Wiki Posts
Search

Tube question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Getting off at LHR 2/3 yesterday I was pretty amazed at how deep those tracks are. By the time I got through all the escalators up I looked down and it seemed like a 100 feet up.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:57 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Unlike the Piccadilly Line trick of exiting and reentering at Hatton Cross, there's no easy way to avoid the LHR peak-time surcharge. The last viable stop before Heathrow is Hayes & Harlington, where you'd have to hop on a bus.
If you're doing a single journey, it can still be worth doing the shuffle at Hayes and Harlington if you have the time. In the peak you save about a quid on the Z1-Heathrow fare, and off-peak you save about £3. Not worth it if you're going to hit the daily cap anyway, though.

If you're travelling from Gatwick to central London on Contactless you can also save a lot by doing the same trick at East Croydon. This one really is worth it- you can easily save £20 by doing it, if you're travelling to/from Gatwick in the peak and would otherwise hit the cap in London.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
If you're travelling from Gatwick to central London on Contactless you can also save a lot by doing the same trick at East Croydon. This one really is worth it- you can easily save £20 by doing it, if you're travelling to/from Gatwick in the peak and would otherwise hit the cap in London.
Translation:
Train tickets to Gatwick can be paid contactless, but Gatwick is outside the Transport for London (TfL) ticket area - so the daily cap doesn't apply. You pay from London Bridge or Victoria (£17.50 peak, £9.50 off peak) or where ever you get on the train, in addition to the daily cap on other TfL services, such as Tube or Bus. East Croydon, however, is within the TfL ticket area, all Southern and Thameslink trains to Gatwick stop there, and trains from there to Gatwick are very frequent. So by tapping out at East Croydon, your trip from London to East Croydon is free if you've already hit the daily cap, or you pay the difference between your daily usage so far on that day and the daily cap. Then you tap back in for the non-TfL ticket to Gatwick, which is £6.00 peak or £3.70 off peak. This applies for travel both to and from Gatwick Airport.

(The Gatwick Express is even dearer at £21.80 single.)
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:37 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Translation:
Train tickets to Gatwick can be paid contactless, but Gatwick is outside the Transport for London (TfL) ticket area - so the daily cap doesn't apply. You pay from London Bridge or Victoria (£17.50 peak, £9.50 off peak) or where ever you get on the train, in addition to the daily cap on other TfL services, such as Tube or Bus. East Croydon, however, is within the TfL ticket area, all Southern and Thameslink trains to Gatwick stop there, and trains from there to Gatwick are very frequent. So by tapping out at East Croydon, your trip from London to East Croydon is free if you've already hit the daily cap, or you pay the difference between your daily usage so far on that day and the daily cap. Then you tap back in for the non-TfL ticket to Gatwick, which is £6.00 peak or £3.70 off peak. This applies for travel both to and from Gatwick Airport.
I don't know what you mean by "TfL ticket area" but daily caps absolutely apply to Gatwick - it's £37.30 peak and £23.70 off-peak. Gatwick is in (unpublished) Zone 14. Yes, splitting at East Croydon means you get charged separately for travel within Zones 1-5 up to the Z1-5 cap, and then from Croydon to Gatwick. (Potentially if you need to Gatwick several times in a day you could reach the Gatwick Z1-14 cap.)

Oyster and contactless are "TfL tickets". "Non-TfL tickets" are paper/barcode and cost more.

Very shortly, contactless (but not Oyster) ticketing will come to a much wider area of South East England, including as far as Brighton, Milton Keynes Central and Cambridge. This system will be operated by TfL, so if the term "TfL ticket area" is to be used it would certainly apply to the entire area. It has been ready since 3rd Dec but the government seems to be waiting for something before announcing and launching it.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
I don't know what you mean by "TfL ticket area" but daily caps absolutely apply to Gatwick - it's £37.30 peak and £23.70 off-peak.
Can you share where you found these prices please? I was looking for similar re Harpenden the other day and couldn't find. The TfL website just has the annoying 'interactive' price cap finder which only includes zones 1-9. As with the single fare finder, it's frustrating they don't publish proper fare tables any more which are much easier to read through.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:50 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Translation:
Train tickets to Gatwick can be paid contactless, but Gatwick is outside the Transport for London (TfL) ticket area - so the daily cap doesn't apply.
There is a Gatwick Airport cap at £37.30 peak or £23.70 off peak- and this excludes Gatwick Express.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Can you share where you found these prices please?
I was looking for similar re Harpenden the other day and couldn't find. The TfL website just has the annoying 'interactive' price cap finder which only includes zones 1-9. As with the single fare finder, it's frustrating they don't publish proper fare tables any more which are much easier to read through.
They're well hidden in a PDF link here: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/...9?intcmp=54712

Although, in typical fashion, they don't list stations north of Radlett.
Ldnn1 likes this.

Last edited by Arctic Troll; Jan 4, 2024 at 6:55 am
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Can you share where you found these prices please? I was looking for similar re Harpenden the other day and couldn't find. The TfL website just has the annoying 'interactive' price cap finder which only includes zones 1-9. As with the single fare finder, it's frustrating they don't publish proper fare tables any more which are much easier to read through.
Not sure what you're trying to find out but the not TfL run Oyster Fares site might be useful. There's a whole bunch of other info on there.

https://oysterfares.com/fare-finder/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.