Wiki Posts
Search

London Theatres - Disappointments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

London Theatres - Disappointments

Though not a very regular theatre goer, I went to watch a couple of musicals on my recent trip to London and I was indeed disappointed.

Though the performances were superb; the theatres were extremely warm, seats were tight and many had restricted view. For what I thought was the capital of the theatre world (leaving aside Broadway in NYC), I had expected much better features.

The inconsiderate behaviour of the audience is another point of annoyance. While I may be able to tolerate the chattings of some less "polished" European tourists amongst the audience, what really shocked me was the rather inconsiderate attitude of some British audience.

I had a lovey-dovey British couple sitting infront of me who were more interested in showing affections for each other (with their sitting postures)than in enjoying the performance itself. Inbetween the scenes, I politely requested that they sit back in a "normal" position as they were blocking my view, and I was greeted with a look of disgust and more awkward sitting postures

I used to live in London more than 10 years ago, and I had the greatest respect for the British people for being the most well mannered and considerate people in the world, regardless of their social background. I am sad to say, my perception has changed with my recent experience.

What were your experiences with London theatres like ?

Last edited by mario33; Feb 4, 2005 at 5:50 am
Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mario33
Though not a very regular theatre goer, I went to watch a couple of musicals on my recent trip to London and I was indeed disappointed.

Though the performances were superb; the theatres were extremely warm, seats were tight and many had restricted view. For what I thought was the capital of the theatre world (leaving aside Broadway in NYC), I had expected much better features.
I had a horrid evening at the Geilgud Theatre seeing Christian Slater in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest last month.

I love seeing theatre, but in London it can be pricey and uncomfortable.

While I think you concerns about the behaviour of theatregoers are absolutely valid, I think you were just unlucky here with an amorous couple who lacked sensitivity to your lack of sightline.

Of more importance IMHO is the poor ventilation and small seats seen in many theatres, as well as lack of general toilet and bar facilities.

Many London theatres were designed almost a hundred years ago, and seats reflect what people expected (and their smaller stature) half a century or so ago.

Ventilation is appalling generally, and I never use the restrooms.

What I suggest is you go on a monday/tuesday/wednesday night, when it is less crowded. You can buy Half Price tickets at the stone booth at the lower side of Leicester Sq on the day of performance which diminishes your feeling of being ripped off. Also only go in winter when it is cooler.

Finally, for a more up to date experience, check out the newer theatres on the South Bank and at Stratford on Avon which for the most part have been renovated and are very acceptable indeed!
Old Feb 7, 2005, 7:11 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I think theatre experiences can vary anywhere in the world..... I had a most disastrous Lion King performance at the Lyceum back in 2002. I happened to choose the day where 75% of the theatre was filled with families with hyper-active little. I had a little boy kicking my seat the whole time while the little girl would poke my shoulder every few minutes. The mother wouldn't apologise nor do anything to restrain her bundles of misery. Even the usher shrugged and told me they are little children. I was left wondering why then sell ice cream in the theatre itself -- the last thing the small kids need is MORE sugar...... sigghhhh......

As a contrast the Mamma Mia show I went to was superb!! The 2nd best musical I have ever seen; the best, for me, was Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. No theatre experience can match the energy and the thrill, not to mention chaos, of a Broadway show.

However, I do agree that the amenities in British theatres are lacking.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:19 pm

[QUOTE=mario33]Though the performances were superb; the theatres were extremely warm, seats were tight and many had restricted view. For what I thought was the capital of the theatre world (leaving aside Broadway in NYC), I had expected much better features.

There was a TV programme about the theatre on here in London a few weeks ago.. and one of the interviewees was talking about how many million are needed to modernize the aging buildings. He didn't say when refurbishing would begin.. and I wonder about any timetable in their heads. We can only hope.

The National Theatre is a joy compared to most of the crowded and overheated ones. London may be the capital in terms of innovation and large numbers of things going on but I miss Broadway.

Ex-NYorker
Old Feb 7, 2005, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Hey, if you're looking for better ventilation, you could try The Globe Theatre!

We've had good luck with the down-to-earth info provided on the TheatreMonkey web site: <http://www.theatremonkey.com>. They are an independent entity who can tell you, for each theatre, which seats to avoid, where there are likely to be problems, a guide for overseas visitors, and lots of other good info. We've used their services a couple of times to get tickets also, and have been pleased.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection with TheatreMonkey other than having good experience with their web site.)
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:32 pm

The Producers

Anybody seen "The Producers" ? Thoughts on it. If good reviews, any reviews on Theatre and its seating?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:37 am
Original Member

I'd appreciate any tips on good plays/musicals, best place to buy tickets and what the definition of seating is... ie what is a stall? Is that a better viewing seat than Orchestra? Can you help me with terminology so I know which seat I should go for? Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 5:06 am

Random replies to the points made and questions asked:

State of the fabric of the theatres:

Yes they're old and knackered (although since the advent of the national lottery this is mainly only a problem for the commercial theatres - ie all the West End).The West-End theatres alone need about £250m spent on refurbishment. The problem is that the venue-operators don't make enough money to pay for any more than essential running repairs. There are currently discussions about some form of subsidy (which IMHO is fair enough given that due to legislation a theatre can't ever become anything other than a theatre) but no decision and thus no plans to refurbish yet.

The Lion King:

I would imagine that most performances of that show have a huge percentage of kids in the audience, so I don't think you were that unlucky...

The Producers:

An amazing show. And I hate musicals.

Tips on Shows:

See the London Theatre Recommendations thread in this forum.

Terminology:

"Stalls" is a contraction of "Orchestra Stalls" (another contraction being "Orchestra"). They all mean the same thing. You're on the ground floor.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Take a look at Theater Monkey . It's a good guide to London theater with seat maps and reviews which help one to avoid some of those less desirable seats.

London theater is indeed expensive. But we usually enjoy the performances we've seen. A night at the theater is also an excuse for a pre or post theater dinner. Lots of good places in the west end.

Barry
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Producers tickets

If you want to buy Producers tickets, check out www.seetickets.com, they are the official ticket agent for the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. Although the site may say, call venue, call them because that doesn't mean they are sold out. They sell a lot of other tickets too with minimal booking fee.

I called and emailed a lot of ticket brokers, most of which didn't have seats to the show I wanted to go to (Sat night). I called See tickets direct and they had tickets available in the stalls with no additional booking fee! In some cases, the markup was 25% to a ridiculous 75% of ticket price!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:21 pm
Suspended

This is the best site for half price tickets:

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.