Wiki Posts
Search

Why LHR terminal 3 is the worst

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec club
Why LHR terminal 3 is the worst

So you happen to flight to Portugal and BA places you on T3 and you find the following:
- at least 35 minutes even if you have fastrack
- lounges full (been testing times on BA/priority pass)

honestly is the third world terminal of Heathrow, on T5 all works wonders.... is like Atalanta without the Sky lounge
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Ukeurotraveller
- at least 35 minutes even if you have fastrack
I assume you're referring to BA conformance here? In which case, I don't believe that applies to T3.

As for lounges, which lounges are you referring to? There are quite a few.
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
The champagne in the CX lounges has always tasted rather first world to me.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
The CX lounge at T3 is the best lounge at LHR, so . . .
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I rather like T3. Don’t recognise your gripes.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I assume you're referring to BA conformance here? In which case, I don't believe that applies to T3.

As for lounges, which lounges are you referring to? There are quite a few.
Yes, T3 does not have conformance so I have no idea what the OP is referring to? You can arrive at security less than 35 minutes before your flight at T3.

It's a slightly odd to see a post on FT where the general oneworld lounge provision in T3 is ranked below T5!
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Another vote for BA flights from T3 having the bonus of the CX lounge. If there is a bit of a hold up at security just think of what awaits you ahead.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Agree with above; I rather like it these days when I get a T3 flight.

T3 used to be a complete hole, though, especially for those without status. Low ceilings, dark and crowded. None of that seems to be the substance of the complaint though!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

T3 used to be a complete hole, though, especially for those without status. Low ceilings, dark and crowded. None of that seems to be the substance of the complaint though!
Being a *A flyer principally, T3 was a complete hole and life has improved enormously since the move to T2 some years ago. But when I fly OW, T3 is great compared with T5. Almost everything is better - it's one Tube stop closer with more trains on the return (although the Tube connection isn't great), security seems much less of a zoo, the CX lounge is very good (nearly up to T2 standards) and far better than the hell-holes in T5, and, although it's crowded, the passenger flows just seem better designed than in T5.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I don't mind T3 too much. As a non-status passenger most of the time, it's rather like waiting around in an upmarket shopping centre where I don't want to buy anything. But there's normally a quiet spot near the A380 gates.

In my mind, at least it's not the old T2, which still appears in my mind whenever I think of Heathrow. Especially the post-9/11 tensabarrier farce at the gates. And a minuscule LH Senator lounge with its one-way door through to Business.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I suspect the OP meant it took them 35 minutes to get through security, and they assumed that they only had access into the BA lounge. (It seems rather common for some people to think this, even though entry into all OW lounges was the first rule I learned about when I started looking into FFPs...)

Fast track security at T3 can be very slow at times, particularly if only one of the two lanes is in operation, and passengers ahead of you in the queue have decided for themselves that only one person can unpack their belongings at a time, even though there is enough space for two people. Furthermore, it seems to be forbidden to even open your bag until you get to the front of the queue, and you must also act surprised that you actually need to take certain things out. (At non-peak times, this doesn't really slow the process down, but when there are 20 people lining up it has a bigger impact.)
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.