Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

NHS Rapid Antigen test for USA predeparture?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald

Does anyone know if the NHS Rapid Antigen Test is acceptable as a pre departure test when traveling to the USA? I read the CDC website and could not find specific information, so I am looking for anyone with practical experience please.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by planet_erg
Does anyone know if the NHS Rapid Antigen Test is acceptable as a pre departure test when traveling to the USA? I read the CDC website and could not find specific information, so I am looking for anyone with practical experience please.
The US accepts rapid antigen tests for entry (just went through that last week from Continental Europe); not sure if there's anything special about the NHS version but I assume they should be fine.
Old May 20, 2021, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
The US accepts rapid antigen tests for entry (just went through that last week from Continental Europe); not sure if there's anything special about the NHS version but I assume they should be fine.
Thanks ClipperDelta! I think they are normal tests, but was hopping someone had done the trip from the UK lately.
Old May 20, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to my St Andrews parent network, several students have been turned away by United with NHS tests in the last two days. I believe the issue is the NHS test results do not contain enough info match to the passport.
Fortunately the students had enough time to do the test at Heathrow.
Old May 21, 2021, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
According to my St Andrews parent network, several students have been turned away by United with NHS tests in the last two days. I believe the issue is the NHS test results do not contain enough info match to the passport.
Fortunately the students had enough time to do the test at Heathrow.
Interesting!!! Thank you for sharing. The email I get from the NHS includes my name and DOB, which should be enough to tie into a passport. I don't suppose you had any more information do you?
Old May 21, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting!!! Thank you for sharing. The email I get from the NHS includes my name and DOB, which should be enough to tie into a passport. I don't suppose you had any more information do you?
My understanding is that United said that the NHS test does not meet the requirement of
  • Show written proof of the traveler’s negative test result and include the traveler’s name and other identifying details matching those on the traveler’s passport or other valid form of identification
So I can only think they want more than DOB. The antigen test at Heathrow was quick and accepted. My student plans to use it.
Old May 21, 2021, 9:49 am
Original Poster

You know, now I think about it, I think there is a way to report a test to the NHS when you are not a registered member and I am wondering if those emails have less details maybe...any idea?
Old May 21, 2021, 10:54 am

I understand the NHS tests are cheap free, but the problem is that they're not meant to be used for travelling. We can discuss as much as we like of the morality of flogging tests at £90-£190 as many of the carpetbaggers that have flooded the market are doing but... I'm afraid you cannot use the NHS free tests for the purpose of travelling.
VickiSoCal likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
I understand the NHS tests are cheap free, but the problem is that they're not meant to be used for travelling. We can discuss as much as we like of the morality of flogging tests at £90-£190 as many of the carpetbaggers that have flooded the market are doing but... I'm afraid you cannot use the NHS free tests for the purpose of travelling.
I appreciate your point of view, but are speaking from fact when you say that the tests can not be used? Or just opinion? Not trying to be insulting, genuine question.
Old May 21, 2021, 2:24 pm

I appreciate your point of view, but are speaking from fact when you say that the tests can not be used? Or just opinion? Not trying to be insulting, genuine question.

"If you're travelling abroad, you may need to get a test before you travel. You need to pay for a test privately and should not get a free test from the NHS."
Source: www.nhs.uk
13901 likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 2:44 pm

As Stewardo pointed out, the NHS tests shouldn’t be used for travel purposes. I agree, it’s morally ambiguous to say the least, considering we pay for the NHS through our taxes and bearing in mind that private tests are exorbitant in terms of price but... that’s the situation we’re in, I guess.
Old May 21, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lateral flow test at Heathrow is 35 pounds, ready in 30 minutes and accepted by US. Most of the cost is likely in running the center and emailing results, but it is what it is. Airlines will not accept the NHS test so no sense in trying.
Old May 21, 2021, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The lateral flow test at Heathrow is 35 pounds, ready in 30 minutes and accepted by US. Most of the cost is likely in running the center and emailing results, but it is what it is. Airlines will not accept the NHS test so no sense in trying.
Thanks everyone, the money is not the biggest issue, I only have 1h30 in LHR T5. I am flying in from EDI and then out to BOS. Is that enough time to get the test? Where is the test center?
Old May 21, 2021, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thanks everyone, the money is not the biggest issue, I only have 1h30 in LHR T5. I am flying in from EDI and then out to BOS. Is that enough time to get the test? Where is the test center?
If you are concerned about time at LHR, you could do the lateral flow test at Edinburgh Airport ExpressTest before your flight to LHR, although it costs a bit more than the LHR test.
https://www.edinburghairport.com/fly...at-the-airport
https://www.expresstest.co.uk/heathr...3_lateral_flow
KARFA and planet_erg like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.