Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jump in fares to South Africa from London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Jump in fares to South Africa from London

I January I booked two Club Class returns to JHB from LHR leaving 29th October 2019 for the sum of £3628.44.

I am currently looking at the same destination for next year and am getting quotes of £7000+!! Not much difference trying different times of year and even the cheaper options like flying via Dubai still come in at over £5,000

Can someone tell me why the prices have doubled? I cannot fathom why unless it is airlines pre-empting Brexit!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Nothing to do with Brexit but demand

by club I assume you are flying BA and they had a sale last January so likely cause of cheap flights.

otherwise it’s a case of supply and demand.

and what dates are you looking at? Some times of the year are just more expansive such as U.K. school holidays or big sporting events.

If your dates have just been released by the airlines they they don’t always release the cheaper fare buckets immediately

Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Nothing to do with Brexit but demand
Supply as well. SAA, among others, recently reduced/eliminated services from both the UK and the continent.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA also reduced capacity recently.

You may wish to look at fares starting in Amsterdam...
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This should really be in the Africa Destinations bit of the Forum.

I agree you are seeing 'normal' pricing for J for direct flights LON-JNB. If you are booking for 2 pax, make sure you search for 2 pax. Both KLM/Air France and Qatar have 2 pax offers at the moment; KLM/Air France from LON via AMS and CDG; Qatar from SOF, OSL or ARN.

Travelling alone AMS with BA is the best J I have seen for the last ~3 months except a flash sale to DUR. You have plenty of time if booking for next year so I would keep a keen eye out for a sale you are happy with (which depends if you want the direct LON flight or are happy with ex-EU).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.