Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green list question

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Green list question

You must only have been in or travelled through a green list country or the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man in the previous 10 days.

The wording is interesting. I know I could go to Portugal for 10 days and then enter the UK under green list rules. (This is assuming Portugal will let US residents in.)

But based on the above, couldn't I just fly JFK-LIS and then ticket LIS-LON separately and fly onward immediately? I will have "been in" and "traveled through" a green list country. Not trying to be cute, just trying to figure out correct interpretation of the rule. Ideally, I'd love to go to Lisbon or Porto for a couple days and move on.
Old May 24, 2021, 1:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No, the rules are based on everywhere you have been in the preceding 10 days so that wouldn’t work. You would have to declare where you have been in the passenger locator form and you would be treated as an amber arrival in the UK. The only way to avoid this is to spend 10 days in a green country before arrival as you noted.
Old May 24, 2021, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Understood and thanks
Old May 25, 2021, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
You must only have been in or travelled through a green list country or the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man in the previous 10 days.

The wording is interesting. I know I could go to Portugal for 10 days and then enter the UK under green list rules. (This is assuming Portugal will let US residents in.)

But based on the above, couldn't I just fly JFK-LIS and then ticket LIS-LON separately and fly onward immediately? I will have "been in" and "traveled through" a green list country. Not trying to be cute, just trying to figure out correct interpretation of the rule. Ideally, I'd love to go to Lisbon or Porto for a couple days and move on.
Did you miss the word ONLY?

rb211.
stewardo likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:00 pm

I'm so sick of all this! In my case, I have Iceland, Germany, Italy, France, UK in my June itin and anticipated that Europe would be open when I booked. I'm waiting maybe a day or more and then cancelling everything. Seems that some are at the cusp of announcing tourism open dates but all it takes is one hitch to derail. Sucks. I hate this type of gambling.,
Old May 25, 2021, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tailgater
I'm so sick of all this! In my case, I have Iceland, Germany, Italy, France, UK in my June itin and anticipated that Europe would be open when I booked. I'm waiting maybe a day or more and then cancelling everything. Seems that some are at the cusp of announcing tourism open dates but all it takes is one hitch to derail. Sucks. I hate this type of gambling.,
Same. I've also booked a backup to go earlier if I have to do test and release for the UK. Worst case, I go 5 days early and take 2 extra corona tests and watch a gogglebox marathon on the telly. Total waste of time and money, but a nearly tourist free London could be interesting.

Or if UK adds more green list countries, just go there and chill out for 10 days before entering the UK.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tailgater
Yes, it sucks. Everyone is absolutely sick of it.

I'm dealing with it by simply not booking any foreign trips for 2020: they're just not worth the uncertainty, frustration and hassle. I had a wonderful time in Edinburgh last week (almost no tourists, rock-bottom hotel rates and no trouble getting restaurant bookings) and am looking forward to a trip to north Wales next week.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
No, the rules are based on everywhere you have been in the preceding 10 days so that wouldn’t work. You would have to declare where you have been in the passenger locator form and you would be treated as an amber arrival in the UK. The only way to avoid this is to spend 10 days in a green country before arrival as you noted.
In terms of defining the 10 days before arrival - is that 10 x 24 hour periods, or 10 days starting from the midnight after you arrive?

So if I arrive in the UK tomorrow evening from an amber country, then leave the UK almost immediately to a green list country, am I out of the woods the following Sunday evening (ten days later) or Monday (10 full days passing in between with part days not counting)?
Old May 26, 2021, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Vgravity
In terms of defining the 10 days before arrival - is that 10 x 24 hour periods, or 10 days starting from the midnight after you arrive?

So if I arrive in the UK tomorrow evening from an amber country, then leave the UK almost immediately to a green list country, am I out of the woods the following Sunday evening (ten days later) or Monday (10 full days passing in between with part days not counting)?
Hi,

I think to be safe, spend 10 full days in a green list country before returning to the UK

Regards

TBS
Old May 26, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think to be safe, spend 10 full days in a green list country before returning to the UK

Regards

TBS
Thanks. I had thought it might be the case. Wondering if anyone had legal clarification, as it would be much more convenient to come back on the 10th day (rather than the 11th day after 10 full days).
Old May 26, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Thanks. I had thought it might be the case. Wondering if anyone had legal clarification, as it would be much more convenient to come back on the 10th day (rather than the 11th day after 10 full days).
I think the relevant bit of the law is https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/9/made (Further requirements on arrivals from category 2 countries and territories)

9.—(1) This regulation applies where a person (“P”)—

(a)arrives in England from—

(i)a category 2 country or territory,

(ii)within the common travel area or from a category 1 country or territory, and has at any time in the period beginning with the 10th day before the date of their arrival in England, departed from or transited through a category 2 country or territory,
(Category 1 = Green, Category 2 = Amber)
Old May 26, 2021, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Annnnnnd.... France just put in a 10 day quarantine for UK arrivals. There goes my UK-France trip.

I assume assume there's 0 chance France goes green list for UK entry.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Annnnnnd.... France just put in a 10 day quarantine for UK arrivals. There goes my UK-France trip.

I assume assume there's 0 chance France goes green list for UK entry.
wow. One step forward, ten back.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:23 am
Original Poster

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1509...s-from-june-7/

FINGERS CROSSED!!!
Old May 28, 2021, 8:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
i think you need to take in to account the track record of the source tho

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.