Search

Lost Passport Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Lost Passport Question

Hi all

i have a question, I am off to Vegas for a work conference on Sunday 5th May. A friend of mine is coming with me. They’ve gone to apply for their ESTA and realised their parent has misplaced their passport in an incredibly safe place no one knows where it is.

Now due to limited time before departure, do the passport office still do same day appointments in London? Online it says only for renewals? Is this true?

Thanks
privatepilot
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
This may be the answer - https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-ur...remium-service
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:13 pm

I believe the fastest service you can use for lost passports is the one week service. At least thats what we were told recently when we thought Mr W had lost his.
​​​
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm afraid that if you don't have the original then it's a minimum of a week. Speaking from experience.

Keep looking!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
In the USA (I know OP is in UL) most congressional and senate offices have a person(s) that handles 'constituent services'. So your local elected offices can help you when it comes to emergencies/problems with federal services. Nowhere will you find advice or websites saying 'one day' or 'same day' services. Yet.... if you have a bonafide emergency (lost passport is one) they can sometimes work magic. A senate staffer takes control of your case; reaches out to Dept of State... "Show up tomorrow at 9AM, they will have it done by 3PM". That sort of thing

So I wonder if the same thing might exist in the UK?

Just saying.....good luck!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No not really in the case of a lost passport which could be seen as been a self inflicted problem.

MPs do have access to a special line to HMPO and would help if there was an actual emergency involved but a work trip isn't an emergency in most cases. But unfortunately the line was a abused a couple of years a go when there was a large backlog and HMPO tightened up the rules on what they would do when contacted by MPs

And a lost passport is not the same as a renewal and has some different procedures and take longer.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Back in the day if you applied in Person at the passport office for replacing a lost passport they would upsell the same day service to you. Now the fastest service is the one week service though as a data point mine was issued within 24 hours then sent by DX couriers arriving 2 days later.

Looking online the first appointments for London are 7th May though Belfast, Liverpool and other offices have earlier appointments.

Totally unrelated its likely you you will get a Brexit passport. It’s still red but doesn’t have European Union on the front cover at the top.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, guess they will have to keep looking...

Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Somebody on here had the same issue a while back (it may have actually been on the BA forum). They took a chance and booked a same day appointment as if they were renewing their passport. Then played dumb... and got away with it.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Hi all

i have a question, I am off to Vegas for a work conference on Sunday 5th May. A friend of mine is coming with me. They’ve gone to apply for their ESTA and realised their parent has misplaced their passport in an incredibly safe place no one knows where it is.

Now due to limited time before departure, do the passport office still do same day appointments in London? Online it says only for renewals? Is this true?

Thanks
privatepilot
I can't comment on the replacement, but in terms of finding the passport, is it really with the parents? My baby brother had a similar situation, had a flat in London, but most things, including passport were (supposedly) at home with the parents. Prior to a work trip (I want to say day before) he rocked up to pick up his passport, only to find it not in the desk (passports live in a very specific place in my mother's antique desk). Cue tearing the place apart, much swearing and blaming. Ended with my mother driving him to his London flat (several hours away) and in about 5 minutes locating the passport in the flat.

If he (I am making assumptions here clearly) lives with his parents, then that limits where it could be. But popular places for them turning up is inside old travel / handbag / laptop bags (especially inner pockets), inside envelopes / plastic wallets containing travel documents or other documents where you may have used the passport as proof of identity (new bank account, driving licence application etc), fallen down the back of an overflowing drawer, inside another document (e.g. all the family passports stacked together), near the washing machine (as you empty out your travel bag after a trip), in filing cabinets, underneath or near a computer keyboard (when you enter the passport number in an online booking), or inside jacket pockets of coats you rarely wear. Things are rarely lost, lost, more misplaced, so have your friend and parents be very systematical in their search and it will probably turn up.
Tocsin likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
I can't comment on the replacement, but in terms of finding the passport, is it really with the parents? My baby brother had a similar situation, had a flat in London, but most things, including passport were (supposedly) at home with the parents. Prior to a work trip (I want to say day before) he rocked up to pick up his passport, only to find it not in the desk (passports live in a very specific place in my mother's antique desk). Cue tearing the place apart, much swearing and blaming. Ended with my mother driving him to his London flat (several hours away) and in about 5 minutes locating the passport in the flat.

If he (I am making assumptions here clearly) lives with his parents, then that limits where it could be. But popular places for them turning up is inside old travel / handbag / laptop bags (especially inner pockets), inside envelopes / plastic wallets containing travel documents or other documents where you may have used the passport as proof of identity (new bank account, driving licence application etc), fallen down the back of an overflowing drawer, inside another document (e.g. all the family passports stacked together), near the washing machine (as you empty out your travel bag after a trip), in filing cabinets, underneath or near a computer keyboard (when you enter the passport number in an online booking), or inside jacket pockets of coats you rarely wear. Things are rarely lost, lost, more misplaced, so have your friend and parents be very systematical in their search and it will probably turn up.
So the passport was last seen when we came back from skiing in Verbier (Highly recommend Verbier ski area and also the W Verbier) and was left on the side as they needed the passport the next day for something at work. The passport was then moved by their mum and put in a safe place as her mum thought she would lose the passport by leaving it where it was. However, this safe place was too safe and a few months on they could not remember where she had put it. However, they have since found the passport. I live with my parents, however, I have made it clear to them that I am responsible for MY passport and it lives in my room in a set place, it is then only then my responsibility to leave with it when I travel etc.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad it has been found and the panic is over!
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.