Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Tube Transfer Stations (easiest, with luggage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

LHR to Vauxhall - looks like "fastest" is showing Piccadilly to Circle/District to Victoria. Assuming this route, which will be the easiest with luggage from Piccadilly to Circle/District? Earls Court, South Ken or Gloucester Rd?
Alternatively, it looks like Piccadilly can transfer at Green Park directly to Victoria. I don't recall Green Park as a particularly friendly (i.e., escalators, etc) station, nor have I ever transferred there. (I've had the good fortune of 20-some London trips within a short walk of Piccadilly Line stations.)

I'm plenty able-bodied, but between a 20lb carry on, and a 40-ish lb piece of luggage, up and down a lot of stairs doesn't seem all that appealing.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's an online tube map that indicates handicapped accessibility. It's not a perfect answer, but this helps. I've also gotten very useful help by contacting my hotel concierge in advance by email and asking about the options for avoiding stairs with luggage between LHR and the hotel. In one case, the answer was to use an alternate almost equally close station and then head for a particular exit without stairs. Perfect.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:20 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can do a cross-platform change from Picc to District at Hammersmith or Barons Court. Victoria station now has lifts, so has a much easier interchange.

Green Park station has lifts too, but they're quite slow, and linked by a lengthy corridor. Alternatively, if you take the escalator towards the exit, you can take another one down to the Victoria Line - saves all sorts of hassles.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's an online tube map that indicates handicapped accessibility.
lots of people have access needs not just the disabled.

there indeed a step free tube map and the tfl journey planner has options to define the journey in terms of access arrangements that might include walking routes and use of escalators and lifts.

For the OP Piccadilly to District line (cross platform change at either Hammersmith or Barons Court and then Victoria line would suit them.There is now a lift between the district and Victoria lines at Victoria.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
You can do a cross-platform change from Picc to District at Hammersmith or Barons Court. Victoria station now has lifts, so has a much easier interchange.

Green Park station has lifts too, but they're quite slow, and linked by a lengthy corridor. Alternatively, if you take the escalator towards the exit, you can take another one down to the Victoria Line - saves all sorts of hassles.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

there indeed a step free tube map and the tfl journey planner has options to define the journey in terms of access arrangements that might include walking routes and use of escalators and lifts.

For the OP Piccadilly to District line (cross platform change at either Hammersmith or Barons Court and then Victoria line would suit them.There is now a lift between the district and Victoria lines at Victoria.
Thanks. Very helpful!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Green Park would be my pick as you can go platform to platform via escalator (follow signs for way out from the Piccadilly up to the main ticket hall, then back down to the Victoria).

Victoria has lifts but can be quite a zoo depending on time of day.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by stut
+1 for Hammersmith or Barons Court. No stairs required at all. I discovered this easy change when staying in South Kensington during a time the Piccadilly line platform at Gloucester Road station was closed for repairs.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:52 pm

Agreed. We always switch at Baron's Court. Going in from LHR, it also gets you on the District earlier so you can snag a seat at busy times. At least that's been my experience.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At some time prior to today's posts, I transferred at Baron's Court. About 5 steps and a minute's wait, and some nice brisk fresh air! Seating the entire way, except for the 2 stops on the Victoria line. That transfer was mildly annoying but not bad.
Later in the day I did a "no luggage" transfer @ Green Park following signs and can see why the suggestion above (go up then down again) makes sense w/bags.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: too many
+1 for Hammersmith or Barons court - Hammersmith station provides better coverage when raining
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Very true. I'm not disabled but I have bad knees and find the step free map to be very helpful.

There's a step free map and avoiding stairs guide here: https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessi...voiding-stairs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.