Wiki Posts
Search

UK 'to bring in 14-day quarantine' for air passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 7:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

UK 'to bring in 14-day quarantine' for air passengers

UK 'to bring in 14-day quarantine' for air passengers. What do you think about this?

Flanner, I listened to the speech, and Boris did hint at a quarantine. Quoting from the BBC News app:
”The PM also said he was "serving notice" that it would soon be the time to impose a quarantine on people coming into the country by air.”
Old May 11, 2020, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AliceLong
What do you think about this?
Old May 11, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Well and truly leaked in the week coming up to the announcement, including some quotes from Pritti Patel, so it cannot have come as a surprise, even if BA (who are not playing a straight hand at the moment) claim to have been blind-sided.

The more interesting question is whether the Home Office would have the slightest idea of how to enforce it.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:29 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The more interesting question is whether the Home Office would have the slightest idea of how to enforce it.
Yes, and in addition arrivals from France would probably be exempted. Maybe someone should point out to the Home Office that (although quite a few internal borders are sort of restricted), there is something called 'Schengen Area' out there.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, and in addition arrivals from France would probably be exempted. Maybe someone should point out to the Home Office that (although quite a few internal borders are sort of restricted), there is something called 'Schengen Area' out there.
It now seems that, if it does happen, France won't be exempted. But Ireland will be (under the CTA arrangements) so that will be a back door in.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:42 pm

The Republic of Ireland will (likely) have its own 14-day quarantine - I don’t know enough about the Common Travel Area to know whether the quarantine in either country would supersede that or not though.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
The Republic of Ireland will (likely) have its own 14-day quarantine - I don’t know enough about the Common Travel Area to know whether the quarantine in either country would supersede that or not though.
It already does
Old May 22, 2020, 10:45 am

I’m a UK Citizen who lives outside the UK... and I like to visit the UK for a few days at a time: 3 days, 2 days, 4 days. I’ve got a place I can quarantine easily - and that was actually my plan for my next trip. From airport, the my place of quarantine - stay in that place for 3 days - and then head back to the airport (I’ll have no need to leave the house, other than to go to/from the airport!). I’m not going to be in the exemptions list of critical workers. In those circumstance, I presume that I would be breaking the rules if I travelled back to the airport to head ‘home’ after Day 3... rather than after Day 14. If I got a call on Day 5, Day 8, Day 10... I’d be breaking my quarantine as I’d have left the UK!

I’ll keep looking at the guidance when it is published in more detail - to see if there is anything pertaining this this type of circumstance, but I doubt it.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:10 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
other than to go to/from the airport!
The devil, as always, will be in the detail, but this could be a key sticking point in your plan.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I like to visit the UK for a few days at a time: 3 days, 2 days, 4 days… I’ll keep looking at the guidance when it is published in more detail - to see if there is anything pertaining this this type of circumstance, but I doubt it.
Same. If I cannot get back before the required quarantine begins, then I would be happy to return during quarantine for a few days, stay at home the entire time, and then leave the UK again. Presumably there will be a way to let the quarantine-checkers know that you have left the UK.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
I’m a UK Citizen who lives outside the UK... and I like to visit the UK for a few days at a time: 3 days, 2 days, 4 days. I’ve got a place I can quarantine easily - and that was actually my plan for my next trip. From airport, the my place of quarantine - stay in that place for 3 days - and then head back to the airport (I’ll have no need to leave the house, other than to go to/from the airport!). I’m not going to be in the exemptions list of critical workers. In those circumstance, I presume that I would be breaking the rules if I travelled back to the airport to head ‘home’ after Day 3... rather than after Day 14. If I got a call on Day 5, Day 8, Day 10... I’d be breaking my quarantine as I’d have left the UK!

I’ll keep looking at the guidance when it is published in more detail - to see if there is anything pertaining this this type of circumstance, but I doubt it.
The exemption list has been published, could the very last bullet point apply in any way to you?? In a roundabout way?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules
Old May 22, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Same. If I cannot get back before the required quarantine begins, then I would be happy to return during quarantine for a few days, stay at home the entire time, and then leave the UK again. Presumably there will be a way to let the quarantine-checkers know that you have left the UK.
If you don’t mind me asking - what would be the point of such a visit? If you spend your whole time in the U.K. in quarantine, i.e. not seeing anyone you didn’t arrive with, then is it really worth the hassle? If it’s just a case of keeping your UK property ticking over, can someone else not pop in?
Old May 22, 2020, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
If you don’t mind me asking - what would be the point of such a visit? If you spend your whole time in the U.K. in quarantine, i.e. not seeing anyone you didn’t arrive with, then is it really worth the hassle? If it’s just a case of keeping your UK property ticking over, can someone else not pop in?
This is a fair point In my case, there are two factors (amongst others - but these are the core factors):
1) I like to look out over the sea! Much nicer than my current view (looking out onto a road)
2) I also can get deliveries of goods to that home address (generally foods and drinks) that are very expensive to ship to the USA - and take them back in a few suitcases (I was looking to get some some sent to the USA the other day - the cost of shipping is more than I paid for the flights!)

Suffice-to-say: absolutely non-essential.
Scots_Al likes this.

Last edited by Simon Schus; May 22, 2020 at 3:52 pm Reason: Clarification
Old May 22, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!
Old May 22, 2020, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!
Of course - if you can find a cost-effective way of sending large quantities of decent-sized irn bru bottles and Fondant Fancies to the USA for personal consumption then you can consider the debt repaid
Scots_Al likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.