Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane to Train at Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Re Thameslink from Gatwick to St Pancras - yes, using a contactless card (or contactless payment device) it's as simple as that - see this video (though only the first 30 seconds are really relevant for you).

At Euston you'll likely have to show your ticket (in whatever format it may be) before you can access the platform, as well as later showing it to the 'train manager' on board when they come round to check tickets.
Sounds good. I can't wait til Amtrak gets in to the 20th Century (I know, it's the 21st, but...one century at a time&#128516
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The trains from Gatwick to St Pancras are middle-distance commuter trains, so just sit where you like. If you want a little extra comfort, the rearmost first class compartment is currently declassified (only on the Thameslink trains!) - this will be confirmed on the display in this compartment (among many other messages). Note that these will have destinations beyond London, mostly Bedford and Cambridge (with some slower ones going to Peterborough).

The walking route from St Pancras to Euston is signposted - when you come up from the Thameslink platforms, you turn right, cross over the road, head round the back of the Crick Institute and you're 5 minutes away.

Around Euston, the attractions aren't immediately obvious, but the British Library is excellent (the copy of the Magna Carta alone is worth it) as is the Wellcome Collection. You may also want to spend time around St Pancras, which is a magnificent building (Euston, sadly, is a far more functional station) and the canal area behind there and King's Cross which has recently been opened up and rebuilt. Some good lunch options round here too, with a street food market, some canalside pubs, and the excellent Dishoom. You can walk along the canal as far as Camden Lock very easily.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Daveholman
I chose seat B10...window, left side, facing fwd with a power point. I assume the coastal side should have the best scenery.
The line between Euston and Glasgow doesnt ever get particularly near the coast, and theres not much by way of scenery until you hit the far north of England unfortunately.
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

The line between Euston and Glasgow doesn’t ever get particularly near the coast, and there’s not much by way of scenery until you hit the far north of England unfortunately.
Indeed - for scenery you want the East Coast line, but that's the long(er) way to Glasgow.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:00 pm

In the interests of pedantry.... The west coast line doesn't follow the coast for miles (which the east coast line does), but it does gets very near the sea - albeit briefly. At Hest Bank (just north of Lancaster) the line is barely 200 metres from high water mark. It is also close to the coast between Carlisle and Gretna.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
In the interests of pedantry.... The west coast line doesn't follow the coast for miles (which the east coast line does), but it does gets very near the sea - albeit briefly. At Hest Bank (just north of Lancaster) the line is barely 200 metres from high water mark. It is also close to the coast between Carlisle and Gretna.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Indeed - for scenery you want the East Coast line, but that's the long(er) way to Glasgow.
I am planning to do the east coast return, as I'll have more time.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Daveholman
I am planning to do the east coast return, as I'll have more time.
The coastline between Edinburgh and Newcastle is stunning. Make sure you have a window seat for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.