Wierd Writing On Entry Stamp At Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold

I fly through Heathrow on a somewhat regular basis. I either fly in for work or fly through in transit.

On a number of occaisions the Immigration Officer has scribbled "In Transit" or "In Transit 1" (I am going to T1), etc and that makes sense. Tonight flying from CDG through LHR (10hr layover) the Office wrote "W" and circled it. I watched her go over it to make sure it was very dark and bold on the top of the stamp.

What the hell does a circled "W" mean on a stamp? Am I now on a watch list because I fly through LHR often? I am sure there are others who come throug here considerably more often than I do.

For my work I know I do not need a Visa , to visit I do not need a Visa (I am an American) and I certainly do not need a Visa to change flights.

Any idea what this means on the stamp?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sefrischling
Tonight flying from CDG through LHR (10hr layover) the Office wrote "W" and circled it.
Can't say I have ever heard of "W" being used as a code. The most common ones used are "IT" (In Transit) and "VIPP" (Visa In Previous Passport) - but you rarely see annotations other than those.

I will check with our local ALO to see if any new coding has been introduced and post here if anything of interest is revealed.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
i used to enjoy the stamp in my US passport "Given leave to under the UK for an indefinite period of time"

It's because they saw my UK passport too. never any letters though.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Perhaps they thought you were a high risk passenger who might smuggle Water on board
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:06 am

W Means....

Lets get humorous shall we? W means that you are Waitlisted to Leave the Country. What this means is you love London so much you hate to leave and you are looking for any excuse to be denied exit from the country. Maybe it was the fish and chips you had at the take-away last night or the good larger at the Pub. Or maybe it was the infamous cabbie who called ahead to"tag you". Or maybe you are transporting some $100 dollar bottles of wine back to the US and have some Evian water.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:10 pm

Got the same writing today...

This evening I got the same "W" circled thought at the bottom of the stamp. I also got the usual "VIPP". My old passport has come apart and the imigration agent told me i'd need to get it replaced. Anyone lately figured out what the circled "W" means?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovethoselegs
This evening I got the same "W" circled thought at the bottom of the stamp. I also got the usual "VIPP". My old passport has come apart and the imigration agent told me i'd need to get it replaced. Anyone lately figured out what the circled "W" means?
This is a total stab in the dark...
Warned that you need to get a new passport/move visa to current passport for future travel.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:12 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
This summer I had a particularly nasty encounter with a particularly rude passport person at Heathrow. I got a Z with a horizontal line through the middle, and then he told me he was only going to "give me one month." I wasn't trying to visit the UK, I was passing through Heathrow on my way to Dublin from the US. So I also got the "leave to enter" stamp with one month written in and then a series of numbers and letters at the top. Is that normal? My previous experiences at Stansted for example involved just the rectangular dotted line immigration officer stamp. Needless to say, I won't ever be going to Heathrow ever again, but any thoughts on if any of that means anything special?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:21 am

Back in '02 I got a "Z" on entry at STN. I have no idea why.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
This was in Britan? W stands for "......"....

Sorry didn't mean to offend.

Wait. They censored ......???
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the UK Forum..
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by catwood
i used to enjoy the stamp in my US passport "Given leave to under the UK for an indefinite period of time"

It's because they saw my UK passport too. never any letters though.
??? as a British citizen, why would you enter the UK using your US passport?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
??? as a British citizen, why would you enter the UK using your US passport?
Under the law for many countries, if you are a citizen of that country you have to enter on a passport issued by that country

But as CS says - why were you entering the UK on a US passport when you are a UK citizen?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:01 am

Unhappy Another "W"

Originally Posted by lovethoselegs
Last night I got a W on the stamp when entering the UK in Heathrow. Apparently it was because I didn't have my police registration certificate with me (I had my passport only).

Any ideas what this W mean? The officer was very rude and I couldn't get him to explain it to me.

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:27 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by sefrischling
I fly through Heathrow on a somewhat regular basis. I either fly in for work or fly through in transit.

On a number of occaisions the Immigration Officer has scribbled "In Transit" or "In Transit 1" (I am going to T1), etc and that makes sense. Tonight flying from CDG through LHR (10hr layover) the Office wrote "W" and circled it. I watched her go over it to make sure it was very dark and bold on the top of the stamp.

What the hell does a circled "W" mean on a stamp? Am I now on a watch list because I fly through LHR often? I am sure there are others who come throug here considerably more often than I do.

For my work I know I do not need a Visa , to visit I do not need a Visa (I am an American) and I certainly do not need a Visa to change flights.

Any idea what this means on the stamp?
I am curious as to why you went through Immigration at all. Is that a requirement? When flying through the UK from the states or from France we follow the 'connections' signs straight to duty free and don't enter the UK at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.