Reload this Page >

Dublin, Ireland Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, Ireland Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Just wanted to bump this as we'll be in Dublin this coming weekend and wanted to see if there were any other new places to check-out. I like the idea of this Eden place. Sounds like something to try. We're looking for moderately-priced places. Thanks!
I found the full-serve restaurants in Dublin to be generally overpriced and disappointing. It has been explained to me that until recent times, dining out in restaurants....especially upscale places.... was not a common passtime in Ireland, hence a lack of dining traditions such as what might be found elsewhere.

Where we did have a couple of good meals at reasonable prices were at some of the "dining pub" venues in and around the Temple Bar area. Unfortunately, however, I don't recall the names, so I guess I'm not much help. (One just off Grafton Street near a rather upscale hotel comes to mind).

Anyway, your best bet would be to ask some of the locals when you arrive. The natives are friendly here, so I'm sure you'll get a few good suggestions.

Last edited by cyberdad; May 22, 2006 at 7:49 pm Reason: grammar & spelling
Old May 22, 2006, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Restaurants are generally good, designed for the tourist but expensive.

Carry outs are generally where the locals go for inexpensive food.

Pubs are PLACE to be and not too expensive.

All of Ireland is beautiful and everyone I have ever met was more than friendly.

I am partial,,, my wife is Irish.... Be there all summer long...
Old May 23, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Couple Pub experiences

I enjoyed my meal at the O'Neills Bar carvery; liked lunch at Foley's/Merrion Row; thought the steak at The Old Stand was just OK; Oliver St. John Gogarty good main dishes, but very touristy (Temple Bar), great music - all were pretty crowded

Last edited by tdo-ca; May 23, 2006 at 1:04 pm
Old May 27, 2006, 10:19 am

For a great lunch (or a fab afternoon tea) check out the Avoca restaurant upstairs in the Avoca shop on Suffolk street. http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/lo...AEA6F308C3.htm

Cookes cafe behind the Powerscourt townhouse is nice if a little faded. The cooking is usually good and if it's nice you can sit outside and people watch.

There is a new foodhall open called Fallon and Byrne. You can buy some great cheeses and have a glass of wine downstairs and I have heard good things about their new restaurant...just opened. http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/

Hole in the wall places? Burdock's in Christchurch for fish and chips is famous but I find them a little stodgy. The stag's head pub used to do a good traditional Irish lunch, but I haven't been there in years. It has a great 'snug' and you'll get a good pint of guinness http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/lo...3B38F34F0E.htm

Have fun...Dublin is a great city
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I wanted to bump this thread up again and see if anyone had any new additions.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Rather than suggest you get a guide book or browse some local newspapers online, I hope the following short list might help scotty00and anyone else interested in some of the better-known places.

If you are lucky there may be a forum or similar information website where restauants and pubs are reviewed. (I've mostly tried a few cafes and a vegan restaurant but think they are not listed below; Have eaten at a few hotels like Jury's and that's about it)

Have you come across any of these places - and would you recommend them?
[Slightly OT, has anyone been to Forty Foot at Dun Laoghaire recently; if it's still going strong?]

This is from Lonely Planet...
Dublin Eat
You'll be thanking your shamrock you dallied in Dublin.

Bleu (Top End)
city centre
Bleudy Good
With black leather seats and massive windows overlooking swanky Dawson St you can see and be seen ...

Café Bar Deli (Mid Range)
city centre
Dreamy Deli
This eternally popular restaurant has a simple formula: great crispy pizzas with imaginative toppings ...

Cornucopia (Budget)
city centre
Horn of Plenty
Cornucopia serves up hearty vegetarian and vegan dishes that change daily. Dine in a relaxed, country-kitchen ...

Eden (Top End)
Temple Bar
Visit the Garden
Reminiscent of a swimming pool, with its aquamarine mosaic walls and ceiling to floor windows onto ...

Ely (Mid Range)
city centre
Ely Ely Nice
Wines from around Europe are what this sophisticated little joint does best - the wine list includes ...

Gruel (Mid Range)
city centre
More Please
Gruel offers more sophisticated food than its name suggests. The atmosphere may be relaxed New York-style ...

L'Ecrivain (Top End)
city centre
Magnifique
Many foodies consider this the best restaurant in town, and the recent acquisition of a second Michelin ...

Rhodes D7 (Top End)
Smithfield
Gary's Gastronomy
Londoner and celebrity-TV chef Gary Rhodes thinks Ireland is ready for a true, British restaurant. ...

Roly's Bistro (Top End)
Ballsbridge
Roll Up To Roly's
Roly's is an institution with Dublin's business fraternity (the Daily Mail is based beside ...

The Tea Rooms (Top End)
Temple Bar
Time For Tea
The Tea Rooms' fortunes have been up and down in recent years, but things seem to have settled down ...
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Dublin is full of fine eating places.
In that list I've been in Bleu a few times,it's not the most expensive and the food is georgeous.
It's sister restaurant one pico (http://www.onepico.com/) is more high brow and expensive with some superb food (honey roast parshnips there,you have to have them!)

Bang Café (http://www.bangrestaurant.com/) just a few doors up from the infamous donohoes pub is also smart dining and I've found the food fantastic-its a 5 minute walk from the new shelbourne hotel.
Also on the green in that area are a few nice restaurants as you walk towards grafton st.
I've tried peblo's there and it's very nice.

If you like italian food and good value,try Bocaccio's on Dame st-the food there is absolutely tasty.

I've done L'ecrivain-again very nice-expensive though and I thought short on portions.
If you really want to break the bank and dine in posh style,then you want to go to Patrick Guilbaud's in the merrion hotel-opposite government buildings and about 2 minutes walk from donohue's pub( http://www.merrionhotel.com/guilbaud.asp )
You would want a stuffed wallet in there though and I mean more than a €100 per person or more and if you like your wine,you may bring even more cash.
The food is absolutely lovely though.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.