Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

When are UK hotels scheduled to reopen to the public?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver

Are UK hotels closed until further notice or are they scheduled to reopen on a specific date? I have seen 14th April and 1st May mentioned on some hotel websites but wasn't sure if these dates were confirmed or provisional subject to Government restrictions being lifted? I know some hotels are currently accepting bookings from key workers who need to provide ID.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
any dates will be subject to change based on the government extending restrictions

If you look around other countries you will see the dates are shortish initially and extended several times.

My gut feeling, based on where italy is at the moment and how far behind Italy the UK is, it will be late May or early June before confirmed infection rates have fallen sufficiently for a relaxation of the current rules
farci, Scots_Al and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may also see that some chains or other organizations which own multiple properties in a given location, will not reopen all properties initially. When government prohibitions are lifted, the question of consumer demand then arises. That may well be low for a good 18-24 months and it may well be that not all properties reopen.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
You may also see that some chains or other organizations which own multiple properties in a given location, will not reopen all properties initially. When government prohibitions are lifted, the question of consumer demand then arises. That may well be low for a good 18-24 months and it may well be that not all properties reopen.
Indeed. Even when the strictest of measures are lifted, we can still expect a gradual lifting of others, meaning many people still unlikely to be travelling for quite some time. I wouldn’t make plans for this side of summer, and would be wary of a second wave in autumn / winter.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Are UK hotels closed until further notice or are they scheduled to reopen on a specific date? I have seen 14th April and 1st May mentioned on some hotel websites but wasn't sure if these dates were confirmed or provisional subject to Government restrictions being lifted? I know some hotels are currently accepting bookings from key workers who need to provide ID.
14th April is the day after the current 3-week 'lock-down' period ends. You can (IMO) 100% guarantee that restrictions will be extended well beyond that date.

After official restrictions are eased hotels will make commercial and strategic decisions on a location by location basis. Even when we are long past peak infection, there are, for example, likely to be hundreds of patients in Excel 'Nightingale' so most if not all of that row of hotels nearby (Hampton, Travelodge, Moxy, etc.) could remain closed to all bar NHS workers for some considerable time.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s all a guessing game but the consensus, currently, seems to be end May for a partial return to normal. But I suspect travel may be restricted beyond that.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
My company is, similarly, looking at a two month furlough. My personal feeling is that is going to be closer to September, with a good deal of caution.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: IC Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, HH Diamond
I was supposed to travel in the UK in the beginning of May and have already been contacted by nearly all hotels that they will be closed until at least May 31th.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is the UK lock down supposed to end tomorrow or has it been extended?

I"m scheduled to be there the last weekend of May. Will anything be open? Guess things are too fluid to tell. 6 weeks ahead is a lifetime with this crazy virus.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
We'll know this week. It is due to be reviewed this Thursday, but the signs are that it will be extended, for how long no-one knows.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
It is to be extended. Whilst the date has not been announced, it was said at the govt briefing today that although the deaths numbers may soon "plateau" that it was not expected to fall for at least two weeks after that.

My estimate therefore is no sooner than three weeks before we get any more guidance and a few weeks after that before we start to see lifting of lockdown.

ETA: The French govt has just extended their lockdown to 11 May and we are about a week after them.
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by antichef; Apr 13, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We certainly won’t exit before France - otherwise Johnson will get another stroppy call from Macron! Some relaxation mid/end May looks feasible but can’t imagine it will be much more than schools and businesses. Leisure, restaurants, pubs seem less likely.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Apr 13, 2020 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
We certainly won’t exit before France - otherwise Johnson will get another stroppy call from Macron!
What an oddly Anglo-centric way of putting it!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
What an oddly Anglo-centric way of putting it!
is it? I was referencing the alleged conversation on the 20th when Macron is supposed to have threatened a closure of the Channel ports and tunnel unless the U.K. took steps.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is the UK supposed to hit their C19 apex this week? You have much more restrictive stay in shelter rules than here. My mom can't even drive across Kent to see her daughter, her neighbors or friends. No drive thru's are open either. Wow.

I moved fly LHR flight back to the last week of June from the last week of May. I hope restrictions will be lifted by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.