London City Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London City Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Silver, Sindbad Silver, Le Club Accor Gold, Flying Blue, IHG, Enrich
London City Airport

We値l be arriving in Business Class at LCY on BA8496 at 10:05 (Thursday in May). Having never used LCY before, I知 wondering how long we should allow to clear passport control (both UK citizens), collect our baggage and clear customs?

We値l be travelling onwards from Kings Cross & my plan is to take a Taxi/Uber from LCY to Kings Cross. I知 trying to work out a safe time to book the train from Kings Cross.

Any advice would be appreciated, though I must stress, we値l have 4 large suitcases plus hand luggage between the pair of us. So, I致e pretty much ruled out the DLR & Tube to Kings Cross.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:25 am

20 mins would generally be fine, 30 more generous. Obviously subject to any flight delays.

As you're from the UK I assume you're familiar with train ticket options, but in any post-flight situation it's generally better to book a flexible (Off-peak/Super Off-peak/Anytime) so you can jump on any train as needed. If you're buying an Advance, make sure the saving is worth it and you're leaving yourself padding room for delays.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by JDP1970
We値l be arriving in Business Class at LCY on BA8496 at 10:05 (Thursday in May). Having never used LCY before, I知 wondering how long we should allow to clear passport control (both UK citizens), collect our baggage and clear customs?
I've not been to LCY for a couple of years, but when I did (2021) it was always super-quick. Almost zero delay coming through the airport and bags always delivered fairly quickly too. No customs to clear? Bit confused about that part.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Border control is usually only 5 - 10 minutes, and baggage claim depends a bit on which stand you come in to. That usually is only about 20-25 minutes though on a very busy day. If you say 40 minutes for both, that'll be more than ample time for even the slowest baggage delivery. In some cases I've been through UKBP and got my bags and been out the airport in 10 minutes!.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
There's not really much of a customs clearance to worry about. I actually don't remember it at all from my last flight into LCY from AMS. I'm sure some presence was there!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
20 mins would generally be fine, 30 more generous. Obviously subject to any flight delays.

As you're from the UK I assume you're familiar with train ticket options, but in any post-flight situation it's generally better to book a flexible (Off-peak/Super Off-peak/Anytime) so you can jump on any train as needed. If you're buying an Advance, make sure the saving is worth it and you're leaving yourself padding room for delays.
Depending where they're going from King's Cross LNER might not offer (super) off-peak tickets.
They are doing a fares 'simplification' where only three types of ticket are available:
  • Advance (booked train only)
  • Semi-flex (up to 70 mins before or after booked train)
  • Anytime (flexible)
This has meant at certain times of day trains are more expensive as you now need the anytime if you want any real flexibility.
The routes this trial is running on are London to Newcastle, Berwick and Edinburgh Waverley.
There is a trick though, if you book to a local station the old pricing is in force and you can get the (super) off-peak tickets.
For example instead of London to Edinburgh book London to Haymarket. Instead of London to Newcastle book London to Heworth you can still alight at your intended station doing it this way and then it avoids the 'simplified' fares.
Another way of doing it is split ticketing as the only time these trial fares appear is if you book exactly onto a trial route.
Ldnn1, lcylocal, flarmip and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 7:08 am

Programs: BA & IHG
To add to details about LNER - I bought advance tickets and yes left a large gap between arrival into LCY to Kings Cross but of course no delay on the plane and for us DLR so went to the LNER customer service desk at Kings Cross and asked if we could get a earlier train - Yes that will be 」10.00 and was able to get 2 reservered seats facing forward. So instead of waiting for over 2.5 hours for our booked train we were on our way within 30 mins of the change of ticket.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
There's not really much of a customs clearance to worry about. I actually don't remember it at all from my last flight into LCY from AMS. I'm sure some presence was there!
I was in LCY yesterday, and there were agents in the Customs channel area - however they were checking bags that had been delayed from a previous flight, so no customer to collect them. It's the area immediately after the e-gates - the baggage area is straight on but you have to double back into the customs zone to get to the exit door.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by layz
Depending where they're going from King's Cross LNER might not offer (super) off-peak tickets.
They are doing a fares 'simplification' where only three types of ticket are available:
  • Advance (booked train only)
  • Semi-flex (up to 70 mins before or after booked train)
  • Anytime (flexible)
This has meant at certain times of day trains are more expensive as you now need the anytime if you want any real flexibility.
The routes this trial is running on are London to Newcastle, Berwick and Edinburgh Waverley.
There is a trick though, if you book to a local station the old pricing is in force and you can get the (super) off-peak tickets.
For example instead of London to Edinburgh book London to Haymarket. Instead of London to Newcastle book London to Heworth you can still alight at your intended station doing it this way and then it avoids the 'simplified' fares.
Another way of doing it is split ticketing as the only time these trial fares appear is if you book exactly onto a trial route.
Thanks for this. I knew LNER was scrapping return fares but didn't know about the new semi-flex replacing off-peaks. As a fan of OP/SOP fares generally, I doubt I'll want to see this more widely.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was in LCY yesterday, and there were agents in the Customs channel area - however they were checking bags that had been delayed from a previous flight, so no customer to collect them. It's the area immediately after the e-gates - the baggage area is straight on but you have to double back into the customs zone to get to the exit door.
That sounds familiar! I'm glad there's always someone here with a far better memory for these things.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

In a sense there's no harm in booking an Advance. If everything goes to plan you save money. If you're running late, you can change your Advance to a different train (provided you do so before departure time) and just pay the difference to the cheapest available fare - worst case scenario it's the walk-up fare you would have paid anyway. Normally you also have to pay a 」10 admin fee, but if you book using CrossCountry's website or app this is free.
@layz 's suggestions re: LNER's sham "trial" are also worth noting to avoid being overcharged.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If so that means things have changed since Tuesday, when customs was to the right of the baggage carousels and led out in between Pret and Soul and Grain. The area after passport control was an empty space previously housing the border. I'm struggling to picture where an alternative exit in this space could emerge landslide.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EJetter
If so that means things have changed since Tuesday, when customs was to the right of the baggage carousels and led out in between Pret and Soul and Grain. The area after passport control was an empty space previously housing the border. I'm struggling to picture where an alternative exit in this space could emerge landslide.
Yes, the exit point is the same, I may be not describing it very well, but in the final stretch of space before the doors which most people would walk through before getting to landside / Pret, the customs desk is to the right.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Silver, Sindbad Silver, Le Club Accor Gold, Flying Blue, IHG, Enrich
Thanks to all who have replied. Based on what's been said, I'm going to book advance fares on LNER for 12:33.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:37 am

Getting from LCY to Kings Cross will be quicker (and much cheaper) by DLR then Northern Line. Bank station has had major work over the last couple of years and the interchange from DLR to Northern (which used to be horrid) is now very easy, multiple escalators or lift available. So it's entirely feasible with luggage unless you really are hauling steamer trunks.
Obviously traffic at 10am isn't the worse, but nor will it be free flowing, especially as you approach Aldgate area.
If it is any encouragement, LCY has the highest public transport use of any London airport. More than two thirds of passengers use the DLR.
Where do you need to get a train to? You can still buy off peak tickets for LNER - for example if you need Edinburgh you can buy an Off peak ticket to Haymarket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.