Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

What will my life in London be on £74,000?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will my life in London be on £74,000?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA CK, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by Raffles
You cannot afford to take taxis on £74,000. Period.

I cab it into work some mornings and it costs £8 for a sub-2 mile journey. From the centre of London to Tower Bridge is c£20. From anywhere in west or north London to Canary Wharf it would be at least £20 each way with tip, so £200 per week. And as we worked out that you were only going to have £430 after tax and rent to spend per week, I think you can forget about cabs.
Depressing

That being said my employer pays for a cab home so it would be £100 each week. However, I am sure there are better things to do with £100/wk then sit in the back of a cab to work. Also, as has been mentioned in this post the tube system is very good and while not always convenient one can manage. I think my solution would be to load up on Podcasts and just grin and bear it.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA CK, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Nah, you'll just stop off for a kebab with exta chilli sauce instead
Sounds pretty tasty! Have had kebabs before and I think they sit just as badly as a slice.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by globalflight
Also, having lived in my current apartment for three years I have never used the oven and can count the times I have used the stove on one hand (most to heat up soup). The change to cooking will be a big one. The lack of cheap eats is a real adjustment having walked back from a friends place at 1:20am and stopping off at a Pizza place for a couple of slices - I don't think I could do that in London.
I am reminded of the start of my career in a New York law firm, where I used to make the limo driver stop and wait for me outside the grocery store at 3 am (charged to client who was making me work until 3 am) so that I could restock the coffee and frozen food in my flat, before taking me home.

I learned to cook by the time I got to London and had more time on my hands because I had reasonable hours, but I still relied heavily on Marks & Spencers' fresh semi-prepared meals. Much better than frozen food. You can buy fresh food (e.g. salmon with watercress to be steamed, rosemary potatoes to be roasted) and pop it all into the oven. No work, better quality than frozen food, less expensive than eating out, no mess.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:15 am

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by Markie
Some decisions for you:

- Which football team to support?

I fixed your post. Correct answer: Sheffield Wednesday FC.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Here's a nice little fixer-upper for you Globalflyer:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...72_flat23.html
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
£74,000 before tax even without bonus for someone at 26 is an incredibly good salary even in London. You would only get such salaries in a trading role in an investment bank with a proven track record.

Many families with children get by on half that salary but I suspect you want a New York Wall Street type lifestyle.

One thing you need to remember about cabs is that traffic moves faster in New York compared with London given all the straight roads and the traffic lights sinking up. However, if you do work long hours at the office, early starts and late finishes, the traffic should move faster at these times. Cabs fares in London are a rip-off compared with New York so it may be adjusting your lifestyle.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Here's a nice little fixer-upper for you Globalflyer:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...72_flat23.html
That looks great

I think I would rather sleep under my desk and shower at the gym and deal with the associated stigma than live in a walk-in closet.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
£74,000 before tax even without bonus for someone at 26 is an incredibly good salary even in London. You would only get such salaries in a trading role in an investment bank with a proven track record.
The world is a relative place.

I feel like I am way behind my peers.

My roommate in New York made $750k the past year at a hedge fund and is the same age.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by The Truth Commission
I fixed your post. Correct answer: Sheffield Wednesday FC.
Nah I think he seems more like a millwall kinda guy . I enjoyed the replay tie last week Of course they never should have had to goto a replay up at eastlands but that's city for you ugh...
cheers!
howie
ps. Sorry I went OT..

Last edited by stockmanjr; Jan 24, 2007 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Depressing

That being said my employer pays for a cab home so it would be £100 each week. However, I am sure there are better things to do with £100/wk then sit in the back of a cab to work. Also, as has been mentioned in this post the tube system is very good and while not always convenient one can manage. I think my solution would be to load up on Podcasts and just grin and bear it.
I would really suggest you get used to ridding the tube because traffic in london is rough during rush hour! Using that money on more useful things(i.e booze ) I think you would enjoy more!
cheers
howie
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
I would go for sure! That is good money and you would be able to have a fantastic time. I lived in Dublin on a much smaller salary and had a great time. Loads of my friends have moved to London and think it’s a fantastic experience. You have Europe at your doorstep and many great opportunities to see many great places of the world.

I say do it you will have an amazing experience.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
A little more background, I am a 26 year old, single, male, who grew-up in New York and has traveled extensively. My compensation would be £74,000 plus a bonus (however that is variable and I do not want to spend my bonus through the year). I like to go out and have lived in the LES of New York the past few years. I am hoping to spend £450/wk or less on rent.
I figure it would be like living in NYC on about $74,000 annually. If you want to spend £450/wk, you should be able to get something--you'd get something really nice if you're prepared to share.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
When I was over there this weekend there was an article in the Daily Mail that said the average family needed 641 pounds a week after taxes. I was appalled.

Gas was $8 a gallon ( well 89.4p a liter)
The Sunday newspaper was 2pound
A cup of tea 2.40

Basically it appears that everything was the same price in pounds that things are in NYC in dollars. Do you think you could live in NYC on 75K?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jan_az

Gas was $8 a gallon ( well 89.4p a liter)
The Sunday newspaper was 2pound
A cup of tea 2.40
well it would be stertching it to say that this theory covered the petrol too, but I thinnk we can safely say our media and tea are both far better than you'd find on the other side of the Atlantic

More seriously, as others have said, £74k is a cracking salary that puts you right at the top in the UK. Doubtless some very talented (or lucky) people do earn more than that, but the average weekly wage for a 20-something in the UK is £367. The 90th centile is just over £600. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBas...asp?vlnk=14630

As for those working in London (of all ages) the 90th centile sits at £1050 - again you're comfortably clear of this line.

Perhaps you need to look at what you want from life? If the only gratification you get is dependent on how big your pay packet is at the end of the month then perhaps the move isn't for you. If however you're happy to see this as a brilliant opportunity that will give you a very very well paid job in what is arguably the world's most multi-cultural city AND the world's leading financial centre then that's a different story. The City has presented me with some brilliant opportunities over the last few years and the rewards are now really starting to flow in...

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Jan 23, 2007 at 11:50 pm
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The world is a relative place.

I feel like I am way behind my peers.

My roommate in New York made $750k the past year at a hedge fund and is the same age.
Yes, well, we know about people who get that sort of money - but it is always good to be in touch with the real world, real people and real money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.