Practicality of Landside Transit via the UK without Day 2 Test

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!

Under existing (and the new legislation destined to be implemented from tomorrow), travellers are not obligated to buy a Day 2 and 8 testing package if, in fact, they do not intend (and ultimately are not) in the UK for longer than three days (given the day of arrival is considered quarantine day 0.)

This summer we intend to transit the UK both outbound and inbound on TATL itineraries and on both legs will have left the UK before our Quarantine Day 2.

I don't doubt that, at the UK Border, the officers will be aware that we don't need to have purchased the Day 2 tests to transit the UK. My concern is that at outstation third-party check-in facilities they'll be running through a list of Neg. Test, PLF and Day 2+8 Test confirmation before checking folks in and that they'll stumble with us when we try and explain that as we're transiting we don't need the latter.

I understand the PLF will automatically remove the requirement for us to enter the Day 2 and 8 testing confirmation number, but that still doesn't inspire confidence. Indeed, TIMATIC doesn't make things much clearer either - before you find the stated exemption from the tests for transit passengers, you have to click out of TIMATIC and onto the endless list of stated exemptions and scroll right to the bottom. There's no simple statement that those in the UK for less than 2 days aren't required to order tests they won't use.

Therefore, I thought it would be worthwhile trying to collate together any experiences people have had with navigating these instances at the various stages of their journeys - perhaps there was a certain webpage or document that was convincing enough for the check-in or boarding agent? Any experiences or advice that people have on how to navigate what will probably be a testing situation would be much appreciated.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:50 am

Hi! I actually have the same Question!

But I'm already getting stuck at the Passenger Locator Form. I entered that my trip will only last 2 days but on one of the last Steps the PLF is asking me for a Booking Reference Number for the Day 2 and Day 8 Test.

How did you get the PFL to not ask you for this number?
Old May 17, 2021, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noah2206
Hi! I actually have the same Question!

But I'm already getting stuck at the Passenger Locator Form. I entered that my trip will only last 2 days but on one of the last Steps the PLF is asking me for a Booking Reference Number for the Day 2 and Day 8 Test.

How did you get the PFL to not ask you for this number?
That wasn't what I was hoping to hear - that was based on what I'd heard elsewhere. I think you can tick that you are exempt from any post-arrival testing requirements and then apparently it shouldn't prompt you for the confirmation...

Perhaps give that a whirl?
Old May 17, 2021, 5:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought you can just select transit in the plf which means no requirement for a day 2&8 test package reference?
Old May 17, 2021, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought you can just select transit in the plf which means no requirement for a day 2&8 test package reference?
Nope - it's nowhere near that simple unfortunately. You have to (rather counterintuitively) select that you're "staying in the UK" and then after that you have to select the option that you're exempt from testing after arrival.

This is why I'm concerned - there is nothing on that form which explicitly states we're transiting - it literally says we're staying in the UK and that we're somehow exempt from buying tests. I can already foresee the confusion this will cause a Slovak FR check-in agent at BTS, although I'm more worried about the Mexican check-in agent at CUN, as we can only speak English and Slovak - no Spanish!

Surely it would be much easier to just have a 'transit' option at the onset like you're suggesting and for it to explicitly state on TIMATIC that those in the UK for less than 72 hours (or 3 days) are not required to buy Day 2+8 tests?

EDIT: It looks like they've changed this, mercifully, - it's still somewhat convoluted, but nowhere near as bad! You're asked whether you're exempt from the tests and, it now looks like on the PDF form it states Yes and gives the reason (transit airside or landside as applicable), which should hopefully be enough to convince check-in agents.

noah2206 - Give this a try and see how you get on!

Last edited by Cathay1101; May 17, 2021 at 7:34 am
Old May 17, 2021, 11:44 am

Cathay1101 for me "transit airside or landside as applicable" still does not show up in the PLF

Are you filling out the Form Online? Because you mentioned a PDF. I was not aware that you can also fill out the form in a PDF. I thought it must be online.
Old May 17, 2021, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noah2206
Cathay1101 for me "transit airside or landside as applicable" still does not show up in the PLF

Are you filling out the Form Online? Because you mentioned a PDF. I was not aware that you can also fill out the form in a PDF. I thought it must be online.
Yes that was filling out the form online - it gives you the option to receive your completed form as a PDF via email once completed.

See what I dealt with below - it all starts after you've input where you've been in the past 10 days. It's the last part before the declaration.

The page you reach after you input the countries you've visited in the last 10 days - for transit passengers select exempt.

Then input transit and choose as necessary...

Then same process from testing - we're exempt as we're not here beyond Day 2.

Then same exemption process again.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:04 am

Similar to you, I will be leaving the UK on day 2. I understand that I am legally not required to 'take' the day 2 test, but does it say anywhere clearly in the government guidelines that there is no need to book a test?
I can't seem to find it, and unlike you, I do NOT trust border patrol to understand this issue without putting up a fight
Old May 20, 2021, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tom Shtuyot
Similar to you, I will be leaving the UK on day 2. I understand that I am legally not required to 'take' the day 2 test, but does it say anywhere clearly in the government guidelines that there is no need to book a test?
I can't seem to find it, and unlike you, I do NOT trust border patrol to understand this issue without putting up a fight
Yes - see KARFA's response on the other thread. The fact that it doesn't ask you for it on the PLF is a pretty good indication that it isn't required, and it is explicitly stated in the legislation. Given the (literally) tens of thousands still passing through UK borders each day, I'm sure they're seeing hundreds in our situation per day.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
A quick question - does this work if I'm coming from/going back to the same country? For example, I have to fly from the US to LHR on June 17 (landing June 18) but then fly back to the US on June 20. I'll self-isolate at home while here, of course. Can I indicate that I'm a "transit" passenger?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Legally I'm pretty sure that does work - as from what I understand you're only required to buy the test if you're physically present in the UK for the entirety of Day's 0, 1 and 2. I therefore don't see you having any difficulties with Border Force at LHR/whichever port you arrive at.

That being said, I think you might encounter difficulty convincing check-in agents that you're transiting back to whence you came, although if TIMATIC clearly states only those staying beyond Day 2 require the tests then maybe you'd be alright.

Not sure you're able to tick transiting as you're not. What you may be able to tick is that you're exempt from the testing requirement as you're staying for less than two days. I doubt that'll be an option, so maybe tick 'Other' and if they ask for a reason I'd try and paste in the relevant legislation that shows you're exempt as you're not in the UK for more than two days - I know KARFA has posted links to the statutory instrument somewhere around the place. I suggest you give that a go, as the alternative is that joyous feeling of paying 95 quid for tests you don't legally need!

Last edited by Cathay1101; Jun 3, 2021 at 2:50 pm
Old Jun 4, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
The legislation setting out the testing rules is https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/6/made

I think the main bits are:

6.—(1) This regulation applies to a person (“P”) specified in paragraph (1) of regulation 5 (requirements relating to tests) who—

(a)intends to remain in England for two days or more after the day of their arrival; or

(b)intended to remain in England for less than two days after the day of their arrival but in fact remains in England for two days or more.

12 (c)“testing package” means—

(i)where P is a person falling within regulation 5(1)(a) (arrivals from category 1 countries or territories), a booking for a day 2 test,

(ii)where P is a person falling within regulation 5(1)(b) to (e) (arrivals from category 2 and 3 coutnries or territories) and—

(aa)intends to remain in England for 8 days or more, a booking for a day 2 test and a day 8 test,

(bb)intends to leave England on or before the 7th day after P’s arrival in England, a booking for a day 2 test.
It does mention "2 or more days" as the cut-off, so I think a next day transit is exempted, but a 2 night transit still needs to buy a day-2 testing package (but not a 2+8 as you leave on/before the 7th day)
Old Jun 4, 2021, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
The legislation setting out the testing rules is https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/6/made

I think the main bits are:

It does mention "2 or more days" as the cut-off, so I think a next day transit is exempted, but a 2 night transit still needs to buy a day-2 testing package (but not a 2+8 as you leave on/before the 7th day)
if you arrive on day 0 and stay two nights departing on day 2, then you do not need a day 2 test since you are not remaining for 2 (full) days or more after the day of your arrival.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
Yes - see KARFA's response on the other thread. The fact that it doesn't ask you for it on the PLF is a pretty good indication that it isn't required, and it is explicitly stated in the legislation. Given the (literally) tens of thousands still passing through UK borders each day, I'm sure they're seeing hundreds in our situation per day.
I went through LCY last week, and had to explain to border force, and the LX gate staff at ZRH, about this exemption. I'm not sure as many people are doing it as you might expect.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Vgravity
I went through LCY last week, and had to explain to border force, and the LX gate staff at ZRH, about this exemption. I'm not sure as many people are doing it as you might expect.
Mind sharing your experience? My worry honestly isn't so much being within the letter of the law (I'm pretty sure that I am) as it is being denied boarding by someone who thinks I'm not and/or hassled by Border Force...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.