Reload this Page >

Good Shows to See In London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Shows to See In London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2001, 4:33 pm

My son just returned from a theatre trip to London. He raved about Art and The Importance of Being Ernest. In Stratford he saw King John, which he said was good. He said that the Witches of Eastwick was okay, and the Secret Garden was only suitable for girls of 7 or 8 yrs.
His absolutely favorite was going to the Globe. They had a workshop and performed scenes from Hamlet for tourists on the tours.
Old Apr 8, 2001, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It's not great drama, but about a year ago a friend and I laughed our heads off at "The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged)." We originally chose it for arrival day evening just because it had the earliest curtain time of all the options, but we never regretted our choice. It's three actors who go through all of Shakespeare, sort of, in 97 minutes. If you want something light and it's still playing, consider it.
Old Apr 9, 2001, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When we were in London over New Year, the city had many more tourists than our usual mid January visit.

The Leicester Square half price ticket booth had a line about 2 blocks long. I calculated the wait at over 1, and close to 2 hrs.

I didn't travel all that far just to wait in line to save $40-50.

At least they don't charge to stand in line, like Disney does.
Old Apr 9, 2001, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We saw a play called CAVA, I think. Near Picadilly. May be gone by now. Musical, but nearly opera.
Old Apr 9, 2001, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The LION KING is truly sensational. But tickets are hard to get - they always have people selling them outside just prior to the performance - probably for around £50 (usual ticket price £35)
Old Apr 9, 2001, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Your experience at Mama Mia depends on your seatmates. If the audience really gets into it, it can be lots of fun. I saw it again recently in LA and the cast and crowd had loads of energy.

Witches of Eastwick isn't perfect, but still fun to watch.

I wouldn't recommend An Inspector Calls to anyone who doesn't know much about Britian. But if you do it's a great piece.

I wouldn't recommend Art. It's short and has few funny scenes.

As for hard to get tickets, they aren't hard to get if you are willing to pay a Leicester Square scalper. The most I've paid is 45 pounds for a great seat. Singles are especially easy to get. Go there the afternoon on the day of the performance and you probably won't be disapointed.

Old Apr 9, 2001, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I bought our tickets by calling the theatres directly on a cheap rate to Britain - charged to a credit card. No fees. Picked up tickets at window. Got the phone numbers from a web site, but I forgot which??? If you could track down the theatres you could call.

------------------
DtG
Old Apr 9, 2001, 10:32 pm

Bypassing the Leicester Square Ticket Booth and just buying tickets directly from the theatre is often the better way to go. It's true that the Leicester Square tickets are half price, but when you consider that you're buying the most expensive unsold seats in the house, there's no choice of seats, there's a 2 pound or so service charge per ticket (which you can avoid by buying directly from the theatre), it may cost an hour or more of your time waiting in line, and by the time you reach the ticket booth the show that you wanted may no longer be available, many times it really isn't such a great deal overall.
Old Apr 10, 2001, 7:55 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I used one of the unofficial "half-price and discount ticket" agents near the Leicester Square underground recently (it was raining and I didn't want to wait in a queue). Got a great seat for Japes at about a 30% discount.
Old May 26, 2001, 11:51 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally posted by slawecki:
If you want to ride the Eye, book now. It has week-month wait lists.
British Airway's online booking for London Eye "flights" is now operating, at https://www.britishairways.com/londoneye/

Adult flights cost roughly US$15 each.

------------------
Middle Seat
Old May 26, 2001, 2:49 pm

I enjoyed The British Airways Eye a couple of weeks ago with a group of clients and a bottle of fine champagne. The experience takes 30 minutes and offers spectacular near views of Westminster and distant views in all directions, especially downriver to Greenwich. We were able to walk around our "pod" and enjoy the scene from all angles.
Old May 26, 2001, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I would not recommend the graduate. It didn't compare to the old Dustin Hoffman movie.

I was happy to only pay half price ath the booth in Leicester Square. There was no line when I was there (about 1/12 hours before showtime).
Old May 26, 2001, 8:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
For current, up to date information on London theatre, visit Darren Dalglish's site at http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/index.html

All the information of what, how, who, and why are easy to traverse on this site.

And no, I'm not employed by or compensated by the site. I discovered it 6 years ago and have found it to be one of the most useful sites on the web.

Larry
Old May 27, 2001, 9:50 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hope this is not too late.

ART! one of the best shows I've seen in awhile.

The Weir. VERY Good. humerous yet dark.

Mamma Mia, I personally detest ABBA music, but even I got into the good time spirit of the crowd. It is a good time.

Old Jul 11, 2001, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
ART, An Inspector Calls and The Beautiful Game are all fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.