Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 to T3 overnight transit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2023, 2:59 am
Original Poster

T5 to T3 overnight transit

I am asking the following questions for a not-so-seasoned traveler (my bro). He has used public transit before and will carry two roller suitcases with him.

Itinerary:
Arr T5 at 10pm on BA biz class from EU
Dep T3 at 11am on AA biz class to the US

1. A friend told me that LHR has a serious problem with losing passengers' checked bags and therefore my bro should NOT check his bags all the way to the US. This entails picking up his bags at T5 and rechecking in at T3, but this is still better losing his stuff. What do you think?

2. Do you have any hotel suggestions for my bro? I am neither interested in booking a luxury hotel nor a budget hotel for him.
What do you think of Aerotel at T3? This ain't the cheapest option, but it's easy for him.

3. Is taking the train (not tube) from T5 to T3 easy? Do the Elizabeth line and Heathrow Express share the same platform? Is signage good? By contactless payment, is Google Pay ok?

Thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
There are times when staffing shortages have meant LHR struggled with bags, but currently it all seems pretty fine. Just check through

Your easiest options are the handful of hotels at T2/T3 (T2 and T3 are basically adjacent, certainly walkable) or the hotel at T5.

There's a load of hotels along the Bath Road which are a cheap bus ride away (local buses, contactless cards only, avoid the Hoppa!). If there's a significant cost saving, given the flight timings, one of those would be fine.

The Underground (tube) is free between Heathrow stations, but you need a contactless card (eg credit card with contactless/paywave/etc) to use it. Otherwise the train (Heathrow Express + Elizabeth Line) is free and has a machine giving out transfer tickets. Similar journey time of a few minutes, tube is slightly more frequent but not much in it
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
..., but you need a contactless card (eg credit card with contactless/paywave/etc) to use it. ...
By contactless cards, do you mean any credit card with an exposed chip?
Thank you!

Last edited by Barkinpark; Oct 31, 2023 at 3:32 am Reason: clarifying
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Barkinpark
By contactless cards, do you mean any credit card with an exposed chip?
Thank you!
No. Contactless cards have a 'contactless' symbol on them, top one below. The reader has a matching symbol (bottom below).
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the clarification. I will likely ask him to use the Elizabeth line or Heathrow Express. He will have to obtain a free ticket from the machine.

Also, there are plenty of escalators and elevators for those who have big bags, correct?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Also, there are plenty of escalators and elevators for those who have big bags, correct?
Taking the train, you're basically funnelled towards lifts (elevators), they want you to take those!
Old Oct 31, 2023, 11:56 am

In addition to the suggestions above, probably the best off-airport hotel option, especially when in/out of different terminals, is the Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross. It’s one stop on the Tube from T3, two stops to T5. The journey is free.

It’s neither luxury nor budget, have a look at prices for your dates.

Definitely check the bags through, there is no point collecting them for all the faff that adds.
farci likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:55 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If he does have a contactless card, then the barriers at the Heathrow Express/Elizabeth Line platforms (they're the same, just jump on whatever leaves first) also accept them. It's a lot less faff than getting a free transit ticket from the machine. Occasionally the gates will be left open (anecdotally this seems more common at T4), so make sure he taps in and out again to record the start and end of journey to make it free. The light next to the contactless pad will turn from red to green when the card's recognised - they're very reliable.

If he doesn't have a contactless card, then the buses to the Bath Road hotels (and the Underground to Hatton Cross for the Hilton Garden Inn) will be much more difficult and expensive. The buses no longer accept cash, so I guess he'd have to go to a machine and buy a paper Day Travelcard (£6.70 for Hatton Cross, for example), or an Oyster card which he'd have to load value on. He could buy a single paper ticket to Hatton Cross. Either way, that's a fair bit of hassle.
farci likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 31, 2023 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:50 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
By contactless payment, is Google Pay ok?
Yes.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The baggage meltdowns are a thing of the past (hope I’m not tempting fate there) but your brother needs to be aware that BA’s baggage handling at T5 can be very slow so he might have to wait the best part of an hour - not great for a 10pm arrival! I would be tempted to ask for it to be checked through, if they will do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.