UK Iris immigration system

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:18 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
UK Iris immigration system

Hi all,
just wanted to tell you an interesting thing I encountered at Heathrow the other day --

whenever I go to the UK for work, I have to stand in line with 100 people at the immigration line. So at the airport the other day, I passed the "Iris pass" office, and I signed up. They take a picture of your eyes with a fairly regular camera, and from then on, you just walk up to this booth at immigration, look into the mirror, and breeze right through. But the interesting thing I thought is that they don't even require you to swipe a special card, or your passport -- it must be that sensitive.

I just found the system very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_recognition
http://www.iris.gov.uk/
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
As you'd expect, there's a lot of discussion about it on the BA board, where quite a number of us are regular users of it. Try this thread, for example.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in our London Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by TA
Hi all,
just wanted to tell you an interesting thing I encountered at Heathrow the other day --
It's also operational at Gatwick North and Manchester T1 and 2.

Excellent system, some (over on the BA board..) have experienced problems, it's worked every time for me, even when I'm wearing glasses.

Major problem seems to be that despite publishing opening hours for the signing up offices they can close, or more likely not open, at short notice. The offices seem to use regular immigration officers rather than separate Iris staff. I've seen the two officers that signed me up on the immigration desks and if they are short of staff the Iris office seems to get hit first.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
Originally Posted by phreegreens
Major problem seems to be that despite publishing opening hours for the signing up offices they can close, or more likely not open, at short notice. The offices seem to use regular immigration officers rather than separate Iris staff. I've seen the two officers that signed me up on the immigration desks and if they are short of staff the Iris office seems to get hit first.
They do this as they need to verify your right to use the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.