Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Electronic Travel Authority

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:44 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by :D!
Why did you bother getting an ETA as a Saudi if you're a US citizen?
There’s a chance that during parts of my travel I might need to use my Saudi passport to enter the UK especially if I fly there from the GCC to minimize my chances of being outed as a naturalized U.S. citizen/passport holder, especially if I’m flying between the GCC and the UK and back. Plus now when I travel from the U.S. to the GCC via LHR there’s a chance the airlines might not let me board unless I have proof of an ETA depending on who I’m dealing with since I’ll be using my Saudi passport to travel. I wanted my bases covered on all those fronts.

And I wanted to see how the application process is since eventually it’ll apply to my U.S. passport as well.
goodeats21 and :D! like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:21 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
There is every chance they will jack the price up as we expect with APD, applying now is no bad thing if you might need it.
Nayef likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:24 am

Heathrow Calls For Exempting Transit Passengers From UK’s New £10 Entry Fee
https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...ps10-entry-fee

The CEO made a stink about it for the first time a couple of months ago too:
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2499992.html

It funny they’re taking issue with this even though all the ETAs in Canada, the U.S., NZ and Australia are required for transiting passengers as well.
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Nayef

Heathrow Calls For Exempting Transit Passengers From UK’s New £10 Entry Fee
https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...ps10-entry-fee

The CEO made a stink about it for the first time a couple of months ago too:
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2499992.html

It funny they’re taking issue with this even though all the ETAs in Canada, the U.S., NZ and Australia are required for transiting passengers as well.
The reason that Heathrow management is so concerned about this requirement is that the airport has a huge transit business and there are plenty of alternatives--for example, for passengers traveling between North America and the Indian Subcontinent, there are lots of other options beside LHR (not to mention many direct flights), including DXB. By contrast geography means that there are far fewer alternatives to transit via the U.S. or Canada for certain itineraries, such as between the Far East and Latin America, or between certain parts of Europe and Latin America. So the disincentive factor of an ETA for transiting the U.S. or Canada is less of an issue than it would be for transiting the UK.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
The reason that Heathrow management is so concerned about this requirement is that the airport has a huge transit business and there are plenty of alternatives--for example, for passengers traveling between North America and the Indian Subcontinent, there are lots of other options beside LHR (not to mention many direct flights), including DXB. By contrast geography means that there are far fewer alternatives to transit via the U.S. or Canada for certain itineraries, such as between the Far East and Latin America, or between certain parts of Europe and Latin America. So the disincentive factor of an ETA for transiting the U.S. or Canada is less of an issue than it would be for transiting the UK.
I know we’re still some time away from it but I haven’t seen anything suggesting ETIAS would be implemented for transiting passengers but I’d surprised if it didn’t apply to them. I wonder if it would assuage LHR’s fears if that’s the case.

One if the stats the CEO posted about was that there were 19,000 fewer passengers from Doha but he didn’t say whether those are Qatari nationals or not and the vast majority of traffic from DOH flights are likely not Qatari nationals. So that stat feels like it’s missing something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.