Wiki Posts
Search

UK Stay from Amber List Country for 24 Hours

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 5:16 am
Original Poster

UK Stay from Amber List Country for 24 Hours

Hi everybody!

I will be traveling to the UK next week from Germany and only stay 24 Hours in London.

So my questions are:

1. As far as I read I don't need to self isolate the whole 10 days. Only for the duration of the stay. Did somebody make any experiences there? is that true?
2. When filling the Passenger Locator Form I need to submit the Booking Code for Day 2 and 8 Test. But I will only be staying for 24 hours. What should I do here?

thanks!
Old May 17, 2021, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by noah2206
Hi everybody!

I will be traveling to the UK next week from Germany and only stay 24 Hours in London.

So my questions are:

1. As far as I read I don't need to self isolate the whole 10 days. Only for the duration of the stay. Did somebody make any experiences there? is that true?
2. When filling the Passenger Locator Form I need to submit the Booking Code for Day 2 and 8 Test. But I will only be staying for 24 hours. What should I do here?

thanks!

Hi,

1. Correct. You only need to self isolate for the period in the uk before heading to the airport.

2. I think on the form there may be a section where you indicate you are exempt from testing so you do not need to fill in the test 2 and 8 references

Regards
tbs
noah2206 likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:44 pm

See the thread started on the 16th by Cathy1101 describing how to do this.

Looks like you already have.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:06 pm

I asked "Track and Trace" similar question few days ago, maybe you'd find it helpful.

Question:

" (...) Family member needs to fly into England for less than 10 days from the country that is on the amber list. The government website states that:

"If you’re travelling to England for less than 10 days, you will need to quarantine for the whole of your stay. You must travel directly to your place of quarantine when you arrive in England and directly from your place of quarantine to the port or airport when you leave."

... at the same time though it says that:

"If you do not take the day 2 and day 8 tests, you may face a penalty of up to £2,000. "

Could you clear that up for me - if the visitor is in the UK for lets say 5 days only, can they just abandon the 8th day test with no consequences (as they will already be outside the UK)?"
Answer:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding travel to the UK for less than 10 days.

While there are no exemptions to the testing requirements in a scenario like this, citizens will not be penalised for non-compliance due to no longer being in the country. This means your family member will be able to ignore the day 8 test with no repercussions.

Thank you for following government guidelines and helping stop the spread."
It looks like even short visit requires booking a test package. I don't know whether visit for less than 3 days could be treated as a transit? However if your further destination is the same as initial one would that be any legitimate? It doesn't seem like a transit anymore. Could somebody clear that up?
Old May 19, 2021, 12:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The answer you got was not correct. You do not have to book any tests if you are intending to be in the Uk for 2 days or less, and don’t have to book a day 8 of less than 8. This is explicit in the relevant legislation.
The _Banking_Scot and DaveS like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
The answer you got was not correct. You do not have to book any tests if you are intending to be in the Uk for 2 days or less, and don’t have to book a day 8 of less than 8. This is explicit in the relevant legislation.
So if I am out of the UK and book an long layover in the UK, on the way from elsewhere to elsewhere, I don't really need to worry about anything - other than the PCR before boarding, I take it?
Old May 19, 2021, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
So if I am out of the UK and book an long layover in the UK, on the way from elsewhere to elsewhere, I don't really need to worry about anything - other than the PCR before boarding, I take it?
If you are only in the UK for two days or less, and you have not come from or been in a red list country in the preceding 10 days, then you will need to have a pre arrival test and fill in the plf only. Any amber country arrivals also need to self isolate whilst in the Uk.
DaveS likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 3:21 am

2 days or 48 hours (between inbound and outbound flights)?
Old May 19, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by casper.slo
2 days or 48 hours (between inbound and outbound flights)?
Two quarantine days, where your day of arrival is counted as day zero. So say you land Sunday evening, so long as you're out of the UK before Tuesday night, you're okay as I understand it.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 3:42 am

Sorry I answered on my mobile earlier which doesn't show post counts. So can I belatedly welcome you to FT casper.slo and to congratulate you on your first post. I hope it is the first of many
DaveS and casper.slo like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 7:57 am

Thanks. 🙂

I just want to add that I've heard about multiple situations when airline didn't let the passenger on the flight without having test package booked (transiting through UK). I realise it is the airline staff lack of knowledge, but it is something to consider and have the legislation printed to prove it (on the airport).
Old May 19, 2021, 8:01 am

Thanks. 🙂

I just want to add that I've heard about multiple situations when airline didn't let the passenger on the flight without having test package booked (transiting through UK). I realise it is the airline staff lack of knowledge, but it is something to consider and have the legislation printed to prove it (on the airport).
This was my concern (and I started a thread to this effect.) I'm hoping that now the PLF form shows you have the option to select you're exempt from testing then you'll be okay, but I'm probably going to travel with the legislation anyway.

Besides, the reality is if you get someone super stubborn, they're probably going to deny you boarding no matter how hard you throw the book at them. It's all part of the fun of travelling amidst a pandemic!
casper.slo likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:33 am

You can also find a test provider that accepts cancellation and in case they deny you boarding you could quickly book package at the airport (and then cancel it when in UK).
Old May 19, 2021, 11:37 am

You can also find a test provider that accepts cancellation and in case they deny you boarding you could quickly book package at the airport (and then cancel it when in UK).
That's not a bad idea - do you know of any that do? Might book some tests just in case and cancel after we land - that would seem logical!
Old May 19, 2021, 2:08 pm

I was actually looking into this a few weeks ago and you have more or less the answer above. You dont need to book any testing package, you can refer them to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...through-the-uk

"If you will be transiting landside through the UK, you need to do the following when you complete your passenger locator form.
  • select ‘Stay in the UK’ under the Your travel plans section
  • reply ‘No’ to any questions about whether you are required to complete COVID-19 tests on arrival
  • reply ‘No’ to the question ‘Have you visited a Red List country within the past 10 days and/or are required by law to quarantine in a government approved facility?"
The only question I have is what is meant with "remain within your port of entry until your departure from England" so stay at Heathrow for example or stay isolated until you depart?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.