Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting Through Heathrow during Covid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Transiting Through Heathrow during Covid

Hi All,
I will be transiting through LHR on July 6th. I have another flight to Amsterdam on a separate ticket three hours after the scheduled landing at LHR. I understand the wait times at LHR are crazy long and I'm considering using an expediting service to make sure I get through. Has anyone traveled through Heathrow in the last few weeks? What is your advice? Go with the expediter? or do you think I'll be fine. I'm flying Virgin from Seattle with a scheduled landing at 8:35 and the next flight is on KLM at 11:45. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2021, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There's been various reports of straight through in five minutes to seven hour queues. More recently this has all quietened down so presumably, it's running smoother now. Which airline are you flying onwards to AMS ?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Bear in mind if you are connecting and not having to go landside (i.e. your checked bags are checked through) you will not actually go through immigration which is where the queues are.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I am flying KLM to Amsterdam.

Ahhh....Thank you. My onward flight is on KLM, however it is not a connected ticket to my SEA-LHR ticket which is on Virgin, I am not checking luggage and, I did contact Heathrow and they said I could stay airside. Does this still mean no immigration? What if KLM is in a different terminal? Currently it is not but I know that the terminals have been rearranged a few times due to Covid.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 23, 2021 at 2:15 pm Reason: Consecutive posts with partially duplicate answer
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Bemactraveler
Thank you! I am flying KLM to Amsterdam.
The answer to your question depends on if you have checked bag(s). If you do, and if you can't persuade Virgin to check them through on KLM, which I think is unlikely, then you'll have to go landside though immigration to collect the bag and recheck. That puts you at the mercy of the queues. But if you are travelling hand-baggage only, then as KARFA said, you just pass through security with no immigration checks, and you have plenty of time (barring delays inbound).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the info here everyone. I was searching for this exact info!

Planning a trip in August from SFO->LHR->BCN and but the flights are booked on separate tickets. Assuming the rules don't change between then and now, sounds like I still need a COVID test but as long as I don't check luggage, I can stay airside and avoid immigration.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:12 pm

Be aware there may be requirement to purchase a 2/8 day test that you will never use. The rules say so but it's not clear whether it's being enforced.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33318232-post8456.html

Heathrow makes no mention of it...

https://www.heathrow.com/customer-su...virus-covid-19
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:27 pm

Thanks!

This part of the FAQ seems clear:

If you are transiting through the UK to another international destination, you do not need to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test on arrival or on day 2 and day 8; but you must present the following to your airline before departure:If you will be passing through Immigration, you need to do the following when you complete your passenger locator form:
  • Select ‘Stay in the UK’ under the “Your travel plans” section
  • Reply ‘No’ to any questions about whether you are required to complete COVID-19 tests on arrival
  • For passengers arriving from green or amber list countries: Reply ‘No’ to the question ‘Have you visited a Red List country within the past 10 days and/or are required by law to quarantine in a government approved facility?’
  • For passengers arriving from red list countries: Please refer to the Government website
Hoping to get away with this:

Arriving and departing on the same day
If you have a boarding pass issued for your onward journey, you will be able to stay airside during your connection. This means that when you arrive into Heathrow, you will not need to pass through immigration or customs and can follow the purple signs for connections and make your way to the departing gate once it opens.

This government website has some more info too https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...through-the-uk

Transiting through the UK

Before travel to the UK

If you will be transiting through the UK, you need to do the following before you travel to the UK:If you will be transiting landside through the UK, you need to do the following when you complete your passenger locator form.
  • select ‘Stay in the UK’ under the Your travel plans section
  • reply ‘No’ to any questions about whether you are required to complete COVID-19 tests on arrival
  • reply ‘No’ to the question ‘Have you visited a Red List country within the past 10 days and/or are required by law to quarantine in a government approved facility?’

When you transit through the UK

You do not need to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test on arrival or on day 2 and day 8.

This applies if you are transiting ‘airside’ or ‘landside’.

There are different rules for Scotland.

If you are transiting landside (entering the UK from outside the Common Travel Area), you must be entering the UK for the sole purposes of continuing a journey to a country outside of the Common Travel Area. You must either:
  • remain within your port of entry until your departure from England, or
  • travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by extreme_panda
Thanks for the info here everyone. I was searching for this exact info!

Planning a trip in August from SFO->LHR->BCN and but the flights are booked on separate tickets. Assuming the rules don't change between then and now, sounds like I still need a COVID test but as long as I don't check luggage, I can stay airside and avoid immigration.
Yes that’s correct for an airside transit. You will need a passenger locator form too.

Bear in mind tho since you are on separate tickets the inbound airline may treat you as an arrival and expect you to comply with all the entry requirements. They are not obliged to treat you as a transit when on a separate ticket or apply the lesser restrictions for that.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 15, 2021 at 5:43 pm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Bear in mind tho since you are on separate tickets the inbound airline may treat you as an arrival and expect you to comply with all the entry requirements. They are not obliged to treat you as a transit when on a separate ticket or apply the lesser restrictions for that.
Luckily Spain's entry requirements when coming from the UK are even less restrictive than when coming from the US. I'm vaccinated either way so should be able to meet the requirements imposed to travelers from the UK or US.

So far, it all seems pretty straightforward and hopefully it only gets easier from here on out, but who knows these days.

Now, when I transit from Spain->France a few days later, will I be treated as coming from the EU, or the US? Questions for another forum.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: aeroplan
Lightbulb Advice needed

Hello, Hoping for some advice on an issue i have.
I already have purchased an LHR - YYZ ticket but would like to add an Ibiza - LHR flight to connect with the LHR - YYZ flight, I tried doing this over the phone to get a straight-through booking (Bags checked in from IBZ- YYZ) however they wanted to charge me an extra 3000 CAD. I found the same flight on BA arriving 3 hrs before my LHR-YZZ Departure for 400 CAD. They told me if I go ahead and book it under a separate ticket, i wont be able to check my bags all the way to YYZ, and would need to pick up my bags and re-check in for my second leg.

I am worried that the act of going through passport control and picking up my bags would mean i would need to enter the UK (Requiring a 2 week quarantine in the UK). Is this true? Any advice on what to do in this situation?

I am Canadian and have 1 dose of the Vaccine and would have a -ve PCR test. Thanks,
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by tayaran
Hello, Hoping for some advice on an issue i have.
I already have purchased an LHR - YYZ ticket but would like to add an Ibiza - LHR flight to connect with the LHR - YYZ flight, I tried doing this over the phone to get a straight-through booking (Bags checked in from IBZ- YYZ) however they wanted to charge me an extra 3000 CAD. I found the same flight on BA arriving 3 hrs before my LHR-YZZ Departure for 400 CAD. They told me if I go ahead and book it under a separate ticket, i wont be able to check my bags all the way to YYZ, and would need to pick up my bags and re-check in for my second leg.

I am worried that the act of going through passport control and picking up my bags would mean i would need to enter the UK (Requiring a 2 week quarantine in the UK). Is this true? Any advice on what to do in this situation?

I am Canadian and have 1 dose of the Vaccine and would have a -ve PCR test. Thanks,
Going through passport control to retrieve and re-check your bags, i.e., a landside transit, exempts you from the quarantine and testing requirements. I’ve written about our own experience on an overnight transit through LHR and it was not a problem; do a search for it for the details. The only issue for you is how long it will take to get through passport control and how long your transit time is. It can take from 1 minute to a couple of hours to get through, and as the UK opens up further those times might get longer.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by prof
Going through passport control to retrieve and re-check your bags, i.e., a landside transit, exempts you from the quarantine and testing requirements. I’ve written about our own experience on an overnight transit through LHR and it was not a problem; do a search for it for the details. The only issue for you is how long it will take to get through passport control and how long your transit time is. It can take from 1 minute to a couple of hours to get through, and as the UK opens up further those times might get longer.
Thanks Prof, I actually have an option of 3 hr layover or 4.5 hrs. Might be better to go for the longer layover. Travelling End of Aug. What do you think?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by prof
Going through passport control to retrieve and re-check your bags, i.e., a landside transit, exempts you from the quarantine and testing requirements.
I'm confused. Wouldn't going through passport control and getting your baggage mean that you've crossed the border and MUST comply with UK rules?
Also, what if you have to change terminals at Heathrow? I'm currently flying into LHR next month on Delta and will need to switch to a BA flight to Germany. I think I have to enter the UK to switch terminals, even if I'm immediately leaving the UK. No?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can’t comment on the changing UK requirements, but there is no way to merge these bookings. You will have to collect your luggage in LHR and then check in again. This can take as little as 30 minutes and as much as several hours. You will need to comply with the cutoff times for the YYZ flight. Bear in mind also that if your inbound flight is delayed or canceled, and you miss you second flight, you have no recourse or protection and will need to buy a new flight back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.