Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London water

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 4:01 pm
Suspended

I use a Brita Water Filter for drinking water, and have a central salt based water softener, which makes having a bath very pleasant, and also preserves my appliances and pipes.

It is probably mostly connected with your new surroundings and changing from the familiar, which can be quite stressful.

Try changing you shampoo, eat well, exercise......

Last edited by krug; May 14, 2007 at 4:09 pm
Old May 18, 2007, 8:44 am

>"Since I moved to London 4 months ago my hair has been falling out."

You should have your thyroid function checked just to be sure. It's a simple blood test.

Jane Pond, CRNP
Old May 20, 2007, 11:28 am

We've just moved here and there is no doubt that the water is hard. Most of the southeast relies on groundwater, so it is not all that surprising.

What IS surprising, is that people don't have water softeners like the poster above. In Waterloo (Canada), I'd say that the majority of homeowners had them. I asked a few people here, and they have never even heard of them! If I had money to put in a business, this doesn't seem like a bad one to invest in.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old May 28, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by painintheuk

What IS surprising, is that people don't have water softeners like the poster above. In Waterloo (Canada), I'd say that the majority of homeowners had them. I asked a few people here, and they have never even heard of them! If I had money to put in a business, this doesn't seem like a bad one to invest in.
I would not buy a softener for 2 reasons :-

1. I hate showering in soft water. It feels like the soap has not washed of fully, leaving a slimy feeling afterwards
2. I have heard that the minerals that cause hardness are also quite good for you.
Old May 28, 2007, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every public launderette (laundromat) I've ever used in London has had a sign warning you that they use soft water - so that you don't overdo it with the detergent.

Water softeners (either those that use salt or water 'conditioners' that use magnets) seem to be pretty much standard in companies that require water for cleaning purposes, I'm not sure if there's an untapped gold mine regarding this. And surely all the dishwashers come with their own in built water-softeners - what else would the salt be for?

Still, this thread is a good reminder to use 'Calgon' regularly: "Washing machines live longer with Calgon."
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:18 pm

Hey - do you have any updates here?
The same thing is happening to me
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Never heard of anyone having such a problem and I would suggest that a doctor is a better first port of call than FT. Having said that, I'm sure I've seen an advertisement for a company which supplies a water softener which can be plumbed where mains water comes into the dwelling.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The body of evidence linking hard water and hair loss is pretty weak, from what I can see, once you move away from chat sites, sites promoting hair or water softening products, etc. Never underestimate the ability of companies to use such sites to promote an unscientific "proof" that their product is necessary (see also all the nonsense out there about blenders and cancer cures).

If you have significant hair loss, see a doctor.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by LDN09
Hey - do you have any updates here?
The same thing is happening to me
Im not sure that someone will reply to a post on a thread that hasn’t been used for over ten years.

talk to a pharmacist or general,practitioner.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stut
London water is quite hard (not as much so as further South, but still). Maybe it has oestrogen in, that would explain all the man-breasts appearing about the city...
I remember the billboards posted a few years ago at tube station about Moobs.

Stress as well as major surgery can contribute to hair loss, bensyd. I hope your doctor can be helpful. (I almost wrote that I hoped your doctor could "shed some light" but then I thought….naaaaaaa.)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
I remember the billboards posted a few years ago at tube station about Moobs.

Stress as well as major surgery can contribute to hair loss, bensyd. I hope your doctor can be helpful. (I almost wrote that I hoped your doctor could "shed some light" but then I thought….naaaaaaa.)

Thanks, Analise. I started that thread 11 years ago. I don't live in London anymore. I think it was the hard water of London that made my hair look like it was falling out. My hair has definitely thinned in the last 11 years, but I still have a full head. Thankfully, Sydney has soft water.

LDN09 did you move from somewhere with soft water to hard water?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.