Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin day trip advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Dublin day trip advice

My family of 4 is coming to Dublin this summer for 9 days. We are staying at an airbnb in the heart of the city. We decided to do organized day tours rather than renting a car when we go see the sites outside of the city. We are thinking most likely we will do 3 trips. I have found some online that I think would be great, but I hate committing to which day this far in advance. My preference is to wait until we get there and book the day before. My concern is that these trips may sell out. Does anybody have any advice as to whether I should be concerned about that or not?

Also, I know the drinking age is 18. My son will be 16 and I have read somewhere that it is allowed for 16 years olds to have a beer with dinner if they are with their parents. I don't mind letting him order a guinness if it is legal. I just don't want to risk getting in any trouble with the law while over there.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:07 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Children under 18 can drink alcohol in private. A 16-year-old cannot be served alcohol in public nor can they order or purchase it.
ksucats likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
Children under 18 can drink alcohol in private. A 16-year-old cannot be served alcohol in public nor can they order or purchase it.
Ok. So at least we can buy some Guiness and take it back to the room and he can try it.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ksucats
Ok. So at least we can buy some Guiness and take it back to the room and he can try it.
You can get Guiness in Wichita, I am sure. Interesting technology in Guinness cans to get the foam right.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
If we take a day trip to Northern Ireland, he could order a beer there, correct? He is really wanting to just be able to have one legally while in a restaurant to be able to brag to his friends back home.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
You can get Guiness in Wichita, I am sure. Interesting technology in Guinness cans to get the foam right.
I don't know about "right," "Better than nothing at all," maybe.

Another option for the OP would be to buy a pint of draught Guinness in the hotel's pub and then bring it up to their room for the 16-year-old to try.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
I don't know about "right," "Better than nothing at all," maybe.

Another option for the OP would be to buy a pint of draught Guinness in the hotel's pub and then bring it up to their room for the 16-year-old to try.
Yeah, he definitely wants to try it over there. I am sure we will figure something out. We are staying at an airbnb, so the hotel pub option doesn't exist for us.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:01 am

If we take a day trip to Northern Ireland, he could order a beer there, correct?
No, it looks like you'd have to order and pay for it and then give it to him.

I leave to to actual residents of the ROI/NI to chime in, but I just can't see laws on underage consumption being enforced to the degree they are in the US. I find it hard to believe anything untoward would happen if you ordered him a Guinness in a pub in Dublin and gave it to him to drink, especially if it was ONE pint and he didn't draw attention to himself.
ksucats likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, PC Platinum, Redizor SAS Silver
I wouldn't chance that strategy in a Dublin pub. If a 16 year old is spotted with a pint they will soon be removed from the premises and said pint poured away.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by burnsie21
I wouldn't chance that strategy in a Dublin pub. If a 16 year old is spotted with a pint they will soon be removed from the premises and said pint poured away.
That wouldn't bother me one bit. What would bother me is if said 16 year old or parent gets arrested or fined.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
For the UK your 16 year old can consume alcohol legally under certain circumstances. This would be fo the UK. Dublin is in a completely different country so this would not apply.

https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-young-people-law
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
The drinking age in Republic of Ireland is 18. No exceptions. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...d_the_law.html

So if you want your 16 or 17 year old to have a legal drink with dinner you'll need to cross the boarder into the UK.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
The drinking age in Republic of Ireland is 18. No exceptions. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...d_the_law.html

So if you want your 16 or 17 year old to have a legal drink with dinner you'll need to cross the boarder into the UK.
Which includes Northern Ireland if I understand correctly. Is that correct?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
For the UK your 16 year old can consume alcohol legally under certain circumstances. This would be fo the UK. Dublin is in a completely different country so this would not apply.

https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-young-people-law

So if you want your 16 or 17 year old to have a legal drink with dinner you'll need to cross the border into the UK.
Which includes Northern Ireland if I understand correctly. Is that correct?
Correct. The full name of the other country with territory on the island of Ireland is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
ksucats likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:06 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
That's not what the link says. It says what I posted in #2 . Unless your definition of "drinking age" is different from mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.