Search

Favorite Free House in Central London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:50 pm
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Favorite Free House in Central London

Specifically looking within walking distance of Bloomsbury.

Long ago when I lived in London ('84 - '89) I would regularly go to The Sun on Lamb's Conduit St. near the Sick Kids Hospital (This is how we called the Gt. Ormond St. hospital, please forgive the out of date lingo). Pints of Owd Roger, Old Thumper, and so many others on a rotating basis. It is now The Perseverance and although I expect some changes I will visit next month but need a couple other options. Time was you could just go grab a pint of Dogbolter at a Firkin pub if you were surrounded by tied pubs, but that is no longer an option.

Starting at the National Portrait Gallery mid-afternoon and headed in the general direction of Bloomsbury. Thinking maybe a stop at The Lyric or The Coach & Horses, but am falling short on ideas. What says the hive mind?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Have you tried downloading CAMRA's Good Beer Guide app? If you put a postcode in the search the free version will give you a reasonable number in the area. There's a separate search for "all pubs" and "GBG pubs".

There's a paid option (distinct from any subscription to the print version) which gives more pubs and more details of each one, but you don't really need it.
Swanhunter and mjm like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:53 am

Have a look at the Untapped app
mjm likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:15 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Checked both GBG and Untappd. The GBG has only a very places listed, and Untappd had nearly nothing. I guess what i am looking for is more first hand recommendations please...
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:32 am

If you're looking for pubs with nice interiors, there are many in the Farringdon/Fleet Street/Holborn area, which isn't far from Bloomsbury.

CAMRA's whatpub.com website lists all pubs.

I've discovered that just because the pub is independent, it doesn't mean they stock interesting beer. Often it's just from the big brewers.
If you are after beers you have not tried before, you might do better trying a Wetherspoon pub. There are a few in that area.
You can even check on their app to see what they have on offer at the time.

Here are some nice ones which I recall:

Crown & Sugar Loaf, EC4Y 8DT
Cittie of York, WC1V 6BN
Last Judgment, WC2A 1DT
Lamb, WC1N 1EA
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, EC4A 2BP
Blackfriar, EC4V 4EG
Fox & Anchor, EC1M 6AA
Ye Olde Mitre, EC1N 6SJ

Hope that helps.
mjm and Internaut like this.

Last edited by KT550; Mar 26, 2024 at 12:15 pm
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:57 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550
If you're looking for pubs with nice interiors, there are many in the Farringdon/Fleet Street/Holborn area, which isn't far from Bloomsbury.

CAMRA's whatpub.com website lists all pubs.

I've discovered that just because the pub is independent, it doesn' mean they stock interesting beer. Often it's just from the big brewers.
If you are after beers you have not tried before, you might do better trying a Wetherspoon pub. There are a few in that area.
You can even check on their app to see what they have on offer at the time.

Here are some nice ones which I recall:

Crown & Sugar Loaf, EC4Y 8DT
Cittie of York, WC1V 6BN
Last Judgment, WC2A 1DT
Lamb, WC1N 1EA
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, EC4A 2BP
Blackfriar, EC4V 4EG
Fox & Anchor, EC1M 6AA
Ye Olde Mitre, EC1N 6SJ

Hope that helps.
That definitely helps!! Many thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:18 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
I'd always recommend the Betsey Trotwood on Farringdon Road, just down from Exmouth Market. There are quite a few interesting pubs around Clerkenwell.

I've also heard good things about the Holy Tavern (nee Jerusalem Tavern) on Britton St, but haven't been in to verify.
mjm likes this.

Last edited by Arctic Troll; Mar 26, 2024 at 7:24 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll

I've also heard good things about the Holy Tavern (nee Jerusalem Tavern) on Britton St, but haven't been in to verify.
Yes, that's an interesting one with a large selection of beers.

It's a re-creation of an 18th century pub. Wooden benches and long tables etc., along with minimal lighting. Will be busy.
mjm likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by KT550
Yes, that's an interesting one with a large selection of beers.
Glad to hear it, I used to go in fairly often when it was the Jerusalem Tavern but haven't managed to go back since it changed ownership and name.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:12 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
I'd always recommend the Betsey Trotwood on Farringdon Road, just down from Exmouth Market. There are quite a few interesting pubs around Clerkenwell.

List just grew by two, cheers!
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I'm not sure if it counts as Central London, but The Harp in Covent Garden is a favourite of mine. I would also concur with Ye Olde Mitre and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese recommended up-thread.
jerry a. laska, mjm and Swanhunter like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Internaut
I'm not sure if it counts as Central London, but The Harp in Covent Garden is a favourite of mine. I would also concur with Ye Olde Mitre and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese recommended up-thread.
I've not been since pre-Covid, but I spent many hours in the Harp drinking a fine variety of ales (and eating sausages!). Firmly seconded. [and unquestionably central London, being only a two minute very fast walk from Charing Cross, but possibly not that convenient for Bloomsbury]
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:30 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
Great choices, every one! That part of WC2 is definitely Central London. (actually even the stuff along the river counts I guess). I am a long time fan of the Fuller's version of Winter Warmer and this was a go to down in the Garden a few decades back. Samuel Smith's is a long time favorite also. I will go to all three of these in coming trips but am trying to discover the state of free houses this trip.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ll third the Harp. Though it’s best on a warm summers evening with a crowd on the pavement. Proper pub.
mjm and Stewie Mac like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:03 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mjm
Great choices, every one! That part of WC2 is definitely Central London. (actually even the stuff along the river counts I guess). I am a long time fan of the Fuller's version of Winter Warmer and this was a go to down in the Garden a few decades back. Samuel Smith's is a long time favorite also. I will go to all three of these in coming trips but am trying to discover the state of free houses this trip.
If you're a fan of Sam Smiths, alongside the Cittie of Yorke they also own the Princess Louise, close to Holborn tube station. At one point the Cittie of Yorke was the only one serving real ale, but I believe the Princess Louise (previously keg for Old Brewery Bitter) has caught up now.

They're very different interiors, but both quite beautiful. The Cittie of Yorke is on CAMRA's list of valuable pub interiors, and the Princess Louise (a former Victorian Gin Palace) has plenty of wooden screens, marble, mosaics and a fabulous bar design.
mjm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.