Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Where exactly is US customs in DUB preclearance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I was flying from the UK to Chicago, connecting in Dublin. I went through US preclearance in Dublin before the flight to Chicago. I did not have to collect my luggage in Dublin (it was checked through from LHR to ORD).

I don't recall seeing US customs anywhere in DUB. US passport control was obvious, with an agent who looked a my passport, but I don't remember going through a "nothing to declare" gate or seeing a "declare" gate, and in any case, I didn't have my checked luggage with me. Then in ORD, arrival and baggage claim was like any domestic flight.

Can someone detail how this works? Where did I go through US customs? Had I had something to declare, where would I have done so?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:29 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Customs was done at the same time as immigration with the US CBP agent. If you had something to declare you would have declared it to that agent. Didn't you have to fill in a US customs form?
Markie and Peter Snijder like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

No. No form at all, none of the traditional questions (have you been on a farm, etc)

Nor did I have to answer any questions from the agent. He literally took my passport, scanned it, took a photo of me, and that was it.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The CBP agent should have scanned your BP and then shown you a photo of your checked luggage and asking to confirm it was yours. That's when you would have declared any declarable goods.

CBP officers are both Customs and Immigration officers.
DCJoe1 and Peter Snijder like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The CBP agent should have scanned your BP and then shown you a photo of your checked luggage and asking to confirm it was yours. That's when you would have declared any declarable goods.
They no longer always do that confirm thing which is mentioned in the first sentence above.
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

CBP officers are both Customs and Immigration officers.
Nope. That did not happen. As mentioned, all that happened was I handed over my passport, he scanned it, he photographed me, handed back the passport, and said "have a nice day".

I then told him to have a nice day, and I left.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bongo4
Nope. That did not happen. As mentioned, all that happened was I handed over my passport, he scanned it, he photographed me, handed back the passport, and said "have a nice day".

I then told him to have a nice day, and I left.
At a lot of places in the US, that's about all you do now anyways. No forms to hand in, no questions asked, collect bags, and walk out the door without being stopped. Basically it's on you to declare to the immigrations agent if you need to OR if you happen to get sent to secondary do it there. Otherwise have a nice day.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bongo4
No. No form at all, none of the traditional questions (have you been on a farm, etc)

Nor did I have to answer any questions from the agent. He literally took my passport, scanned it, took a photo of me, and that was it.
I had the same at Shannon airport on June 9. Just scanned passport and not asked anything nor did I fill out anything.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:36 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It does seem a little confusing. They expect you to just tell them if you have something to declare. It’s on you to declare rather than on them to ask. This is also true for using global entry.

Saves a lot of paper I guess.
Peter Snijder likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
This has been my experience the last 2 times I've exited DUB on a US-bound flight. Quick photo, "have a good day" and documents handed back to me. None of the positive ID of the bags from a photo, lots of questions, etc. that used to happen. Less than 10 seconds per person now at the counter.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I will be flying an itin DUB-LHR-SFO, all on BA metal, with a brief transit in LHR.
Do I preclear US custom in DUB, or LHR?

TIA.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I will be flying an itin DUB-LHR-SFO, all on BA metal, with a brief transit in LHR.
Do I preclear US custom in DUB, or LHR?

TIA.
Neither - you will clear US immigration and customs in SFO. You won’t enter the US preclearance area in DUB at all, and there is none in LHR.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ieChicago
Neither - you will clear US immigration and customs in SFO. You won’t enter the US preclearance area in DUB at all, and there is none in LHR.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.