Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather in Scotland in late March?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2002, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Weather in Scotland in late March?

I usually lurk - and learn - at Flyertalk, but a question has just come up that I need an answer to, so I'm "outting" myself! :-)

I just won a trip for two, all expenses paid, to Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh), but here's the clincher: I MUST take the trip before March 31. If I decide to take it later, it's a possibility, but the extra expense may preclude that. So, anybody out there have any idea what the weather is like there in late March? I noticed that ajamieson posted on this board, and he's based in Edinburgh. I hope that he or someone else who has an answer for me is reading this.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:57 pm

There is also a "banking_scot" that shows up every so often. You might try a search for him and try e-mailing him.

I would guess that you'll see a fair amount of variance between coast & inland, low country and mountains, north and south. I would generally expect cool, damp, windy, with occasional snow. Late in March, perhaps you'll see spring trying to bust out. I was in Edinburgh & around the Firth of Tay for new year's 2000, and this was the general climate then.

I expect some tourist sites exist for the region that could give you a good idea, as well.

JP
Old Nov 16, 2002, 7:21 am

One is generally advised not to travel to Scotland in expectation of fine weather.

An Edinburgh (or maybe St Andrews) radio station delivered an all-time favorite line while I was driving there one late August, at the end of a particularly dreary and chilly summer: "We're finally looking forward to an 80-degree day today: 40 in the morning, and 40 in the afternoon."
Old Nov 16, 2002, 10:34 am

Programs: BA
4 years at University in Edinburgh gave me a good feel for the weather. Frequent business trips nowadays show it hasn't changed!

You don't get much snow in Glasgow or Edinburgh (maybe once or twice a winter, and it doesn't last long), but you get a lot of cold rain and (especially in Edinburgh) wind. It can be pretty bleak. [Current weather right now at Edinburgh Airport is 5 degs C and showers - fairly typical]. A further consideration is that in December it starts to get dark in Edinburgh at about 3.00 pm. If you want to maximise your daylight (a useful commodity for sightseeing) you are right to go as late as possible in March, if possible after the clocks change. By June, BTW, the converse applies and it is light until well after 10.00 pm.

Edinburgh particularly is a spectacular city to just walk around and absorb the atmosphere, day or night, so it's a real shame if the weather is poor.

By the way, that radio station remeniscence reminds me of another one from BBC Radio Scotland one day. "You've been listening to (xxxx). And now for the weather. Rain. And now for the next programme ...."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.