from MCO on VS, you will waltz to the front of the non-existent non-EU line, while 400 people fight through the EU queue). Alternatively, IRIS, also suggested above

As for ORD and IAD, don't get me started. Last month I arrived at ORD, I queued for an hour, only to be directed to the other immigration hall with about 50 other people, from where I was then directed to return to the back of the line in the first hall . 4 immigration officers for non-US passengers arriving from about 10 flights, leading to an over 3 hour wait

Lucky I didn't have a connection, and didn't mind missing my dinner date - anyone trying to re-book their connecting flight or contact loved ones got barked at for trying to use a mobile phone in the immigration line (why???)
Gotta say I agree. The only time I've hade a real immigration nightmare was arriving in Cairo after midnight years ago, and IAD. IAD/ORD for U.S. citzens are worse then I've ever seen for anybody at LHR. I pity those who have to wait in the "foreigner" line.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Sounds like standard operating procedure for Heathrow. I definitely avoid that airport like the plague. I did write a complaint regarding an extremely unpleasant person who checked my passport this summer to:

Davis Bates
Assistant Director Terminals 1 and 2
UK Immigration Service
Room 217
Terminal 2
Heathrow Airport
Middlesex
TW6 1ND

0208 745 6899

[email protected]

He was referred to me Ms. Natalie Galloway of BAA. I wrote my email over a week ago and never got a response. What seems kind of silly is that, is anyone doubting that there is a problem? These people work there daily....what is the difficulty with hiring more immigration agents to reduce the lines? Major newspapers have covered the state of things in this airport...what more do they need to know to make improvements?

They can spend money on signs that note that you are prohibited from harassing employees, but they can't spend money on improving the airport so that people aren't driven to such a mad state that they would attack an employee. What silliness.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Anyone got a link to a thread on the relative merits of London airports? I know I've not made my last trip there, and would be interested to know if any of the others (Gatwick, Stansted, Luton) are significantly better or worse in regard to travel time, ease of use, etc.

I've done some searches and have found a wealth of useful info but nothing on that specifically. I may start a thread the next time I'm contemplating a trip over...

I do have to give BA props on one issue: I very nearly missed my flight LHR-JFK thanks to a delay at AMS...my bags didn't make the flight but were delivered only 30 or so hours later, a significant improvement over what folks apparently experienced over the summer vis a vis lost bags at LHR...http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711312

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Sep 24, 2007 at 11:23 am
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by phreegreens
I don't want to turn this to a US-UK debate but in recent years I have waited 2+ hours at IAD and 3 hours at ORD for immigration clearance.

BTW, we keep our acid remarks to ourselves when entering the US, or we end up in "special processing".
Amen to that. With 2 - yes, two!! - of the 15 possible desks for foreigners occupied.... IAD is the absolute worst.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
While I've never encountered the queues the OP did at LHR, feel the pain. Would not appreciate that type of wait.

However, I don't get - and actually get a bit irritated w/ - the typical responses of 'pick Stanstead', etc. Last I checked, US flights into London area go into LHR or LGW, not Stanstead or Luton (sorry if spelling is incorrect on either of those airports; I don't fly into them). Of course coming in/out of other countries those 2 airports are an option, but not a great one if one eventually needs to connect to LHR or LGW due to transit between the airports.

Unfortunately for the OP a lot of US flights hit LHR around 7am, so a wait. But even I've not hear of 2.5hours as a 'norm'. Also, just noticed the OP was on 9/11. My guess is there was a delay due to that too.

BTW - I'll be trying IRIS on my next trip. I signed up for it, but given it took 20 minutes for them to actually register my eyes who knows if it will work on a regular basis coming in. For the OP, you have to go to UK 4x/year to be eligible for IRIS, and then it's good for 2 years (I think it's 2 years).

I keep my 'acid comments' to myself when entering ANY country. I don't need 'special attention'. But - the spending $$/welcome Americans comment was just stoo-pid IMO. Sigh - talk about perpetuating the 'ugly American' syndrome. Making a comment re: the wait is one thing; tying it into you should welcome my $$ is another. Geesh.

And the taking a Waterloo train in the wrong direction was simply the OP's fault. However, I do agree the Hoppa should post or the hotels should know that the Hoppa doesn't stop at T4. Why doesn't it, btw? Never flown in/out of there, so don't know if there's a specific reason. Anyway, if I stay at any of the hotels on Bath Road ('hotel row'), I just take the 'free' bus. I haven't paid for Hoppa in years.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
However, I don't get - and actually get a bit irritated w/ - the typical responses of 'pick Stanstead', etc. Last I checked, US flights into London area go into LHR or LGW, not Stanstead or Luton
No reason to get irritated.
Silverjet, EOS and Maxjet fly from the US to Stansted.
AFAIK Luton would require a connection at another European airport.
In Aug I connected in Frankfurt to get to London City Airport - well worth it.

(sorry if spelling is incorrect on either of those airports; I don't fly into them).
Just follow the lead of all those irritating people who wrote Stansted on this thread.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:23 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia

BTW - I'll be trying IRIS on my next trip. I signed up for it, but given it took 20 minutes for them to actually register my eyes who knows if it will work on a regular basis coming in.
One of the tips that I've learned on this forum (sorry - I'd like to cite the post, but I forgot from whom I had read it from) is that IRIS only needs a lock on one eye. If you keep this in mind, it's pretty easy to get it to recognize you.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Last I checked, US flights into London area go into LHR or LGW, not Stanstead or Luton (sorry if spelling is incorrect on either of those airports; I don't fly into them).
AA is starting JFK-STN service at the end of October. One of the press releases mentioned that business travelers wanted an alternative to LHR. They did fly to STN over a decade ago and cancelled it. Will have to wait and see how they do with this one.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by jib71
No reason to get irritated.
Silverjet, EOS and Maxjet fly from the US to Stansted.
AFAIK Luton would require a connection at another European airport.
In Aug I connected in Frankfurt to get to London City Airport - well worth it.
Thought Silverjet flew into Luton
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If all the above fails and you go to LHR often, enroll in IRIS.
IRIS is the best. On Sat 22 Sept, I landed in LHR, made it thru IRIS and got my bag off the carosel before anyone else from my flight even madeit into the baggage area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.