Wiki Posts
Search

Question about revisiting U.K.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Question about revisiting U.K.

Hello!

I stayed in the UK for 6 months and have since returned to the US for 2 months and will attempt to go back next month. With UK’s new egate system for expedited entry, do you assume I will have an issue getting back in when using it?

I know that that if I had to speak with a border agent, I’d have to give them a really great reason for coming back since it would be too short a time for returning but with going through an egate, I’m assuming I should be fine?

If anyone has any experience with this (or if you simply have any thoughts on it) please let me know.

Thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:19 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Hello @USUK,

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

UK immigration controls and ePassport Gates are generally discussed in the U.K. and Ireland forum. Please follow this thread as it moves there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:55 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If UKBF wish to question you further about your intentions in the UK, they will be able to do so.

There is no set period which is "too short" for you to be out of the UK, but you are of course correct that if you happen to be questioned, you will need to satisfy them that you are a genuine visitor.
USUK likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply here.
If going through an egate however, would there be any information on my passport that shows when I left if it is just being scanned?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:29 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The airline will transmit your data to the UK Border authorities prior to your flight, so if there’s an issue they’ll be looking out for you coming through - they probably know more about you than you know about yourself!

Whilst your last stay period was unusually long for a visitor, two months is a decent period between and I wouldn’t think it would ring too many alarm bells. The immigration authorities are more likely to be looking for someone who left a day or two before their expiry time and tried to return within a few days.
USUK likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by USUK
If going through an egate however, would there be any information on my passport that shows when I left if it is just being scanned?
Hi,

I do not think that there will be any information on the passport itself but the airlines might well have to give pax info electronically to the UK govt prior to arrival ( like what airlines do to the US govt when inbound to the USA) but not sure of the process.

Regards

TBS
USUK likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I really appreciate your response. Thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The airline will transmit your data to the UK Border authorities prior to your flight, so if there’s an issue they’ll be looking out for you coming through - they probably know more about you than you know about yourself!

Whilst your last stay period was unusually long for a visitor, two months is a decent period between and I wouldn’t think it would ring too many alarm bells. The immigration authorities are more likely to be looking for someone who left a day or two before their expiry time and tried to return within a few days.

thank you for your help!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I know that that if I had to speak with a border agent, I’d have to give them a really great reason for coming back since it would be too short a time for returning but with going through an egate, I’m assuming I should be fine?
And the really great reason for returning as a tourist after 2 months is:-working, student, romantic interest or other undisclosed?
Ticket back to USA after X weeks? Funds to sustain you while in UK?
UKBF will have computer records of all your entry's to UK, and possibly info from airlines when you left and more.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
How did you depart the UK? By air or by Eurostar, the airline or Eurostar will certainly have scanned your passport and transmitted this data to UKBF, so they will be aware of when you left (assuming the UKBF's IT system is now working well - it did have many problems in the past)

If by some other means I am not sure how rigorous the checks are. Ferry and coach companies are supposed to record passport details in the same way, but the last time I left the UK by ferry only a plain-clothes policeman rifled through the pages of my passport but did nothing else. There are other ways to leave the UK immigration area, for example via Ireland or Jersey, where data may not automatically or immediately be sent to UKBF.

If you have multiple passports, they may not know the holder is the same person, although you should assume they are aware unless you are some sort of foreign agent who knows something to the contrary.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

I stayed in the UK for 6 months and have since returned to the US for 2 months and will attempt to go back next month. With UK’s new egate system for expedited entry, do you assume I will have an issue getting back in when using it?

I know that that if I had to speak with a border agent, I’d have to give them a really great reason for coming back since it would be too short a time for returning but with going through an egate, I’m assuming I should be fine?
I guess the crux of the matter is, if you do get stopped what is your reason for coming back after such an extended stay before and a relatively short time out of the country? I have a friend that "lives" in the US (rented a condo, utilities, car etc) but flies out every 3 months on his non-US passport. As he's in film and television, he just says he's going to see someone or something etc when he gets asked by incoming US border staff. Been doing it for years apparently. No probs by the US border team. They buy his excuse. Do you have a suitable reason if you get stopped? There is nothing wrong in doing so, but the border officials may just want to ensure you're not planning on being an overstayer, or coming back to some form of paid employment. They will probably ask how long you intended to stay this time, what you intend to do and do you have funds to support yourself. I don't think this trip would raise many alarms, but if you were to do it regularly then it may trigger a warning, regardless if you use the e-gates or go through the h-gates (h for human!).

Good luck and let us know the outcome. I'd bet nothing happens and no one asks you anything.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If what you have said is true there will be zero issue getting back in. Is there anything else we should know about?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:31 pm

Hello! I stayed in the UK for 6 months and have since returned to the US for 2 months and will attempt to go back next month. With UK’s new egate system for expedited entry, do you assume I will have an issue getting back in when using it? I know that that if I had to speak with a border agent, I’d have to give them a really great reason for coming back since it would be too short a time for returning but with going through an egate, I’m assuming I should be fine?If anyone has any experience with this (or if you simply have any thoughts on it) please let me know.Thank you!
I really cannot see why you would encounter an issue at an e-gate. Only the Border Officer can actually think about these potential issues and make a judgement on your intentions. Based on what you have stated here you may very well have to give a good explanation if you are actually spoken to and do not possess an actual visa. Your use of the word 'attempt' is highly indicative if I may be so bold

Last edited by Custardthecat; Dec 23, 2022 at 10:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.