Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

INV airport: Where to stay, which taxi? 0705 BA first flight of day advice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Have a 0705 departure from Inverness (INV). Flying into INV the day before so need one night of not fancy accommodation.
I've been staring at maps, at travel sites, at pixels on my screen that just seem to be growing in scale.
And I can't work out what to do. Where to stay? City centre, or go remote nearer by on the cheap? Which taxi to book for the 0530 arrival?
Newb for this city, so advice appreciated!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
deleted
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Penta Hotel is OK in the town centre, as is the brand new Travelodge. There is also a Mercure Hotel which is OK and a couple of Premier Inns. A Courtyard by Marriott airport hotel is being built but won't open until October.

Jurys Inn is just a bit outside the city centre on main road to airport.

As far as taxis go, I just asked the hotel to book one and that was for a 430am pick up and had no issues. There is also an early morning bus that gets to the airport for 6am.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Not sure when you are travelling, but if it is outside the main tourist season, you can normally pick up a hotel stay on itison for a reasonable amount. We have used this type of deal 3 or 4 times now and are yet to be disappointed. Last time was at the Mercure, which is a town centre hotel, with the bus station only a 5 minute walk away.
interesting to hear about airport hotel opening soon.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'm doing the same thing in August and learned a couple of things. First, INV is a growing but still extremely small airport. Baggage and security are both apparently easy to traverse. You should be able to arrive at the airport by 6 a.m. and make the flight. Take a look at this thread I started with more information about INV: Logistics at Inverness Airport.

Although I mentioned that I'd likely stay at the HIX Inverness in that thread, I actually booked dorm accommodations between the city center and the airport: https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/cit...66a;type=total. Looks clean and simple for one night. I've used dorm accommodations in EDI and St. Andrews. Not luxurious, but with an en-suite bathroom, perfect for a one-night stay. I've driven in the area before and figure I'll only be about 15-20 minutes from the airport. Cost is about a third of the INV HIX.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Jul 13, 2019 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
I thoroughly recommend The Star Inn at Ardersier. Closest to the airport.
They have a shuttle bus. Give them a call
Sealink likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I use the Premier Inn - there are a couple in town. Cheap and comfortable for a single night. The Marriott will be veey helpful when it opens soon.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I really disliked the Penta Hotel and would not stay there again. I booked because it seemed a convenient option as I was arriving by train and leaving the following morning from the airport, and just wanted a cheap-ish place for the night. It was an easy trip to INV (about £20 or so, if I remember properly), but the bed was very uncomfortable-- the sheets were extremely pilled and just unpleasant. Also, I was made to wait quite a while for check-in for a specific room, and that room hadn't been cleaned when I arrived. I had not requested anything special and had booked via the hotel's own website, but the front desk person said there was some indication that he could not move to another one. So that was weird and a bit irritating.

Aesthetically it was that annoying hipster-y / trying to be like a W hotel circa 2003 but just kind of crummy. But my primary objection was the horrible quality of the sheets. (And I'm not expecting Frette at a place of this level; for one night, I'm fine with the bedding one gets at the average Ibis. These were just pilled and should have been tossed many washings ago.)

Penta Inverness -- sorry for the lousy lighting

Ooh, it's got the surface appearance of a cool boutique hotel! Swanky! /s
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks for all the replies here. I've been busy so hadn't had time to check this over.

The Premier Inn option might be a good shout as it's a mere £33-52. Obviously plus taxis both ways, but that'll still be less than many of the others.

I'll be there late October. Having never been I'd like to be in the city centre for a pint and a sandwich or something - casual pubs for solo (English) travellers welcome! Happy to take the 18min taxi time in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.