Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet Embargo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Pet Embargo

I've just tried to organise a summer itinerary VIE-LHR-VIE on Austrian - travelling with our cat - and was told that the UK government has imposed an embargo on pets travelling to the UK. It applied to pets travelling both in the cabin and the hold, apparently.

This was the first I'd heard about it and I can't seem to find anything online - LH also gave me the same response when I tried to book an itinerary via FRA, so I'm presuming it's at least EU-wide?

If anyone has any information on this that would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is lots of info on the UK government website about bringing in pets to the UK / pet passports etc so search for that.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is lots of info on the UK government website about bringing in pets to the UK / pet passports etc so search for that.
Thanks @UKtravelbear - we've done the trip with our cat multiple times both by air and road (even post-Brexit - he has a Slovak pet passport so it works both ways still), but this is the first we've heard of there being an embargo on pet travel. I've found nothing on Gov.uk, either.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Cathay1101
I've just tried to organise a summer itinerary VIE-LHR-VIE on Austrian - travelling with our cat - and was told that the UK government has imposed an embargo on pets travelling to the UK. It applied to pets travelling both in the cabin and the hold, apparently.

This was the first I'd heard about it and I can't seem to find anything online - LH also gave me the same response when I tried to book an itinerary via FRA, so I'm presuming it's at least EU-wide?

If anyone has any information on this that would be greatly appreciated!
Austrian from VIE would still seem to be approved based on this list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...for-pet-travel

But perhaps the cost of complying for the airline with the UK regime is uneconomic? Very often “we’ve chosen not to do it” can be communicated as “we can’t do it”.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Austrian from VIE would still seem to be approved based on this list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...for-pet-travel

But perhaps the cost of complying for the airline with the UK regime is uneconomic? Very often “we’ve chosen not to do it” can be communicated as “we can’t do it”.

Thanks for this - yes - we were successfully able to take him with us on Austrian from VIE just over a month ago without any problems whatsoever. I haven't a clue what's changed - and nor does google by the looks of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.