Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to London - what to bring versus buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt

Hi - It looks like I'll be moving to London in a month or so with my job. This means I'll have a move paid for by the company.

While I'm really excited, I'm curious what I should stock up on or buy now versus sell here in the US and buy in the UK.

As it stands, I bought a nice LCD TV (which runs on 220v and HDMI video inputs) since electronics seem much cheaper in the UK. I'm aware of normal electronics voltage concerns, so I'm not too worried about other problems w/ gadgets.

If you were moving to the UK from the US, what else would you buy now to bring over?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:49 am
Suspended

When I moved to London ten years ago (an a short assignment) I took as much as I could, especially clothes, as EVERYTHING seemed expensive.

But I befriended locals who showed me how to get some deals, and avoid being ripped off. But then Singapore wasn't so cheap that I was able to make the adjustment to London OK, and expenses covered most things like cabs etc.

Seems a pretty wide question to ask though; are there any specific items (perhaps heavy/bulky ones) about which you are undecided?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:12 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
since electronics seem much cheaper in the UK.

Nope, look again.
Everything is cheaper in the USA than in the UK. Everything. If you have enough allowance to take everything with you, then do it.

Just make sure that you're to be paid at a rate that is sustainable in the UK at the moment - the fx rate is quite challenging for expats right now, I'm told.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by Macspreader
Everything is cheaper in the USA than in the UK. Everything. If you have enough allowance to take everything with you, then do it.
This is true. Specifically, bring clothes and food. I know that sounds odd, but clothes really are much more expensive over here (so much so that I buy all of mine in the USA these days).

As for food, well we do have food in England, and very nice food it is too. But you'll find odd things that you're used to are missing. EG, you can get tortillas and jalapenos in most supermarkets, but you can't find those cans of green chillies anywhere. You can get an equivalent of Liptons Rice, but not Rice-a-roni. You won't find Kraft Mac and cheese, or Wolf Brand Chilli.

There are American food stores, but they're very expensive - $$ for a can of green chillies expensive

You might look at a few online, skyco* is a good start, and take note of any products they sell that you might want.

FWIW, with Costco now over here you can get Oreos and a few Kirkland brands.

Good luck with the move

*NB. I'm not endorsing Skyco: I've no experience of using them, they just turned up on a google search and had a site with a typical list of what you find in such stores. Can't vouch for how up to date their prices are either.

Last edited by chartreuse; Jul 30, 2007 at 8:38 am Reason: added disclaimer.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Yes, that was a typo that electronics are cheaper in UK - seem much cheaper here

At this point, I think I'm going to stock up on lots of booze, electronics and clothes and hoard them for the move

Is furniture comparable usually as well? I was considering leaving my semi-expensive dresser and things here to rebuy something cheapish at Ikea there. Bad idea?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Same with my bed.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by chartreuse
...clothes really are much more expensive over here (so much so that I buy all of mine in the USA these days).
Yes, definitely buy chain store clothes in the USA. For example, Gap prices at USD1 > GBP1 although the exchange rate is now double that. NB BananaRepublic and Old Navy don't exist in the UK -- just Gap. Not sure if Gap in London sell things from the other two brands.

Formal clothes, though, are better quality in the UK. For formal shoes try the wonderful A&G Martin Stone store on Edgware Rd in London -- not cheap but better than anywhere else I know, and lovely people.

As for food, well we do have food in England, and very nice food it is too. But you'll find odd things that you're used to are missing.
Isn't part of the fun tasting the local food? That's why it's good to eat fresh corn in the US since it's so superior to hat you can get in the UK. For some delicious British things, try:
-- premium jams and marmalades (available at all supermarkets etc much cheaper than corresponding quality items in the USA) esp. varities not available in the USA, such as greengage
-- poppadom crisps
-- Bombay mix
-- fresh fruits and vegetables are much cheaper and better in the UK -- good way to eat healthily
-- Pimms (since it's the summer)

re your comment on buying alcohol -- Scotch whisky is worth buying in Britain. You can even get it from LHR Duty Free as you exit from Customs.

More suggestions later....
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:24 pm
mee

Originally Posted by salut0
BananaRepublic and Old Navy don't exist in the UK -- just Gap. Not sure if Gap in London sell things from the other two brands.
Only place I've seen Old Navy in the UK is at Gap outlet stores. Don't think I've seen Banana Republic (didn't know it was a Gap brand)

Formal clothes, though, are better quality in the UK.
Yep, but more expensive too!

fresh fruits and vegetables are much cheaper and better in the UK -- good way to eat healthily
Can't comment on the USA, but when I moved to the UK I found fresh produce much more expensive, and generally poorer quality than elsewhere. Tins, jars and other processed food tends to be cheaper, but fresh stuff, no way!

-- Mike
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: WorldPerks Gold, Priority Club Platinum
As for furniture, keep in mind the sort of residence you'll be moving into versus moving from. You don't want to try to cram an overstuffed settee into a tiny lift or up a narrow staircase to get to your new flat. Not exclusive to London, but worth bringing up!

Other than that caveat, if your employer is handling costs, bring as much of your own if you want. Even the cheap stuff in London is going to be expensive and having your own things around you will help your new environment to feel more like home.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:09 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
And you're forgetting one important thing with your TV. There's the NTSC vs. PAL issue.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:25 pm
mee

Think carefully about shipping furniture...

Something to bear in mind, if you are going to be renting, is that the majority of rental flats are provided furnished. The few that I have heard of going unfurnished are not necessarily cheaper.

Now furnished means someone else's cheapo ikea (or worse) furniture, but means that you should think carefully about shipping big items like a bed across the atlantic, when storage is expensive (this is an island, after all)...
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, HH
I'd be wary of shipping furniture simply because it might not fit in your flat/house. The homes are smaller, so things that might fit just fine in your home now might barely get through the door to your place in London.

I'll probably get slammed for it, but I'd bring some comfort foods from home. Yes you should get out and try the food, and some of it's even edible. But there's nothing quite like comfort food when you're a bit homesick or not feeling that well; I know when I'm a bit ill there's nothing like the taste of mac & cheese. So if Kraft is your thing, red beans & rice, Frank's hot sauce, then bring it with you, you can always throw it away later.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:34 pm

One thing to watch out for is custom duties on Booze. When I was sent to the UK on business some years ago, the company paid custom duties on all household goods, but not booze. Several friends took a lot. They still complain after years of how much they were ripped off.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Ah, great points about the customs on booze. I suppose my low-quality booze isn't even worth the duties levied

Interesting about furnished rentals - is that the case for most 1-yr leases?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's been a long while since I moved to London - but when I did, there were two Amenican women's clubs in London. One was in central London and one in St Johns Woods. Many Americans come on 2 or 3 year assignments, and need to sell everything electrical on leaving. These organizations had classified ads for those moving. I bought my TV, fan, and a number of other things very affordably.

I had a fully furnished flat, so did not bring furniture. Be sure that you carefully check your relocation package from your company. In my case, because I took less than 3000 pounds, the company was willing to send everything by air. Further, it was willing to pay for the electronics that I bought once there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.