Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Scheduled engineering works/outages or striking possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I have travel planned on the tube and SE rail from 12/20-12/29. Are there any looming outages scheduled I should be aware of?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:00 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's too early to know about potential strikes, as legally only 14 days' notice is required. The only remaining threat to services is now from the drivers, represented by Aslef. They've moved to rolling strikes over a week so different rail companies are affected each day.

For Engineering works, clearly it depends on route but as you're almost certainly aware as a frequent rail traveller you can get the details on the National Rail website along with that of the train operating company.
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC
And for Transport for London which includes the tube they publish a 6 month ahead PDF that is updated every couple of weeks.

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...k-closures.pdf
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Thank you both.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Enginerrign works on the trains are also included in the national rail enquiries journey planner.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I have travel planned on the tube and SE rail from 12/20-12/29. Are there any looming outages scheduled I should be aware of?
Probably the biggest one is the Christmas shutdown - there's basically no trains running anywhere in the UK on the 25th or 26th of December

Trainline aren't great because they charge extra fees, but they do have a handy page summarising all the engineering works going on over the festive period - https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/...s-and-new-year
Old Dec 10, 2023, 8:05 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Probably the biggest one is the Christmas shutdown - there's basically no trains running anywhere in the UK on the 25th or 26th of December
It seems several operators are running close to a normal holiday service on Boxing Day
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by :D!
It seems several operators are running close to a normal holiday service on Boxing Day
Don't know where you got that notion from. There is anything but a normal service on the trains on Boxing Day

There is a very limited on Southern. With one train an hour between Brighton and Victoria to serve LGW and an extra hourly Victoria - Gatwick in addition.(plus some other very limited services)

None on Southeastern (which is of more interest to our OP), Thameslink, LNER, Avanti, Great Western (I've not checled them all but you get the picture).

Some of the localised regional services may be operating very limited services with late starts and early finishes but those services will be rare.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/trave...ion/christmas/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.