Search

Traveling with prescription medication the UK/Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stc
You will probably have immigration in both DUB and EDI. I know that flying BOS-LHR-DUB, I had immigration in both LHR at DUB (and also flying DUB-LHR-BOS, I had immigration at LHR.) Of course if you are flying after 10/31 you are more likely to have immigration in both.
Nothing is changing with regards to the placement of immigration controls in any UK, Irish or Schengen airport whether or not the UK leaves the EU in 3 weeks.

Also, there is no way you should have had to pass immigration at LHR when flying DUB-LHR-BOS, unless someone screwed up.

Last edited by :D!; Oct 11, 2019 at 12:41 pm
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:27 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by stc
I'm calling it like I literally see it almost every time I go through LHR.
Well, I’ll just say that are a fairly large number of UK residents posting here who travel through Heathrow a reasonable amount, and they don’t seem to feel the same. I’m absolutely confident the OP will not encounter a problem, in spite of your I’m sure well-intentioned concerns.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
I made through without seeing any customs officers at either DUB or EDI. And to confirm, I did UK immigration through the Irish authorities. Landed in EDI from DUB without extra checks. I made it!
Earthman likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:21 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Nayef
I made through without seeing any customs officers at either DUB or EDI. And to confirm, I did UK immigration through the Irish authorities. Landed in EDI from DUB without extra checks. I made it!
Glad you made it without any problems!
Earthman, ajGoes and Nayef like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nayef
Good to hear
But technically,you only did Irish immigration and at that point you entered the common travel area
In theory you are supposed to find UK immigration yourself after that but who does,unless you are subject to spot checks
If you left the UK for another EU country,you’ll do immigration again there
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Earthman
Good to hear
But technically,you only did Irish immigration and at that point you entered the common travel area
In theory you are supposed to find UK immigration yourself after that but who does,unless you are subject to spot checks
Someone who is entering the UK for the first time on a settlement type visa should definitely try to find a UKBF officer, but it would be better if they just entered the UK not via Ireland.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Earthman
Good to hear
AIUI, an individual who enters the UK from Ireland and has a valid visitor visa for the UK is exempt from the need to obtain leave to enter in the UK and therefore does not need to see an immigration officer on entering the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.