Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Glasgow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:12 am
ecq
Original Poster

Where to stay in Glasgow?

going there for a week. I know of the Premier Travel Inn. Does anyone know of any other hotels (inns) like that? about 45-60 pounds per day? I looked at expedia and all those other travel sources but it's all the same hotels.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
you can sometimes pick up some of the holiday inns for that - it depends on the offers on the go at the moment... try www.holidayinn.co.uk and click on the offer panel in the middle of the page - holiday inn express are the cheaper equivalent of Premier Travel Inn, so worth checking those out anyway.

Other than that, www.travelodge.co.uk - very similar to premier travel inn. There's also ibis hotels - http://www.ibishotel.com which generally have the added bonus of a continental breakfast.

They are the budget chains which spring to mind for me.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:11 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Having lived there for a a year I would suggest starting a search from about 50 miles away and working outwards!
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by squeeler
Having lived there for a a year I would suggest starting a search from about 50 miles away and working outwards!
What's that supposed to mean?
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: BA
The comparable hotels in the UK at this level are :

Premier Travel Inn (a merger of the old Premier Lodge and Travel Inn chains)
TraveLodge
Holiday Inn Express
Ibis Hotels (Accor group)

Look at their individual websites. All have built their properties in the last 10 years, and have this budget style of accommodation.

Glasgow, despite having many other redeeming qualities, is not much of a city for interesting hotels. If your business is near the Queen Street station in the city centre you may like to stay in the centre of Edinburgh and commute daily on the train (45 minute journey, several trains per hour).
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WHBM

Glasgow, despite having many other redeeming qualities, is not much of a city for interesting hotels.
I'd argue the toss on that one. The OP might want to check out Babbity Bowster's in the Merchant City. Basically a fine pub/restaurant with basic rooms attached and it has been discussed on Flyertalk before so a seach will give some opinions.

Then moving up the price scale there's Malmaison (second one to open maybe?) which I think is a very innovative chain and beyond that there's 1 Devonshire Gardens which certainly when I was in Glasgow in the early 1990's was well ahead of its time.

If your business is near the Queen Street station in the city centre you may like to stay in the centre of Edinburgh and commute daily on the train (45 minute journey, several trains per hour).
Don't discount this option but it may be slightly underselling Glasgow as a city...
Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:58 pm
ecq
Original Poster

I think Glasgow is a great city. Places to walk and all the sorts. My problem is finding a hotel with parking that's free. I'm figuring I"d have to go a little out of Glasgow but then I jut want a place where there's still people.

thanks for everyone's help. Any other places would be greaT! I've researched some of them and they sound good!
Old Feb 15, 2007, 3:01 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The City Inn's a good compromise if you want parking. Not a bad hotel, either, just a little out the centre.

That said, unless you're headed into the wilds, you've no need for a car in Glasgow.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:36 am

Glasgow, despite having many other redeeming qualities, is not much of a city for interesting hotels. If your business is near the Queen Street station in the city centre you may like to stay in the centre of Edinburgh and commute daily on the train (45 minute journey, several trains per hour).
Glasgow does not have to rely on it's visitors having to stay in Edinburgh as it has more than enough of the hotels in the poster's price range with parking to make the suggestion of travelling from Edinburgh a bit of an odd one.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:28 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
to make the suggestion of travelling from Edinburgh a bit of an odd one.
I would just add that having lived in Glasgow for a good while (Byres Road if you must know) and also, for longer, in Edinburgh, the journey is actually quite reasonable - after all, several thousand people commute each way daily between the two.

Glasgow can be interesting once you get to know it, the Victorian architecture is fascinating, though evenings on your own can be a bit aimless. But if you get on the bus and sit next to somebody, chances are they will tell you their life story. In Edinburgh, not so likely, but it is a real world class destination of buildings, narrow winding streets, broad planned streets, restaurants, views, and just walkability.

If you are not familiar with Scotland there is a long-standing rivalry between the two cities with some amusing stereotypes about one another. One Glaswegian told me that you "Could see the people of Edinburgh are stuck up, because they paint their buses Royal purple" - an interesting description of a plain maroon colour.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:25 am

If you are not familiar with Scotland there is a long-standing rivalry between the two cities with some amusing stereotypes about one another. One Glaswegian told me that you "Could see the people of Edinburgh are stuck up, because they paint their buses Royal purple" - an interesting description of a plain maroon colour.
Nice one^

And this one "How many Edinbuggers does it take to change a lightbulb? None, they form a self-help group called "How to cope with life in the dark".
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:33 am
ecq
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut

That said, unless you're headed into the wilds, you've no need for a car in Glasgow.
I'm not just staying in Glasgow. I know it's easier to walk around City Centre than taking a car.

I'll go look up the City INn too, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.