Wiki Posts
Search

Two U.K. Passports - Entry & Exit on same ones

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Two U.K. Passports - Entry & Exit on same ones

I have two U.K. passports for visa applications etc and I always ensure that I exit and entry countries on the same one. I tend to carry both just for safety and I’ve always wondered if it matters if I come back to the U.K. and use the opposite one to come back in on than the one I left on.

I intentionally don’t, as I assume that it signifies that I am back in the country, but does it really matter?

Just one of those things that I think about whilst in the passport queue! The only references I could find online were for dual nationalities rather than two UK passports.

Many Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Arriving in to the UK it would be irrelevant, but you should always enter and leave a foreign country on the same passport used to enter to avoid difficulties on future visits to that country.
Silver Fox and towns like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I've done this a few times. I just grab the first passport in my bag (yes I do carry both some times).

What Tobias-UK highlights is the KEY point. If you exit a foreign country make sure you use the passport of entry (even if that country doesn't require a Visa).

Entering the UK? It doesn't matter which one you use, even if you used passport A to exit (say china) when you get to the UK you can use Passport B to come in.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Do you carry both UK passports on you or in your hand luggage? Or do you leave one in your checked luggage? I carry both but often wondered which would be best.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This isn't a UK issue actually: At least for the time being it won't matter anywhere in the EEA or Switzerland since Freedom of Movement is the overlying concept and the passport, any EEA+ passport or ID card, will prove eligibility. Therefore this is a more frequent issue for those countries that issue ID cards and people end up grabbing different documents. Some EU countries are wary of this since they don't allow people to leave their country if (e.g.) traffic fines aren't paid and get miffed if people use different paperwork to avoid their responsibilities. The situation from 30 March should become clearer in the next week, but if the UK does become fully Third Country at some point then there will be a requirement to use one passport since we would only be allowed 90 visa-free days in the EU per moving 180 day period.

Your passport isn't normally physically checked by the authorities on departure from the Common Travel area however, and the data supplied by airlines isn't tracked for 99.99% of people, so the question doesn't really arise.
towns likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Thank You all for your responses, very interesting.

To the earlier question, I tend to have them both in my carry on but agree, I should probably keep one on my person.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:46 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by towns
I have two U.K. passports for visa applications etc and I always ensure that I exit and entry countries on the same one. I tend to carry both just for safety and I’ve always wondered if it matters if I come back to the U.K. and use the opposite one to come back in on than the one I left on.
Originally Posted by jahason
Do you carry both UK passports on you or in your hand luggage? Or do you leave one in your checked luggage? I carry both but often wondered which would be best.
Separate question to you guys - why do you carry both passports with you? I've only done that on a couple of trips, where I had different visas in different passports, but I thought that the accepted wisdom was to leave one at home, also 'for safety'
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

I guess in my mind, it is in case the worst should happen whilst away and I manage to lose one. As I said though, in reality I keep them both in the same pocket in my bag thus kind of defeating that logic!

Also with different visas in different ones, I would hate to arrive at check in with the wrong one!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
As mentioned by CWS, nobody really leaves the UK "on" any passport so the question doesn't really arise.

However the UK is the only country that definitely knows the holder of both UK passports is actually the same person, as opposed to two people who happen to have the same details. So even if the UK had exit passport control, the immigration officer would not see any issue with whichever passport you used, whereas other countries may record passport numbers on their immigration systems which could lead to a data mismatch.

Furthermore as a British citizen you have the right to enter and remain in the UK. Presentation of any valid (and in some circumstances invalid) passport is evidence of your citizenship and thus suffices for entry.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by :D!
As mentioned by CWS, nobody really leaves the UK "on" any passport so the question doesn't really arise.
The UK does track who leaves the UK; they do it electronically rather than physically. Airlines, ferries, and train operators are required to capture passport data for each passenger and then provide this to the UK government.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.