London city airport question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London city airport question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF-PC; UA Plat ; QA Gold; Etihad Gold ; EK Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat; Mov G
London city (LCY) airport question

first time ever into city LCY, what is the best way to Paddington area. Given I have two bags a taxi looks best? Comments?

Last edited by Tony_B; Sep 22, 2006 at 11:18 am
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:06 am

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
There are quite a few airports around, it is better to use airport code for calrification.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Fly to London Heathrow and take the Heathrow Express to Paddington. Very simple.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:14 am

You can take the DLR into London and connect with the Tube. It would require two transfers, though.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tony_B
Given I have two bags a taxi looks best?
Your three best bets are as follows:-
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:21 pm

I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

At LHR you have all the big-airport hassle - long queues for Immigration, longs waits for baggage - but once you're out it's quite easy to get to Paddington.

At LCY you're out in minutes, but your onward journey is a lot more awkward (but cheaper unless you take a taxi!)

Last edited by Aviatrix; Sep 22, 2006 at 2:05 pm
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
We have been known to use the tube to the airport. Very cheap compared to other means. BUT we like to know in advance if we will be encountering long stairwells when we are lugging suitcases. If not, no problem. If so, we take another means. We can manage escalators but some of the older stations are a bear for transfers. We have no experience with Paddington but have done it from Maiden Vale and Islington. I would ask people about the transfer point and the conditions at Paddington itself.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:15 am

One of the great things about the DLR & Jubilee Lines are that the more modern bits are fully wheelchair accessible.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.gif
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:53 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Karen2
We have been known to use the tube to the airport. Very cheap compared to other means. BUT we like to know in advance if we will be encountering long stairwells when we are lugging suitcases. If not, no problem. If so, we take another means. We can manage escalators but some of the older stations are a bear for transfers. We have no experience with Paddington but have done it from Maiden Vale and Islington. I would ask people about the transfer point and the conditions at Paddington itself.
Every time that I took the tube from Paddington, it SEEMED like I waited over an hour for the next underground train to arrive!

There must be some time-warp thing going on there....

Fortunately, the HEX seems to depart on time, but who wants to pay that much?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Your three best bets are as follows:-
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
Just to emphasise that these are both very easy changes, even with lots of luggage. At Canning Town you have to go down one moving stairway/escalator or take an elevator - the transfer takes less than a minute.

At Baker Street, you simply walk across the platform 20 yards or so to get your connecting Bakerloo line Northbound train. No stairs at all.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: BA
I echo what House says about the transfers on the London City to Paddington route being straightforward.

At London City the DLR line station is integral with the little terminal there. The transfers at Canning Town and Baker Street are some of the most straightforward on the whole London network.

I would say the total walking distance overall at LCY and the two interchange stations is probably less than the distance at Heathrow T1 alone from baggage claim to the taxi line, and MOST CERTAINLY far less than the walking distance at Heathrow to the Heathrow Express train platform.

In addition you don't have to mortgage your house for the train ticket into London.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by House
Just to emphasise that these are both very easy changes, even with lots of luggage. At Canning Town you have to go down one moving stairway/escalator or take an elevator - the transfer takes less than a minute.

At Baker Street, you simply walk across the platform 20 yards or so to get your connecting Bakerloo line Northbound train. No stairs at all.
Absolutely. It's easy unless you are trying to move around at the height of the morning rush.

Given the choice between zooming through LCY and doing the above or suffering through LHR and then taking the expensive HEX, I would opt for LCY every time. Bear in mind that you'll probably make it to Baker Street at least before you'd see your luggage come off the carousel at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.