Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London (Greenwich) transport question re: Cutty Sark area with luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Question London (Greenwich) transport question re: Cutty Sark area with luggage

From looking at Google Earth near the Cutty Sark, I see where the cars are stopped before the pillars.
2 questions:

1) Is the area surrounding the Cutty Sark starting after the pillars (black arrows added in the pic) always pedestrianized - so no cars?
(Odd that I don't see any humans walking around in the Google Earth daytime pic....)

2) Do you know of a transportation service that would also provide luggage assistance upon arrival
From: where the car accessible area ends near the Cutty Sark
To: the inside of that building circled near the Greenwich Pier where my cruise checkin will be
?

Or is that too odd a request for most car services...

Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asked the cruise operator?
You will not be the first person going on a cruise from that location, with luggage.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:25 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by MareLuce
From looking at Google Earth near the Cutty Sark, I see where the cars are stopped before the pillars.
2 questions:

1) Is the area surrounding the Cutty Sark starting after the pillars (black arrows added in the pic) always pedestrianized - so no cars?
(Odd that I don't see any humans walking around in the Google Earth daytime pic....)

2) Do you know of a transportation service that would also provide luggage assistance upon arrival
From: where the car accessible area ends near the Cutty Sark
To: the inside of that building circled near the Greenwich Pier where my cruise checkin will be
?

Or is that too odd a request for most car services...
I think Google Earth uses reconstructed photos so the humans may be removed or averaged out. Also if the photos were taken in summer they might have been at 5am when it's bright but nobody is walking around.

You can see what areas are pedestrianised using Google Street View.

Are you sure you have the correct pier? Unless I'm missing something, the cruises from this pier are river sightseeing cruises and Uber Boat. If you can't carry the luggage yourself you wouldn't be able to bring it on board the boats
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Yes, it is pedestrianized.

I can't help you on transportation services. It is flat ground and less than a 5 minute walk (probably 2 or 3 minutes). If you don't think you can manage that, you might want to try and have a £10 or £20 note and slip it to your driver to help you get the luggage over to the building.

Originally Posted by :D!
Are you sure you have the correct pier? Unless I'm missing something, the cruises from this pier are river sightseeing cruises and Uber Boat. If you can't carry the luggage yourself you wouldn't be able to bring it on board the boats
It is the correct pier. The ships anchor in the Thames, and passengers are brought on ship via tenders. There was chatter about building a proper cruise terminal in Greenwich, but that's now been scrapped.
:D! and MareLuce like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is less than 5 mins walk. Either pack light, ask your driver to help for cash or see if the cruise ship people have a service.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Yes, it is pedestrianized.
I can't help you on transportation services. It is flat ground and less than a 5 minute walk (probably 2 or 3 minutes). If you don't think you can manage that, you might want to try and have a £10 or £20 note and slip it to your driver to help you get the luggage over to the building.
GregWTravels Thank you for the specifically helpful info! That is probably the best plan.

I need to plan on 100% help with luggage.

Hot air balloon crash landing --> full width tear, shoulder rotator cuff --> arm in this sling. https://www.djoglobal.com/products/d...ultrasling-iii
After surgery for: Rotator Cuff Repair, Subacromial Decompression, Distal Clavicle Excision, Biceps Tenodesis
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:17 am

The photo was either taken at 5am or has been digitally altered. Expect that whole area to be awash with pedestrians most of the day.
Viking are the usual cruise visitors to Greenwich and they have a well ordered operation. They usually have a lot of folk on hand to help.
Just for expectation management. Traffic in and around Greenwich can be miserable, and worse at weekends. So expect a slow journey, and don't cut it fine on timing.
MareLuce and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
If you really want to do it in style, don't go by taxi. Go by boat: https://thameslimo.co.uk/
(ask them how close exactly they can dock to where the cruise pier is)
plunet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.