UK cut VAT to 5%

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:07 am
Original Poster

UK cut VAT to 5%

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53340768
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The VAT cut is only for food and non-alcoholic drinks when eating in a restaurant etc, for accommodation and for attractions. And only then if the business registers for the scheme - which sounded rather complicated to implement.

The end result may be that fast-food outlets may sell meal deals cheaper. As they have been closed for the last three months and people have been walking and taking exercise, the average health of the nation has probably improved. This will not be the result the government intended!

Furthermore, the "tossers" who throw their waste in public places rather than bin-it will now buy their rubbish cheaper.
dddc and farci like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by antichef
The VAT cut is only for food and non-alcoholic drinks when eating in a restaurant etc, for accommodation and for attractions. And only then if the business registers for the scheme - which sounded rather complicated to implement.

The end result may be that fast-food outlets may sell meal deals cheaper. As they have been closed for the last three months and people have been walking and taking exercise, the average health of the nation has probably improved. This will not be the result the government intended!

Furthermore, the "tossers" who throw their waste in public places rather than bin-it will now buy their rubbish cheaper.
Plus there's some odd incentive involving half-price daytime meals on some weekdays. Again the establishment has to register (could be painful), and then resist customers trying to fiddle the system....
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold

I'm hoping for a take-up by the types of restaurants which used to participate in the FT's Lunch for a Fiver programme - bringing back a superb value set menu at lunchtime and taking advantage of those of us working from home.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
But if you are working from home you will have to go out for a sit-in lunch.

I have set out in a post on another thread some of the issues, and how people may be encouraged to game the system [as per Ian-UK above]!
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32523488-post49.html
Old Jul 16, 2020, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if you are working from home you will have to go out for a sit-in lunch.
Which would be precisely the point, and would absolutely sit with the incentives provided by HMG and the restaurant.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Which would be precisely the point, and would absolutely sit with the incentives provided by HMG and the restaurant.
The restaurant would probably be perfectly happy with a take-away or Deliveroo order.

Which is where some jiggery pokery will probably creep in.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The restaurant would probably be perfectly happy with a take-away or Deliveroo order.
Perhaps the restaurant would be happy with a take-away, but I wouldn't. I actually want to eat in a restaurant, mad as that may seem, as I don't like take-away food, or ready meals for that matter.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:29 am

the VAT cut has not covered as many items as people hopped for
Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NickSabev
the VAT cut has not covered as many items as people hopped for
Let's hope that people are not looking for a VAT cut on hopped alcohol drinks
lhrsfo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.