Search

Passport expiry question for UK/Ireland Entry

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2023, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold
Passport expiry question for UK/Ireland Entry

I know no one here can see the future or guarantee anything but I'm panicking

DH leaves for a weeklong trip to Ireland Monday and just realized his passport expires in late October. He has a return ticket showing his departure date well within that but I know some countries require 6 months for entry. My quick panicked Google says that Ireland should be fine but unsure about the UK (he has a several hour layover and was planning to go to a lounge for a bit). Anyone been there done that? Should we be panicking?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Whether he wants or doesn't want to go to a lounge is irrelevant.

If his itinerary is US > UK > Ireland, there will be UK immigration control to transit the UK and then Irish immigration to enter Ireland.

From Ireland > UK > US, no UK immigration to transit the UK. But in both directions he will have to reclear security in the UK.

If he has a US passport it just needs to be valid for the planned travel dates. https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...ave-for-the-uk
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Neither Ireland nor the UK routinely requires a particular period of excess validity on passports to enter.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold
Thanks everyone! I remember reading about a 6 month period beyond travel dates somewhere but this has put me at ease. Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:28 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
10 years max and unexpired passport (no ID cards)

Originally Posted by stifle
Neither Ireland nor the UK routinely requires a particular period of excess validity on passports to enter.
If the rules are clear and logical, the whole post Brexit immigration process has become painful. The freedom of movement gone (also for UK citizens), Schengen area nationals now require a passport to enter the UK, less than 10 years old and as happened to me recently (smartly dressed arriving at LHR), may also face some unusual and long forgotten questioning upon entry:
- scope of visit (this is OK)
- hotel reservation, written
- return ticket

Said this I am a regular visitor also contributing to a major cultural charity in the UK, but their computer systems must be obsolete.

And yes, this is not really welcoming on our old continent, but shows the insidious hostility of the people sadly (still) in charge of the UK. Just hope that South European countries give a hard time to the UK masses travelling this summer especially when it comes to overstaying (max 3 month Schengen by period of 6 month). And yes, tourism in the Schengen area is booming and hostility towards (drunk) visitors is on the increase in Spain and Italy.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I would suggest that line of debate would more aptly be taken forward in the OMNI/PR forum.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 12:04 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by stifle
I would suggest that line of debate would more aptly be taken forward in the OMNI/PR forum.
I think this is unfortunately very much UK related as any traveller from an EU / Schengen country should be aware of the strict rules (ID card not accepted anymore) and the possibility of in depth questioning regarding travel plans., financial means etc...

And for the opposite side of UK citizens traveling to Europe they should be very careful regarding maximum stay and double check they get entry and exit stamps in their passports.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by behuman
I think this is unfortunately very much UK related as any traveller from an EU / Schengen country should be aware of the strict rules (ID card not accepted anymore) and the possibility of in depth questioning regarding travel plans., financial means etc...

And for the opposite side of UK citizens traveling to Europe they should be very careful regarding maximum stay and double check they get entry and exit stamps in their passports.
Well at least when EU citizens come to the UK they are still allowed to enter alongside UK nationals. When we go to the EU we are "other passports" (which I am fine and dandy with) so from where this traveller is sitting I think you have done alright with Brexit! As for entry rules etc., well checking entry requirements is just a given when going to any country in my book.
hsmall and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Well at least when EU citizens come to the UK they are still allowed to enter alongside UK nationals. When we go to the EU we are "other passports" (which I am fine and dandy with) so from where this traveller is sitting I think you have done alright with Brexit! As for entry rules etc., well checking entry requirements is just a given when going to any country in my book.
From experiences of friends in Spain their immigration is active in enforcement of the 90/180 Schengen rule for non-Schengen passports. Luckily, there's an official calculator to ensure you don't transgress:
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/
stifle likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I created a spread sheet to keep a record of my Schengen stays
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farci
From experiences of friends in Spain their immigration is active in enforcement of the 90/180 Schengen rule for non-Schengen passports.
I believe you mean non-EU/EEA/Swiss passports, but yes, that's as it should be. Brexit means Brexit.
Originally Posted by farci
Luckily, there's an official calculator to ensure you don't transgress:
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/
That isn't an official website, but the calculator works fine.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:08 pm

Will a Canadian passport holder and/or a US passport holder require any type of visa to enter UK and/or France for a week of vacation in Nov/23? Thank you.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Will a Canadian passport holder and/or a US passport holder require any type of visa to enter UK and/or France for a week of vacation in Nov/23? Thank you.
No.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I agree. As this relationship is now purely transactional we should withdraw this privilege unless and until it is reciprocated.
Lynyrd likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by hsmall
I agree. As this relationship is now purely transactional we should withdraw this privilege unless and until it is reciprocated.
It appears that this "privilege" for us entering the UK has been part of the withdrawal negotiations (which have been poorly led by the UK side) and removing it would mean another breach of international law / agreements.

Last edited by behuman; Aug 6, 2023 at 8:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.