• Friday, July 26
  • Saturday, July 27
  • Monday, August 5
  • Tuesday, August 6
  • Friday, August 23
  • Saturday, August 24
London airports to be hit by series of strikes during summer
The Guardian, Friday 12 July 2019 - link
Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick face walkouts although officials say contingency plans will minimise disruption

Security guards, passenger service agents, passenger service drivers and engineers / mechanics are expected to strike.

This week British Airways and Ryanair warned that as well as possible airport worker strikes, holiday flights could again be disrupted by air traffic bottlenecks, staff shortages and controller strikes.

BA’s flights could be disrupted by strikes in August: the result of a pilots’ ballot is due on 22 July. Two days of talks at Acas between BA and the pilots’ union, Balpa, over a three-year 11% pay deal broke down without agreement this week.

Stansted check-in staff on Thursday announced 17 days of strikes, and Gatwick workers are also being balloted for summer strike action.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:42 pm

We're booked on an AA flight from PHL to LHR, leaving on Saturday July 27 (a strike day at LHR) and due in London on Sunday July 28 (not a scheduled strike day.) Assuming the strike goes ahead, does anyone have experience/insight as to whether this will have an impact on morning landings at LHR on July 28th? Does the strike increase the chances of having the flight cancelled?

Just to double the trouble, we're booked on a return flight on AA from LHR to PHL on Saturday morning, August 24th. I suppose we'll have the two previous strike weekends as a guide, but, again, any insights about what this would mean in practice? Just to be safe, I've booked a cancellable reservation at the new Hilton Garden Terminal 2 for the night of August 24th, and can cancel up through midnight on August 23rd.

For the return flight, I'm thinking about asking proactively to be rescheduled for the next day, but I'm not sure if AA will entertain changes without fee this far ahead.

Thanks for anything you may know (or expect) about this. Obviously these are both heavy travel weekends.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's anyone's guess at the moment. Management has said that it has capacity to avoid disruption, but clearly if there is such capacity, it's not going to be totally effective, otherwise why employ the striking workers in the first place? My guess, which is no better than yours, is that BA will go into semi-meltdown and most of the other airlines will operate with delays, whilst the common areas of the airport will be very crowded.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Any experience, from past short term strikes, about when (or if) airlines will start allowing no-fee changes in flight dates? AA experience would be particularly relevant for me.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
BA has said that HAL has a contingency in place and it won’t affect operations but email from HAL saying bookings of all premium services on the strike dates are no longer being accepted and that only normal security available to all passengers will be guaranteed. I am assuming this means that there will be no Fast Track provision potentially including the First Wing.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Security workers at Gatwick Airport are to strike for 48 hours this summer in a dispute over pay.

Employees who scan passengers' luggage will walk out at 6am on 10 August 2019 in a move anticipated to "cause travel disruption", Unite said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-49196585

Anyone on here got more information? Unfortunately I am due to fly from LGW with BA on 11 August so look like being caught up in this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:48 pm

Virgin has posted an alert on its website saying that it may be moving some arrivals/departures from Heathrow to Gatwick.

On 5 August:
* VS104 (ATL), VS138 (JFK) , VS154 (JFK), and VS138 (BOS) may arrive into Gatwick.
* VS1 (EWR), VS3 (JFK), VS153 (JFK), and VS157 (BOS) may depart from Gatwick.

On 6 August:
* VS2 (EWR), VS4 (JFK), VS138 (JFK), and VS158 (BOS) may arrive into Gatwick.
* VS1 (EWR), VS3 (JFK), VS153 (JFK), and VS157 (BOS) may depart from Gatwick.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Strike off -https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49241306 - 6 august

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.