Wiki Posts
Search

England & Wales: £2 Bus fare cap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
England & Wales: £2 Bus fare cap

The government scheme where around 130 bus operators charge a maximum fare of £2 per journey has been extended to 30 June.

In my part of the world this is a significant saving, with some bus fares along the Jurassic Coast (Weymouth/Dorchester - Bridport - Lyme Regis - Axminster) reaching over £10 return, normally.

Lifeline for bus routes as £2 cap on local fares wins extension | Bus fares | The Guardian
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Thats good news indeed

I can see a point where its removed, but at least its helping out
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 2:26 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's a great thing in theory, like free bus travel for over-60s, but the devil is in the detail.

The detail in this case is that the bus operators participating had to prove a certain amount of sustainability of the routes in question, to make sure they're not just taking the money and running. Fair enough? Well, until the law of unintended consequences kicks in.

Case in point: my local Stagecoach garage. To qualify for the £2 bus fare funding, it pretty much withdrew all its rural routes. Same happened in Cambridgeshire, and I suspect all over the country. Loads of villages left completely isolated from lifeline services for hospital visits, school transport, signing on.

Thankfully, my local authority was able to get a small operator to step in for two of the key routes. The bus fare is still £7, but now it runs every two hours instead of every half hour, albeit not very reliably.
farci and Sealink like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Its actually been good for one of my local companies - East Yorkshire have even taken to putting double deckers on single decker routes to have enough capacity... This has caused some minor issues driver wise with "little bus" and "big bus" concerns
Old Feb 19, 2023, 5:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The £2 maximum charge is now permanent in Manchester (and I think Liverpool). Of course, that's now meant that services are reduced and even the shortest of journeys are £2 There's also a daily cap of £5.50 if you buy a travel card.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I've used this a couple of times. Saved me a massive 50p.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
It's a great thing in theory, like free bus travel for over-60s, but the devil is in the detail.

The detail in this case is that the bus operators participating had to prove a certain amount of sustainability of the routes in question, to make sure they're not just taking the money and running. Fair enough? Well, until the law of unintended consequences kicks in.

Case in point: my local Stagecoach garage. To qualify for the £2 bus fare funding, it pretty much withdrew all its rural routes. Same happened in Cambridgeshire, and I suspect all over the country. Loads of villages left completely isolated from lifeline services for hospital visits, school transport, signing on.

Thankfully, my local authority was able to get a small operator to step in for two of the key routes. The bus fare is still £7, but now it runs every two hours instead of every half hour, albeit not very reliably.
And in Dorset the buses in the summer are packed with concession card holders...
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut

I think Stagecoach would have withdrawn anyway. They did this last summer here.

Also the bus companies only get 80% of the fare difference. Which is better than nothing I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.