Question about Flight Connections for Self-Booked, No Hold Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre

I have a trip to Scotland and Netherlands coming up soon on Virgin Atlantic from LAX. After arriving at Heathrow, I will then be connecting to British Airways to Glasgow. I will not have any checked bags. I know that if I use online check-in for British Airways, I can use Flight Connections to go from T3 to T5 despite booking the connection myself ("unprotected").

As a worry wort, I am now worried about the situation where, for some reason, British Airways will not let me check in online. I know that to get into T5 security, I need a boarding pass. Since I do not have any hold luggage, can a BA rep check me in and print a boarding pass at the Flight Connections Centre? If not, can I perhaps check-in in-person at LAX?

Similarly, on the way back to LAX, I will be arriving at Heathrow T5 on BA from Amsterdam and then hopefully using Flight Connections to go back to T3 on Virgin Atlantic. No hold luggage.

Similar question, if Virgin Atlantic won't let me check in online (which I believe has happened once when heading back to the US), can I check in and get a boarding pass at the T3 FCC?

How can I minimize the possibility of not being allowed to check-in online? Make sure all of the passport, ESTA, etc. stuff is filled out prior to trying to check in?

Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
As a worry wort, I am now worried about the situation where, for some reason, British Airways will not let me check in online. I know that to get into T5 security, I need a boarding pass. Since I do not have any hold luggage, can a BA rep check me in and print a boarding pass at the Flight Connections Centre? If not, can I perhaps check-in in-person at LAX?
Assuming no checked bags - When you land in T3, follow the Purple signs for Flight Connections. Take the bus to Terminal 5. When you arrive in T5, if you have a boarding pass, go through the boarding pass scanners. If not, queue up for the assistance desks before the boarding pass check, and get them to issue one. Then through the scanner.

There are two sets of flight connection queues. One for international, where your boarding pass is scanned then you go upstairs to security. The other is for UK domestic + Ireland connections. These take your biometics, then take you through a special connection Immigration desk, then up to security. The biometrics are then matched at boarding time
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Assuming no checked bags - When you land in T3, follow the Purple signs for Flight Connections. Take the bus to Terminal 5. When you arrive in T5, if you have a boarding pass, go through the boarding pass scanners. If not, queue up for the assistance desks before the boarding pass check, and get them to issue one. Then through the scanner.

There are two sets of flight connection queues. One for international, where your boarding pass is scanned then you go upstairs to security. The other is for UK domestic + Ireland connections. These take your biometics, then take you through a special connection Immigration desk, then up to security. The biometrics are then matched at boarding time
So check in is not an issue? Other threads hinted that there were certain security/passport procedures that airline reps couldn't do at the FCC and required exiting through Arrivals and then going to a formal check-in counter.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
No, there should not be any issue.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
There are some self-service kiosks too in T5 connections you can use.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
So check in is not an issue? Other threads hinted that there were certain security/passport procedures that airline reps couldn't do at the FCC and required exiting through Arrivals and then going to a formal check-in counter.
Very unlikely for a domestic flight since there are no document or passport procedures. You will be able to check in online.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 4:48 am
Original Poster

We ended up not having any problems as we were able to check in online.

It remains to be seen what happens when I connect through Heathrow on my way from AMS to LAX, but the airlines seem to be able to handle it at the FCC.

Where we did have a problem was that British Airways took away our bags, and left us with rucksack/personal item, right before UK/Ireland FCC claiming the flight was completely full and there would be no space. This was a complete lie. The flight was about 80% full and even in Group 7 the bins around us were completely empty. This can't happen on my way from AMS to LAX because I have a tight unprotected connection. We will only be dealing with BA at AMS though, so I guess they'd have to make us gate check our bags and there is more of an opportunity to plead our case than there is at the T5 FCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.