Wiki Posts
Search

NHS Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by enviroian
She is still at William Harvey hospital. They told her this morning she was going home and now they tell her she is being transferred to some hospital in Faversham. I don't know what type of facility it is but I'm getting frustrated as to why such little information is being divulged. My mom hasn't seen or heard from the surgeon since the surgery one week ago. What in god's name is up with that? Is that common? It is also common to not get a private room and no tv? Ugh.
Not having a private room is one of the ways the NHS saves money. Having done both private and NHS, I don't have a problem with open wards.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:21 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
She is still at William Harvey hospital. They told her this morning she was going home and now they tell her she is being transferred to some hospital in Faversham. I don't know what type of facility it is but I'm getting frustrated as to why such little information is being divulged. My mom hasn't seen or heard from the surgeon since the surgery one week ago. What in god's name is up with that? Is that common? It is also common to not get a private room and no tv? Ugh.
You are a frequent visitor to the UK, I'm assuming you have some sort of idea how the NHS works and is funded, so hopefully I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here. For your mother's sake you need to understand what to expect and what you can reasonably ask for.

First up, having open wards allows the NHS to fit more patients into the available space. Particularly in cities, space is at a premium. Building costs are expensive. The NHS needs to fit as many beds as it possibly can into that space for as small an expenditure as possible. If everyone had a private room that would reduce the numbers by, I'd estimate, something like 70-80%. People would, quite simply, die because they couldn't get a hospital bed and get treated. But pretty much every bed has a small TV to watch, mounted on an extendable arm. The NHS was founded on the principle of free heathcare for all. It's the UK's single largest employer and processes millions of people through its various facilities every year. It needs these arrangements to be as they are for very good reasons.

Next, the NHS has spent the last few months stretched to absolute capacity and a bit beyond - more so than during a normal winter. Staff are off sick because they've been exposed to Covid. Hours are longer than ever with higher levels of intensive patient care required. Some parts of the system have had to shut down so staff can be re-deployed elsewhere. That your mother hasn't seen her surgeon wouldn't be that unusual in normal times if the op was minor, which it sounds like this was. At the moment I'd be amazed if lengthy visits are possible, so it's much more likely the surgeon/consultant's registrar will pick up the case, and those people are highly qualified and very capable.

Lastly, the service functions best when clinical beds are vacated as quickly as possible - which can unfortunately lead to some patients being discharged before they're really ready. That's why the advice given to speak to the ward - actually the Social Services team within it that deals with discharges - is spot on. It might be that the hospital in Faversham is designed for longer term recuperation - in which case it's ideal. It's very unlikely your mother will be moved to another clinical bed - there would be no point, it would just block the system up for longer. But do ring and understand what the plan is - there is almost always room for discussion in my experience, although you need to accept that the ideal solution quite likely doesn't exist, and sometimes you have to accept the practical option. Be aware also that things will be time limited - if you get an acceptable resolution grab it, otherwise someone else will be taking your mother's spot in that new hospital.

I hope you'll reflect that perhaps "Ugh" may be a little inappropriate and insensitive, and when you speak to the ward you need to temper your expectations and words somewhat otherwise the tea and sympathy is going to be in vastly shorter supply.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
You are a frequent visitor to the UK, I'm assuming you have some sort of idea how the NHS works and is funded, so hopefully I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here. For your mother's sake you need to understand what to expect and what you can reasonably ask for.

First up, having open wards allows the NHS to fit more patients into the available space. Particularly in cities, space is at a premium. Building costs are expensive. The NHS needs to fit as many beds as it possibly can into that space for as small an expenditure as possible. If everyone had a private room that would reduce the numbers by, I'd estimate, something like 70-80%. People would, quite simply, die because they couldn't get a hospital bed and get treated. But pretty much every bed has a small TV to watch, mounted on an extendable arm. The NHS was founded on the principle of free heathcare for all. It's the UK's single largest employer and processes millions of people through its various facilities every year. It needs these arrangements to be as they are for very good reasons.

Next, the NHS has spent the last few months stretched to absolute capacity and a bit beyond - more so than during a normal winter. Staff are off sick because they've been exposed to Covid. Hours are longer than ever with higher levels of intensive patient care required. Some parts of the system have had to shut down so staff can be re-deployed elsewhere. That your mother hasn't seen her surgeon wouldn't be that unusual in normal times if the op was minor, which it sounds like this was. At the moment I'd be amazed if lengthy visits are possible, so it's much more likely the surgeon/consultant's registrar will pick up the case, and those people are highly qualified and very capable.

Lastly, the service functions best when clinical beds are vacated as quickly as possible - which can unfortunately lead to some patients being discharged before they're really ready. That's why the advice given to speak to the ward - actually the Social Services team within it that deals with discharges - is spot on. It might be that the hospital in Faversham is designed for longer term recuperation - in which case it's ideal. It's very unlikely your mother will be moved to another clinical bed - there would be no point, it would just block the system up for longer. But do ring and understand what the plan is - there is almost always room for discussion in my experience, although you need to accept that the ideal solution quite likely doesn't exist, and sometimes you have to accept the practical option. Be aware also that things will be time limited - if you get an acceptable resolution grab it, otherwise someone else will be taking your mother's spot in that new hospital.

I hope you'll reflect that perhaps "Ugh" may be a little inappropriate and insensitive, and when you speak to the ward you need to temper your expectations and words somewhat otherwise the tea and sympathy is going to be in vastly shorter supply.
Thank you for a thorough understanding. As much as I've been to the UK in my life (100+ times) I've never had to use NHS so I my understanding was never fully realized.

Sorry for the 'ugh". My mom is not even put off by any of this and when I gave her an "ugh" when she said she hasn't seen the surgeon since the operation she indicated it was no big deal and just shrugged her shoulders.
NWIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It looks like your mother has been moved to Faversham Cottage Hospital which sounds like the best place for her.

It's a faciilty focussed on rehabilitation which is what your mother needs since her need for active medical and surgical intervention has passed.

https://www.kentcht.nhs.uk/service/f...tage-hospital/

it is quite common for a Consultant not to review a common case of bread and butter surgery when it's also likely a consultant didn't actually perform it.

A Senior Registrar (the level below Consultant but still highly qualified and experienced and competent to practise medicine) would likely have done this and possible even supervised a more junior surgeon in the operating theatre so they get experience. Even a Registrar is more than competant to operate on their own in simple cases but able to call on a more senior surgeon if required.

There are single rooms in NHS hospitals but they are used for patients whose clinical condition demands them.
rockflyertalk and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It looks like your mother has been moved to Faversham Cottage Hospital which sounds like the best place for her.

It's a faciilty focussed on rehabilitation which is what your mother needs since her need for active medical and surgical intervention has passed.

https://www.kentcht.nhs.uk/service/f...tage-hospital/

it is quite common for a Consultant not to review a common case of bread and butter surgery when it's also likely a consultant didn't actually perform it.

A Senior Registrar (the level below Consultant but still highly qualified and experienced and competent to practise medicine) would likely have done this and possible even supervised a more junior surgeon in the operating theatre so they get experience. Even a Registrar is more than competant to operate on their own in simple cases but able to call on a more senior surgeon if required.

There are single rooms in NHS hospitals but they are used for patients whose clinical condition demands them.
Good info thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I got a single room in our local hospital due to my snoring 😳
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I got a single room in our local hospital due to my snoring 😳
After having her hip replaced + small complications, mum had single room and open ward experience. The clinching advantage of the ward was being able to flag down staff for toilet visits. That essential service is the bane of the bed-bound and those with mobility problems.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My mom will be going home Saturday. NHS is going to provide her a bed in her home (mom lives in a 2 story) for easier access and also provide a carer 3x/day.

I was wrong her hospital. She is not in Faversham but down the road in Whitsable. Appears to be the same type of facility and offers physical therapy.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Patients under the care of a surgeon's team should be seen by someone on the team every working day. It will usually be the registrar and the other junior members but the consultant will check in occasionally. A registrar is sort of equivalent to the R4/R5 resident in the US.

From a patient's perspective all of the doctors on the team could be called the "surgeon" - although the most junior member (freshly graduated i.e. R1 in the US) is mostly based on the wards and would not have done much training in actual surgery, only rarely going to the operating theatre when needed.

When the patient has recovered from surgery, the surgical team will discharge them. However the patient may not be suitable to go home because they may have some non-surgical problems necessitating a prolonged stay, or social problems such as being unable to fully take care of themselves, etc. In this case the surgeons will no longer see them and their care will now be under a medical team or a rehabilitation team.
plunet likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 2:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

She's leaving hospital tomorrow. She is in a room with two other ladies currently at whitsable hospital. They have a head "matron" there. I found that amusing

The bed has been delivered to her home. She is excited to get home.

Does anyone know of a good source to look, and vet, a dog walker in the Tenterden area by chance? Any flyertalkers close want to walk this specimen?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Maybe try the Cinnamon Trust charity - https://cinnamon.org.uk/home/.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She's leaving hospital tomorrow. She is in a room with two other ladies currently at whitsable hospital. They have a head "matron" there. I found that amusing

The bed has been delivered to her home. She is excited to get home.

Does anyone know of a good source to look, and vet, a dog walker in the Tenterden area by chance? Any flyertalkers close want to walk this specimen?
That is one cute looking dog!

I'm a little too far to be of any use but I hope you find someone to walk the pooch. Have a look around online though, I am sure you'll be able to find a reputable dog walking service.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 9:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by louie-m
Maybe try the Cinnamon Trust charity - https://cinnamon.org.uk/home/.
Looks interesting, thanks for the link
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Glad she's able to go home! Based on my own NHS experience, the consultant usually only makes formal rounds a couple of times a week. The more junior hospital doctors are round at least daily, some of whom have been practicing for many years and would actually have already completed a residency in the US. Hopefully you won't have to go through this experience again but having had to deal with similar situations on several occasions I've found the best person to contact is the ward sister (charge nurse) who usually knows more about the patient than the more junior hospital staff.
Hope she finds a walker for her lovely dog whom I sure will be delighted to have her home.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwugson
Glad she's able to go home! Based on my own NHS experience, the consultant usually only makes formal rounds a couple of times a week. The more junior hospital doctors are round at least daily, some of whom have been practicing for many years and would actually have already completed a residency in the US. Hopefully you won't have to go through this experience again but having had to deal with similar situations on several occasions I've found the best person to contact is the ward sister (charge nurse) who usually knows more about the patient than the more junior hospital staff.
Hope she finds a walker for her lovely dog whom I sure will be delighted to have her home.
Yes Blue has been getting walkies four times a day from local Tenterden residents. I'm really impressed with the caring people have. NHS is sending someone 3 times a day to assist my mom. She is getting a new cast next week at William Harvey hospital in Ashford although she 'll need a ride. My sister is driving down from Walmer to assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.