Wiki Posts
Search

IRL one week

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
IRL one week

Plan on - 3 nights Dublin - 2 Killarney - 2 Galway and back at the Dublin airport. I have been there before and apart from the obvious stuff to do give me some great advice - special places - especially if you eat gluten-free.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by keisari
Plan on - 3 nights Dublin - 2 Killarney - 2 Galway and back at the Dublin airport. I have been there before and apart from the obvious stuff to do give me some great advice - special places - especially if you eat gluten-free.
Interesting post. I've been to Ireland, all parts, dozens of times but next summer I am taking most of my extended family including a cousin who has to eat gluten free. I hope someone has some suggestions for both of us. We're of course aware of the obvious vegetables and meats but could still use some advice.

Special places in the locations you named, to me anyway, Kilmainham Jail, a stroll in Stephens Green (with apologies to those of you who know that song), an evening in The Brazen Head plus any number of other pubs around the center of town. There are great walking tours, day and night, for history fans, ghost fans and Joyce fans.

I have stayed in the Conrad for years. It is, however, getting expensive. I always take first timers to Jurys Cabaret in Ballsbridge. Yeah, I know its touristy....we're tourists. Then its usually north out of town to the Boyne Valley, Newgrange and Tara. Unless your departure flight is some ungodly early hour, I'd spend one more night ANYwhere but at the Dublin airport.

I'm not a big Kilarney fan but always manage to make it to Laurels when I am there, we stay at Hotel Europe its out from town, right on the one of the lakes and really great.

Galway is a special place. We usually hit O'Mailles for knits and its a pretty short hop to Connemara and even the Aran Islands since you'll be there for two days. Again, I take first timers to Dunguaire Castle banquet.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
I'm not sure how good they are for gluten-free food, but it's worth checking out the following restaurants in Dublin:

Fallon & Byrne
Exchequer Street (off Grafton St)
Their website is at www.fallonandbyrne.com but it's out of date. The phone numbers may be useful though.

Ely,
Ely Place (off St Stephen's Green (east side of the green))
Their online menu marks out items which would be gluten-free.

La Mere Zou
St Stephen's Green (north side of the green)

If you're willing to venture as far as Ballsbridge (it's a short cab ride):
Roly's Bistro
Ballsbridge

I'm a big fan of all of the restaurants above and have never been disappointed on my multiple visits to each of them.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
What ever you do in Ireland you will have a great time. Galway is a great place and if you want a night it its full of uni students. The Aran Islands is a must if you have time.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:16 pm

Food wise in Dublin, certainly I agree that Fallon & Byrne could fit your needs.

Countrywise, If its not out of your budget, Ballynahinch castle in Galway (not city, near Clifden in Connemara) is lovely.

Would you not take in Kilkenny as a change? Its a lovely place (city and county) nice food, there are good places to stay, interesting castle and walks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.