UK passport renewal - get old one back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)

Just received my renewed UK passport, but didn't receive the old one back. Couldn't see any info about this on the gov.uk website. Has anyone renewed theirs in the recent past and did you get your old one back?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I’ve got a vague feeling it comes in a separate mailing, but it has been a few years for me - sorry - definitely got old one back with the corner cut off though.
User Name likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Renewed mine at the end of 2018 and got the old one back, came separately as stated above.
User Name likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Likewise my old passport came back separately ( with corners cut off) for a renewal last year).

Regards

TBS
User Name likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Ah, but maybe the old EU ones won't be returned lest they trigger a sense of nostalgia in those who didn't have the sense of nostalgia for the old blue-black ones.
User Name likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I know the last poster is joking but a previous passport will be returned to it's holder except in specific circumstances

A passport could contain for example a visa that has not expired so would want to be retained by the passport holder.

As to returning of documents / previous passports these are sent out separatly from the new passport usually by 2nd class post.
User Name likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Thanks everyone. I live in Singapore and the passport was sent here by courier. I couldn't believe they'd willingly go to the expense of sending them so far separately, but seems they do. I received my renewal 2 days ago and now just had a DHL shipment notification, which I assume must be the old one.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by User Name
Thanks everyone. I live in Singapore and the passport was sent here by courier. I couldn't believe they'd willingly go to the expense of sending them so far separately, but seems they do. I received my renewal 2 days ago and now just had a DHL shipment notification, which I assume must be the old one.
I guess they don’t come from the same place - your old passport (plus any paperwork which people sometimes need to submit) will presumably have been processed in an office somewhere - your new one is probably sent straight from the printers.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by User Name
I couldn't believe they'd willingly go to the expense of sending them so far separately, but seems they do.
First - DHL (or whatever HMPO is using) has a nice contract. So the shipping cost is definitely cheaper than you think.

Second - this is an overseas application. So the total price includes additional shipping, consistent with former FCO pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.