Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Afternoon Tea in London - Who is the Frontrunner Now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, with several new hotels having just opened in London such as the Raffles and the Peninsula, I was wondering if anyone has had the afternoon tea there yet? If so, how does this compare, particularly to the Ritz, Lanesborough, Dorchester, Berkeley, and Mandarin Oriental?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Theater Royal Dury Lane, The Berkeley, The Goring.

Unless you like Bling and Nouveau Riche vibes. Then the Bulgari, or the top floor place in the Shard would win.
​​​​
Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
My afternoon tea info is slightly out of date as I rather had a few too many one year and got fed up of it!

I wasn't a fan of the one at Hotel Cafe Royal (been there twice, with different people). They like to remind you at every interaction how long you have left on your table, which just makes you feel like you're not welcome.

I do like The Goring, and retiring to the cocktail bar afterwards is always a nice option.

I've been to Ting in the Shard for an afternoon tea, that one had a choice of Asian themed or traditional, so my friend and I went for one of each. It was really good with fab views and great service.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 12:26 pm

Any updates further recommendations on afternoon/high tea? Will be there in late October with the misses and have been told we are doing high tea! Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by toadman
Any updates further recommendations on afternoon/high tea? Will be there in late October with the misses and have been told we are doing high tea! Thanks!
Probably a good idea to figure out which you want as afternoon tea is a very different sort of thing than high tea. The former is taken around 4 or 5pm and consists of cakes, scones, buns and/or sandwiches. The latter is taken after school or work and usually would consist of savoury food as the last meal of the day.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
There's an afternoon tea for most budgets and some places do a "gentleman's tea" that is more savoury focussed (sexist, I know).

Maybe consider where you're going to be based / willing to travel to and what your budget it. Then it's possible to narrow down the options.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Probably a good idea to figure out which you want as afternoon tea is a very different sort of thing than high tea. The former is taken around 4 or 5pm and consists of cakes, scones, buns and/or sandwiches. The latter is taken after school or work and usually would consist of savoury food as the last meal of the day.
I was speculating who was going to complete my Bingo card on this one.

I'm wondering if a US tourist turns up to the Ritz at 16:00 and asks for "high tea", will they be ushered to a corner table and asked if they want a mug of tea or a cup of milk with their jam sarnie?

tb
Milwaukee and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I’m not really an afternoon tea person, but really enjoyed the Asian afternoon tea at the Pan Pacific (near Liverpool Street). They also offer a traditional tea.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by trueblu
I'm wondering if a US tourist turns up to the Ritz at 16:00 and asks for "high tea", will they be ushered to a corner table and asked if they want a mug of tea or a cup of milk with their jam sarnie?
I'm British and don't know the difference between "afternoon tea" and "high tea"; I didn't even realise that there was a difference. I suspect that the vast majority of British people would say the same, as they are terms that most of us rarely - if ever - use.

Anyone working in hospitality in London will be quite used to dealing with foreign tourists, and no-one is going to be made to feel silly if they ask for "high tea".
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:16 am

I was speculating who was going to complete my Bingo card on this one.

tb

no, they’ll be told that since they didn’t book 6 months in advance, there’s nothing available.😃
stifle likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
no, they’ll be told that since they didn’t book 6 months in advance, there’s nothing available.😃
That was for the afternoon tea service, but touché!

tb
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
I'm British and don't know the difference between "afternoon tea" and "high tea"; I didn't even realise that there was a difference. I suspect that the vast majority of British people would say the same, as they are terms that most of us rarely - if ever - use.

Anyone working in hospitality in London will be quite used to dealing with foreign tourists, and no-one is going to be made to feel silly if they ask for "high tea".
This was my point...yes, "high tea" and "afternoon tea" do mean different things sensu stricto, but for pragmatic purposes, no-one cares, it's not actually as if the poster "needs to figure out what they want"...everyone knows what's implied.

tb
Misco60 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:30 pm

Who knew tea could be so complicated. The misses uses the term "high tea", so I don't want to accidentally end up at an afternoon tea spot. Something traditional. Budget wise it looks like you can really get fancy and expensive with some spots like the Ritz as mentioned or Fortnum and Mason.

26 Best Afternoon Tea in London To Book in 2024 (timeout.com)
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This was my point...yes, "high tea" and "afternoon tea" do mean different things sensu stricto, but for pragmatic purposes, no-one cares, it's not actually as if the poster "needs to figure out what they want"...everyone knows what's implied.
I was reinforcing the point you made, rather than disagreeing with it. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.
trueblu likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I can’t laud Brown’s afternoon tea enough. If you want to go modern but with some integrity, the Mad Hatter Afternoon Tea at the Sanderson is good fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.