Reload this Page >

Getting to Bristol from LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Bristol from LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by enviroian
I have relatives in Bristol and would like to meet them on my next trip. I hear it's a happening town too and look forward to getting there. I want to spend a few days there then head to my moms in Kent. There's probably no easy way to do this is there? What train routing will get me there?

Thanks
railair coach to Reading then train to bristol

Or

train to paddington then train to bristol
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Platinum, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by plunet
Yeh, those in the know will not buy anything from the Trainline. If here is any need to refund a ticket they impose unreasonable admin fees that you would not have to loose if you bought the same ticket from one of the train operating companies. It doesn't matter which one you buy from but it can help to buy from the the company you plan to use for your journey.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Trainline also have a tendency to sell tickets for trains that don't exist, and some of their travel alert messaging is very misleading. A big avoid.
It's nice to hear this. I cannot stress how many people I know who insist that Trainline is the way to go. Trainline is the way I look at general scheduling and pricing in a quick glance. That's all it's good for--if that.

Have a great trip OP!
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:41 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Depending on where in Bristol your friends live, be aware that there are two stations in the city - Bristol Parkway is north of the centre in Stoke Gifford, Bristol Temple Meads south but much closer in distance (as in, perfectly walkable).

Trains run to both from London, Temple Meads having more services (and usual cheaper as well).
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
For me train is a much more comfortable experience. Buses are a bit nausea inducing.
You have to take a bus for an hour to Reading anyway, as opposed to 2 hours for Bristol. For the sake of avoiding one hour more on the bus it’s really not worth the faffing about with changing from bus to train. (Or the contortions with multiple changes on trains that some above seem to like).
dkeng likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Born and bred Bristolian here.

I'd look at your itinerary and how easy you want it to be. For convenience, the most straightforward way is heathrow express or elizabeth line to Paddington, then you can get on the train by walking across a platform and then out to Bristol again. You could do link to Reading and train there, or you could do coach.

All are easy, but depends on your luggage I'd suggest. Also from practical perspective, easiest to get cabs from Temple Meads than the bus station for your onward journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.